Project Genie vs Technics SL-D2

tek

Hello all

I have a Project Genie 2 with an Ortofon 2M red cart. All was well until I started getting a horrible buzzing sound so I took it in for repairs.
So it turns out the bearings inside the tonearm have rusted! And it's not going to be cost effective to fix! :(

I will be getting a Technics SL-D2 TT in the next week or so, and I was wondering how that would hold up as a replacement for the Genie. I will be putting the Ortofon 2M Red on it. Any thoughts on that? WIll it be a big difference between the Genie and the Technics using the same cart? What will be the main differences? I figured I'd use it to tide me over until I can afford a higher end system (but that could be a while!)

Any feedback would be helpful!

Cheers
Tek

genie i suppose has a carbon fibre tonearm 9cc. is it same in your system??
unfortunately changing tonearm might not solve your problem as the bearing is not inbuilt in the arm. however you may have to change the whole tonearm mount which is available from their website.
following is one link but that aint exactly cheap.
Pro-Ject 9cc Tone-Arm - Turntable Parts and Accessories - Hi Fi - Divine Audio
who did u seek the professional help from?? how old is your tt? what is the reat of your rig??
technics is indeed a good player in itself and many prefer its old no frill approach to vinyl sound over newer players.

Hi,

I recently purchased a very old used Technics SL-D212 model TT. Except for some issues with the headshell, the TT is built like a tank. I use a AT-91 cartridge in it. I have ordered a SHURE MX97e, as an upgrade to the AT-91, and a Headshell for it. Will post my impressions shortly.

N.Murali

Thanks, i'm just curious to know opinions on how the Technics SL-D2 would sound with the Ortofon 2M red on it, in comparison to the Project Genie 2... I don't think the Genie has the carbon fiber tonearm, I think i saw that on the Xpression.. not this model. This is a hollow, aluminum-ish tone arm I believe...

I have 2 carts.. the 2M red and the Ortofon OM3E which came with my TT.. so I was going to put the 2M Red on the Technics and move the OM3E back to the Genie..

The 2M Red should sound good on the Technics as it is a high compliance cartridge, and those Technics arms were designed for just that type.

The arm on the Genie is not carbon fibre, a much costlier material that is used on Pro-ject's more expensive TTs.

If it's in good condition the Technics should last for years and give trouble-free service. It might be a good idea, though, to open the base plate, and spray the small circuit board that controls the drive motor with something like WD40 to arrest corrosion.
rgds

denzong, if memory serves me right, this particular tt had a small plinth, with the record diameter being larger than the plinth itself.

It came with a amp and a single detachable speaker.... if its the same then please avoid, as it is meant for mono playback. Also, the SQ is not anything to write home about. It was nice portable module... but that's that.

Thanks for the tips G401fan! I will try to open the base plate in the next day or two.. tried earlier but it was stuck pretty tight so didn't wanna mess around with it too much.

So I went ahead and had Sushil from Nova Audio help me with the cartridge transfer and the Sl-D2 now has the 2M Red on it. So far so good.. sounds pretty decent! Although, I don't think the bass is as loud as it was with the Genie, the cart certainly sounds good on the table. I am happy with it. It's so nice to listen to records again without the jarring sounds being emitted by the Genie I had!

Will def stick to this table for a while, at least until I can trade up in a major way.

Thanks again!

Tek

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back