Problem with Denon 1909

paparaku

My Denon 1909 has suddenly developed some problem. I have recently shifted my residence from Allahabad to Bangalore. When I set up the AVR, after wiring up the house for a Home Theatre, I found that the set, on switching on goes to stand by mode within about 10-15 seconds. The red light keeps blinking slowly, and I cannot operate the set.The blinking can be stopped if I press the standby button, when the red light becomes steady(i.e. it doesnot blink) and in this mode, my DVD player can output to the TV, through the AVR. When I talked to the dealer on phone he was not surprised and gave me the impression that it is a common problem with Denon. Has any one else experienced it? Is there some way that I can avoid lugging the set to the dealer through the confusing and frustrating Bangalore traffic?

My Denon 1909 has suddenly developed some problem. I have recently shifted my residence from Allahabad to Bangalore. When I set up the AVR, after wiring up the house for a Home Theatre, I found that the set, on switching on goes to stand by mode within about 10-15 seconds. The red light keeps blinking slowly, and I cannot operate the set.The blinking can be stopped if I press the standby button, when the red light becomes steady(i.e. it doesnot blink) and in this mode, my DVD player can output to the TV, through the AVR. When I talked to the dealer on phone he was not surprised and gave me the impression that it is a common problem with Denon. Has any one else experienced it? Is there some way that I can avoid lugging the set to the dealer through the confusing and frustrating Bangalore traffic?

You need to remove all cable/attachments,keep it off,remove plug for 1+ hr.
Rejoin all, without playing on DVDp raise vol >50% with all cables attached,if no same prob, it is safe to play it now OR call service person....

I have seen this happening on mine. IMO the denon is just trying to protect the speakers from damage by going into standby. Just remove all the connections and test one by one and see which connection is causing this spike.

Thanks Spirovious, Maniac and hifipal4all. Your suggestions and support had been most helpful. The set was already unplugged for a few days and ready to be taken for repair. So, I could immediately comply with the suggestions by Spirovious. I tried plugging in the speakers one by one as suggested by maniac. Initially, two speakers appeared to be misbehaving. While doing all these experiments, I noticed that my plug was not getting proper contact at times. So I changed the plug.Voila, suddenly, most problems disappeared, All the speakers started behaving well. I completed the audio calibration for my room with the supplied accessories. After being ON for about 30 mins and doing all the calculations, it again went into the standby mode. But now I suspect the problem to be electric supply/electric contact. This set was purchased when I visited UK in Dec last. Maybe it is a bit sensitive to power fluctuations. Perhaps, I need to invest in a high quality voltage stabilizer as suggested by a friend. Any suggestions on a good quality stabilizer with the required amperage for the set? The rated wattage of Denon 1909 is 450W.

Can you put photographs of plug and the way it is inserted in electrical socket?
I think improper electric contact is a issue and there is a solution .
it is btw small ill fitting 2 pin??

Heat can be another issue here.it can be even due to low quality cables.Try connecting frnt only in stereo mode with thick cables.

did you connect to an UPS? I think someone else on the forum too had a problem with denon due to UPS.

regards

Hello Friends,
I had to move around for the last two days and hence could not respond to you immediately. Thank you hemantwaghe, spirovious and anm for your suggestions. The plug is a 3-pin type with flat pins (British type). It needs an adapter to plug into our sockets as our pins are round. Picture 038.jpg. I took a photo and is attached here. The problem was with the adapter as the contact between the two were not firm. Subsequently, I connected the AVR with a two pin plug which came along with the set and it is working fine now. I didnot connect it through an UPS, though I am considering it. From the feedback received from anm, maybe it is not a good idea. I can always wait and watch as to any further problems developing. As suggested by spirovious, heat could be a problem, but in Allahabad, with the temperatures in the region of 45 degrees, I didnot face a problem. As of now, the only culprit could be the loose contact. I have seen three movies so far and there had been no problems. Hopefully, the problem is resolved.

I think you have diagnosed correctly,try some connectors available at HARDWARE shop,it should work.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back