Projector replacement ideas

There is a third type of projector called the CRT projector. It has three projections simultaneously in red/blue/green. They are oldest in terms of technology. A CRT projector can produce the blackest blacks of all projector types as well as the full range of colour, giving most film-like images. But these are very rarely available to the consumer today and are prohibitively expensive.
I appreciate your knowledge. Not many people are aware of this these days. I myself wanted to buy CRT RPTV for the same reason 5 years ago. But even by then, CRT projection was already phased out and I eventually bought a 3LCD system.

In every way CRT technology was excellent except its price and bulky size.......

@Just4kix - Thanks for the info. However I was specifically referring to projectors based on LED technology. I find these appealing due to the lower maintenance/heat and also the long lamp life... however for now they seem restricted in total lumen output.

I am aware of the more common projector technologies and have owned some of them in the past - LCOS, DLP, LCD etc.

I am using a LED projector for data purpose, indeed it is very appealing for the reasons you said.

Furthermore i often run it for 14 hours a day, there are times when i shut and on the projector within 2 minutes with no problem, if this is not enough there is no waiting period between on and of, followed with a whooping lamp life of over 20,000 hours.

V.

@I was specifically referring to projectors based on LED technology. I find these appealing due to the lower maintenance/heat and also the long lamp life... however for now they seem restricted in total lumen output.

Last edited:
Still caught in the indecisiveness on taking the plunge into 3D.

Has anybody tested/demoed Sony VPL-HW30ES / Sharp Z17000 / Panny AE 7000(5000) ?

Can 3D connoisseurs give feedback on how they are getting along with their respective PJs.

Thanks a bunch.

Still caught in the indecisiveness on taking the plunge into 3D.

Has anybody tested/demoed Sony VPL-HW30ES / Sharp Z17000 / Panny AE 7000(5000) ?

Can 3D connoisseurs give feedback on how they are getting along with their respective PJs.

Thanks a bunch.
As per my views - If you intend to use your new projector for at least 4-5 years, then 3D is a must. You will feel "left out" otherwise.
That said, 3D technology is still maturing and therefore its highly probable that 3D engine being used by today's PJs may become outdated by next year and so on. You should make your mind and mentally accept this possibility before taking the plunge.
I had same dilemma. In the end, I just bought a 2D 720p PJ. I will use it for next 2 years and then make the 3D 1080p jump.

As per my views - If you intend to use your new projector for at least 4-5 years, then 3D is a must. You will feel "left out" otherwise.
That said, 3D technology is still maturing and therefore its highly probable that 3D engine being used by today's PJs may become outdated by next year and so on. You should make your mind and mentally accept this possibility before taking the plunge.
I had same dilemma. In the end, I just bought a 2D 720p PJ. I will use it for next 2 years and then make the 3D 1080p jump.

Went through the demo of SharpZ17000. 3D was alright. Somehow the black levels were not convincing. The technician perhaps not well equipped with the adjustments.
Also demoed 2D Epson 3600 (I think it is same as 8350). The Italian Job Bluray was very grainy. Again do not know if it is an adjustment problem or intrinsic PJ issue.

Dropped going 3D way for now. Will settle for a low-mid range 2D PJ and consider 3D in 2-3 years.

Among the short-list are BenQ1100 (80K), Mitsubishi HC4000(83K) and Panny AE4000 (115K-w/o B&W).

Any input on what should be the final kill?

Dropped going 3D way for now. Will settle for a low-mid range 2D PJ and consider 3D in 2-3 years.

Among the short-list are BenQ1100 (80K), Mitsubishi HC4000(83K) and Panny AE4000 (115K-w/o B&W).

Any input on what should be the final kill?
Panny all the way!

i would recommend Benq w7000 as well. it will beat all the above without problem.

Thanks guys, for the inputs.

After so much of consideration and moments of uncertainty, yesterday I bought the factory sealed box of the PJ!

The dark beauty Panny AE4000 is sitting prettily in my HT room. Will try to mount it over the weekend. 'Made in Japan' stamp is a little extra to cherish, I suppose though it may be purely psychological.

Lot has been said/discussed over more than a year on this piece of equipment, so I won't bother saying how good and relevant it is today considering it was out in 2009. The two hours that ran were amazing and brought out the meaning in my new HT room.

Adieu Sanyo PJ - you have been good to me for the last several years!

Congrats neel
I've got a panny 200u myself. On hindsight should have bought the 4000U since I bought it just a year back. Anyways something to look forward to. I may have missed a post but do you have a dedicated HT room? And what screen do you use. Would be great if you could post some pics. Had been to a friends place yesterday. He's got a dedicated HT room and for the screen he had used plywood coated with automobile putty and matt white paint. The result with his HD65 PJ is just awesome. IIRC the Optoma HD65 is 720p & I found it much better than my system. But then again the dedicated HT room where he could turn the room totally dark and the amazing screen helped.
Gijo

Thanks Gijo. I experimented with a few white-grey shades of paints while the house was being painted and settled for a shade that gave me respectable black level with the old projector. With the Panny, HDMI normal signal/cinema1 mode I get very deep black. Again my room is a basement HT, so darkness is guarenteed when wanted. I am yet to find somebody to take the PJ to the ceiling.

I would go for the Benq 1100, every Movie Theater uses DLP,must be a reason
though I have personally experienced the Pany 4000, Brilliant but needs a dark room, If you have light issues then go for a brighter Projector.

The Panny 4000 is a great buy. You have made the right choice IMHO. I also feel that you have made the right choice by not going for 3D. Now enjoy the magic of 1080p at its fullest! :)

Please share details of the paint (company, colour code) that worked best for you?
Thanks

I used Asian Premium/royal. Starting with pure white we introduced traces of black at different levels. Unfortunately I have not kept a log of it (what a shame!). Try it, you will be rewarded.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back