Problem with Yamaha RS 500

A K Bhattacharjee

I am observing a peculiar behaviour of my Yamah amplifier recently. Although it is almost new, the problem is with the phono option. Whenever I switch on the amp & select the phono option, after some time the system automatically goes back to main menu & comes back after a few seconds. It happens twice or thrice initially thereafter it functions normally. Any help?

Cool, just cross verify whether you need a ground input and the audio out of the TT set to phono. Some players would have builtin phono preamp.

I am observing a peculiar behaviour of my Yamah amplifier recently. Although it is almost new, the problem is with the phono option. Whenever I switch on the amp & select the phono option, after some time the system automatically goes back to main menu & comes back after a few seconds. It happens twice or thrice initially thereafter it functions normally. Any help?

Is there a way to reset the amp? Refer to owners manual and do it....there would be a page on troubleshooting .........the phono section has a dedicated ground slot.....

Is there a way to reset the amp? Refer to owners manual and do it....there would be a page on troubleshooting .........the phono section has a dedicated ground slot.....
I have checked it. Also replaced the ground wire.Problem persists. I do not know if a phono pre amp will solve the issue.

Dear Efernand 1
I am late to reply due to my ill health. The problem remains even after resetting the amp. I have observed that it is with all the menus & not only with phono.

Thanks

I dont have any experience in such kind of issues and i am just speculating....
Is the selection of source in the avr set to automatic.
Do you switch on your source first or your avr.
To me the symptom looks as if the input is set to automatic. The avr looks for an input signal at your current input selection and not finding any, it jumps back to the main menu.

Try first switching on your source first and once it is playing music then only switch on your avr and proceed accordingly.

I am repeating again, i am just speculating and i may be entirely wrong on this issue.

Many times these micro switches disturbs the logic part of the AVR as we mostly use the AVR from remote so get your AVR checked for these micro switches which decides the input source

Many times these micro switches disturbs the logic part of the AVR as we mostly use the AVR from remote so get your AVR checked for these micro switches which decides the input source
I have tried all options even re-connecting the wires but with no result. I have listened carefully when this problem occurs. There is some noise inside. It appears that something is loose & does not connect properly.

Thanks

The noise you listen are the noise of Relays used for protection or there is some problem in your Phono circuit hence after some time the amp goes into some other mode.

Disconnect the turntable and then try switching to phono, So we know that it's not the turntable that is doing something funky.

I want to share my experience with all forum members. As I was trying all possible ways to rectify the problem, when nothing helped me I thought of experimenting with speaker cables. I was using Chord Silver line speaker cables with Bi wired connection. First I changed the Bi wiring to normal single wiring & then I remembered that I was having MX 14 awg Taiwan made speaker cables. After changing the entire cables, I observed that not only the problem has gone to past but what a change in sound output. Highs are so noticeable & clear, which I never heard before. Now listening to my existing set up has made me to fall in love again with them.

Great Share!

Speaker cables / Interconnects do matter....if you have a good system and bad (cheap) interconnects....the system will fail!

Thanks for sharing!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back