Projector + screen for bedroom. Help/advice/suggestions required.

nSinghal,
Congrats on your projector.Can you post some pics in daytime of the screen?
When you mention it is 135" ? What is the dimension ? Is it 16:9 ?
I want to know will 8' * 6' feet screen of 16: 9 be good for 8100 , and in this case what will be the screen size ?

Oh this thing is frigging bright. Atleast for now (don't know when the lamp dims). Haven't fooled around with any settings as yet but it was easily bright enough for 133" screen with two tube lights (one on the side wall, another directly opposite the PJ) and still no issues even with 3D movies (of course in dynamic or similar brighter modes). If you'd go for color accuracy, you'd be best off with lights dimmed I guess. To my inexperienced eye, I had no real problem with dynamic mode. Still a lot better than anything I've seen on a TV.

I can't post the pics in daylight though coz there is no window in my room. The only one it had was used for a wall AC. I'll post a few pics with the lights on and off in same color modes though so you can have a general idea :)

Edit: and yes, it is a 16:9 screen. Exact dimensions of viewing area are 116" x 65" (9.7' x 5.4'). Epson is placed about 16 feet away from the screen.

Last edited:
Couldn't wait for the new room to finish (still 3 months away) so pulled the trigger on tw8100 today only. Got a 133" grandview motorised screen too and installed it in my current room. Sitting/lying on my bed at appx 17' away, it looks AWESOME :D

Total damage (so far)...

116k+ 12.5% VAT for the PJ.
37500+ 12.5% VAT for 133" Grandview CNV series motorised.
5500+ 5% tax for the 15 meter hdmi cable (no issues with 3d bluray btw)
2000 for installation

Right now palaced the PJ on two side tables stacked one atop the other. Will be getting a wall mount for the PJ on Monday for about 3500 (iirc).

Also ordered two samsung 3D glasses too. Should be getting them soon.

One down, one to go. The quest for audio (speakers, avr, cables) begins now :eek:

congrats. samsung glasses work well and are cheap. in fact they are a bit brighter than the original epson glasses (in terms of light transmission). But hope you aware they work on lithium batteries (button cell) and are not rechargable

Last edited:
congrats. samsung glasses work well and are cheap. in fact they are a bit brighter than the original epson glasses (in terms of light transmission). But hope you aware they work on lithium batteries (button cell) and are not rechargable

I was not :eek:

Thanks for the info. I'll stock up on some button cells now :D

Just hoping that they come with one inside the box. Am getting them delivered to my home in an hour. Paid quite a bit more than the online price (1700 vs 1300) just so I can have them today (wasnt available anywhere except one shop which was willing to get them and deliver to me at my home today on a national holoday) and enjoy a couple of 3d movies with wife and the kid. Will be a waste if I have to wait till tomm to get the battery -_-

Any place in delhi I can get a demo for the screens? Also, are there tab tensioned screens available here? Just found out about those and seems like its a gurantee any non-fixed screen will get wrinkles/waves in an year (or even sooner) unless its tab tensioned.

You can contact Sanjeev (9810066450) from Savivision. He deals in professional AV setup for corporate. You can give him my reference. May be it can help. Let me know.

Vishu

Couldn't wait for the new room to finish (still 3 months away) so pulled the trigger on tw8100 today only. Got a 133" grandview motorised screen too and installed it in my current room. Sitting/lying on my bed at appx 17' away, it looks AWESOME :D

Total damage (so far)...

116k+ 12.5% VAT for the PJ.
37500+ 12.5% VAT for 133" Grandview CNV series motorised.
5500+ 5% tax for the 15 meter hdmi cable (no issues with 3d bluray btw)
2000 for installation

Right now palaced the PJ on two side tables stacked one atop the other. Will be getting a wall mount for the PJ on Monday for about 3500 (iirc).

Also ordered two samsung 3D glasses too. Should be getting them soon.

One down, one to go. The quest for audio (speakers, avr, cables) begins now :eek:

Amazing setup, many congrats! :)

PS - Where are you in Delhi, would love to see in person some day.

I was not :eek:

Thanks for the info. I'll stock up on some button cells now :D

Just hoping that they come with one inside the box. Am getting them delivered to my home in an hour. Paid quite a bit more than the online price (1700 vs 1300) just so I can have them today (wasnt available anywhere except one shop which was willing to get them and deliver to me at my home today on a national holoday) and enjoy a couple of 3d movies with wife and the kid. Will be a waste if I have to wait till tomm to get the battery -_-

still works out more cost effective. these are the same thin button cells that you see in pioneer car stereo remote controls. the price difference at mrp (Rs 1300, vs. 6000+ for OE epson), versus 100hrs usage per cell you could literally buy a 100+ buttons cells for the cost to be neutral (that would be 10,000 hrs or 5000 movies or almost 7 years if watch 2 movies every day of the year ) Of course, you can get epson glasses lower than MRP, though.

Last edited:
Amazing setup, many congrats! :)

PS - Where are you in Delhi, would love to see in person some day.
Not sure how I feel about inviting total strangers at my home but we'll see. Not before I move to my new home though. :)

As far as PJ demo is concerned, Abhi Projections (from where I bought the PJ & screen) have a nice PJ demo room set up in tilak nagar with a Panny PJ, 120" curved screen, 120" motorised grandview screen and polk speakers. You'll find a tata sky HD connection, PS3 (with move controller), downloaded 480p movie demo, blu rays to test out how everything looks on the PJ complete with a couple of recliners, mood lighting and even a couple of lights directly above the Screen (so you can check out how it looks with lights on). If that room doesn't sell you on the idea of a PJ/home theater in your home, nothing ever will :p

still works out more cost effective. these are the same thin button cells that you see in pioneer car stereo remote controls. the price difference at mrp (Rs 1300, vs. 6000+ for OE epson), versus 100hrs usage per cell you could literally buy a 100+ buttons cells for the cost to be neutral (that would be 10,000 hrs or 5000 movies or almost 7 years if watch 2 movies every day of the year ) Of course, you can get epson glasses lower than MRP, though.

The glasses showed up and fortunately the box contained batteries. I kinda prefer the darkness of epson glasses. But they are too huge and heavy compared to samasung. So overall I'd rank both of them pretty equal. But considering the price, Samsung's glasses easily become the default choice for extra glasses. Gonna get a couple more soon. Or else I'd be watching 3D movies without 3d glasses once my nephew and neice come back home next week.

Watched titanic in 3D today. Not bad for a digitally converted 3d movie. Only thing I am not liking about 3d blu rays is that there doesn't seem to be a way to play 3D movies in 2D. Son got tired of the 3D glasses after an hour and just wanted to continue it in 2D. Titanic had another separate disc for 2D but Avengers was 3D only. Why is it so difficult to just show frames for one eye if the users wants to? Or does it have something to do with my ps3's limited functionality as a Blu ray player?

Last edited:
For those considering tw8100 and assuming its the same as 5020ub sold in the US, its not. Not exactly atleast. It seems like its the same hardware but there's some difference in software. There is no THX mode in tw8100. They cut corners by not getting this PJ ISF certified. Shouldn't make a difference in the end but with the thx mode you'd get an almost calibrated image withou actually paying for OR bothering with calibration yourself.

There is however a cinema and normal mode which look pretty much the same as thx mode. Here's a link comparing the three modes Epson Home Cinema 5020 Projector Performance

To enjoy a movie and to keep away completely from a multiplex this is among the ideas of how a movie room should be at our place.

V.

As far as PJ demo is concerned, Abhi Projections (from where I bought the PJ & screen) have a nice PJ demo room set up in tilak nagar with a Panny PJ, 120" curved screen, 120" motorised grandview screen and polk speakers. complete with a couple of recliners, mood lighting and even a couple of lights directly above the Screen (so you can check out how it looks with lights on). If that room doesn't sell you on the idea of a PJ/home theater in your home, nothing ever will :p

Yesterday, after almost two months, I watched a movie in theater (not coz of the PJ I got installed but coz I was busy) yesterday. Now it (fun cinemas pitampura) wasn't a pvr or similar class multiplex, more like a 5/10 rating theater (where pvr gold class @ ambience mall would be 10/10) but its still a decent enough theater and I have seen quite a few movies there as its close to my place. I was seated at mid row (appx 35' from screen I guess) and at that distance, the screen seemed just a tad bigger (say 25%) than what my 133" screen looks from 17 feet.

Taking all that into account (screen size and distance), I'd say the epson's PQ is about 5 times better than what I saw in the theater yesterday. No way I'm going to that theater anymore. It's either Cineplex subhash nagar or DT shalimar bagh from now on. No more B grade halls like M2k and Fun anymore! Would rather wait for the bluray than wasting my time there.

Just need to decide on the speakers now. Still will be while before I move to my new home and am able to enjoy the total cinema experience at home. Can't wait :D

Glad that you are having a great time with the new movie experience. I am planning a similar route for my satisfaction in my 17'x13' bedroom. Although, I have been advised negatively to have a pj+screen in a bedroom as it's considered impractical. But looking at the skyhigh prices of 75" tv's, I have for now thought about retaining my 51" samsung plasma (earlier had planned to get the 65" panasonic or 64" samsung plasma) + add a motorised pj screen on top of it for occasional BIG screen experience. This should cost me the same or even less then the money I would spend on a tv and still be left craving for more. Tv would be used primarily by my wife for her daily soaps as I plan to use game and movie on the pj+screen.

Btw would have any recommendation for the screen size that I should opt for considering that out of that 13' total width of the wall, I have 9'6" wall left for my needs after taking out the door on the right side. As of now I am planning to go for CM9 theatre and would not want the screen to cover them up / overshadow them. Also, for 15-16' viewing distance, at what height should the screen be installed? I was told to place my current tv at 42" from the floor level to have the best experience.

Any/all suggestions are more then welcome. Thanks!

Yesterday, after almost two months, I watched a movie in theater (not coz of the PJ I got installed but coz I was busy) yesterday. Now it (fun cinemas pitampura) wasn't a pvr or similar class multiplex, more like a 5/10 rating theater (where pvr gold class @ ambience mall would be 10/10) but its still a decent enough theater and I have seen quite a few movies there as its close to my place. I was seated at mid row (appx 35' from screen I guess) and at that distance, the screen seemed just a tad bigger (say 25%) than what my 133" screen looks from 17 feet.

Taking all that into account (screen size and distance), I'd say the epson's PQ is about 5 times better than what I saw in the theater yesterday. No way I'm going to that theater anymore. It's either Cineplex subhash nagar or DT shalimar bagh from now on. No more B grade halls like M2k and Fun anymore! Would rather wait for the bluray than wasting my time there.

Just need to decide on the speakers now. Still will be while before I move to my new home and am able to enjoy the total cinema experience at home. Can't wait :D

Glad that you are having a great time with the new movie experience. I am planning a similar route for my satisfaction in my 17'x13' bedroom. Although, I have been advised negatively to have a pj+screen in a bedroom as it's considered impractical. But looking at the skyhigh prices of 75" tv's, I have for now thought about retaining my 51" samsung plasma (earlier had planned to get the 65" panasonic or 64" samsung plasma) + add a motorised pj screen on top of it for occasional BIG screen experience. This should cost me the same or even less then the money I would spend on a tv and still be left craving for more. Tv would be used primarily by my wife for her daily soaps as I plan to use game and movie on the pj+screen.

Btw would have any recommendation for the screen size that I should opt for considering that out of that 13' total width of the wall, I have 9'6" wall left for my needs after taking out the door on the right side. As of now I am planning to go for CM9 theatre and would not want the screen to cover them up / overshadow them. Also, for 15-16' viewing distance, at what height should the screen be installed? I was told to place my current tv at 42" from the floor level to have the best experience.

You can go for a 110" or 120" 16:9 screen

Your room is pretty much the same size as my current room (17.5' x 12.5' appx). I have the 133" screen installed here and currently its about 27" above the floor. It's a little higher than what I'd prefer. Earlier I had it about 18" above the floor and that seemed perfect to me. Experimenting with the size as in my new room the screen will be atleast 27" above floor. But, its not that huge a difference and this will work too. Still haven't decided if I should get it replaced for a 120" instead. From 16+ feet, the 133" screen looks perfect. It gives you the theater feel which no tv can.

But, you want to place it above or between the FS. Then you'd probably need to get ~110" screen (96"wide), leaving you more enough space to put the FS on the sides of the screen. But that might have some issues as the FS will be placed too close to the corner. Audio isn't really my forte so please make sure the placement of the speakers that close to the won't create any issues with the sound. No point in soending lacs of rupees on the audio on to mess it up with wrong placement.

For PJ in the bedroom, I am having no issues with it. A long as you have a tv in the room, it'll be fine. :)

Last edited:
My current plan would be tata sky HD (~60%), ps3/360 (~20%), blu ray/3d (~10%) and some downloaded 720p (or higher) stuff (~10%). And if don't totally hate the SD content on it, I might also watch the odd tata sky SD channels. If its totally ugly then there's always a TV hiding behind the screen a click away.

The reason projector won't work for me in a living room is that I don't really spend much time there. Also my interests in TV doesn't match anyone else's in my home. My room will have two windows one of which is really small and not going to affect the projector much (it's on the 6'3" wall). Second one (on 24'9" wall) opens inside the home and won't get direct sunlight. And then there will be curtains on both of them anyways. And in the end, if I really do end up not using the projector, I can always put it in the basement or the living room for others to enjoy.

Now about the artifacts you mention which will be visible on the big screen. I don't really understand why this would be a problem. Right now I occasionally watch downloaded 480p TV rips on my ipad 3. Now even though the screen is a tiny in comparison, it's a hell lot more closer too. I watch it about 18 inches away from my eyes. At that distance, the screen (even for 16:9 content) is about 4+ times bigger to my eyes than my current 54 inch RPTV at about 22 feet away. Here's a pic to explain what I'm trying to say...

Why would the artifacts bother me on the 120" screen from that distance when I can't see on the ipad screen which looks as big as the 120 screen (except its closer to my eyes)? And I'm not even using 720p here. It's all 2-300mb 480p stuff. Now I'm not saying there isn't any problem with the vodeo on ipad. I do see some artifacts when there's big portion of the screen with single color spectrum (sky shots for exp). But nothing that bothers me enough. I'm asking it as a genuine question. Do you think it'll be worse on the screen than its on the ipad?

You can safely expect a decent image quality for all 720p and above sources at that distance. On a reference, I watch a 110" fixed screen from 16' and I can comfortably watch 720p rips and SD contents are not bad either. On a side note, when going for non-fixed screens make sure your ceiling fans will not make any waving disturbances.

720p stuff does look good enough but SD, to me personally, definitely not worth it. DVDs are watchable (but nowhere close to 720/1080p) but SD content on dth is just downright garbage. I tried it with epson's split screen so that the image shrinks to about 65" (instead of 133") and that's the max size I can watch those. Anything bigger and it starts getting worse instead of better.

You can safely expect a decent image quality for all 720p and above sources at that distance. On a reference, I watch a 110" fixed screen from 16' and I can comfortably watch 720p rips and SD contents are not bad either. On a side note, when going for non-fixed screens make sure your ceiling fans will not make any waving disturbances.

Arunsankar : Any reason why you went for 110" screen ? Even 120" would have been good for your distance. I see its a DIY screen .. can you please post pics of your screen if possible?

Arunsankar : Any reason why you went for 110" screen ? Even 120" would have been good for your distance. I see its a DIY screen .. can you please post pics of your screen if possible?

The main reason was that my PJ won't go above 115" at that distance, its an entry level DLP. Also, with my seating, I found 110 to be comfortable to eyes. Pictures, I am not in town now and will post asap. Between, I've posted some pics in diplomat's mini theater thread. Here's the link. Sorry, its just mobile quality photos but for reference, it'll do.

http://www.hifivision.com/home-thea...y-mini-theater-acer-k130-led-projector-3.html

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back