Projectors shootout

shredder

Of late I have come across a few posts on this forum seeking advice on projectors, Heres hoping that this post can help somewhat. This is a comparision between three popular projectors: Epson 2030, LG PF1500G, and LG PF1000UW.

Some things that I would like to make clear before proceeding. I am not a professional reviewer by any stretch of the imagination. The images that I am posting were all taken with a Nikon Coolpix S9100 using the Night Landscape mode. The camera was initially set to the Auto mode; what this did was that the camera would automatically use its built-in post processing effects to brighten the image a very helpful feature when you are clicking away in parties but not so useful when aiming for accuracy. I then selected the Night Landscape mode because it gives a more relatively accurate picture of how the image looks to the human eye. Again, please note that the images taken by the camera in this mode still do not give an accurate reproduction of how the image would look to the human eye. But what I am hoping is to show the picture quality of the three projectors relative to each other.

On to projection surface: two projector screens were used. One is an Optoma Greywolf II screen (92 inches diagonal) with a grey screen and 1.8 gain.
GreyWolf_zps0yqubslr.jpg

The other is a generic portable tripod screen (6ft x 4ft). Why two projector screens? The answer is that the LG PF1000 is an ultra short projector and for some reason short throw projectors do not do well with high gain screens. The image becomes dark when viewed from front and center but becomes progressively brighter as you move to the side similar to what happens when you view images on a TN monitor, but in reverse.

The first series of pictures will show the Epson 2030 projecting on to the Greywolf screen.
Epson%202300_zps8ir3j5sx.jpg

Note that I shot pictures of the projectors displaying still images only. This was done to avoid introducing image blur owing to slow camera shutter speeds.

The image showing the black and white shades is in 4:3 aspect ratio. The extended black bars to either side are due to the absence of an image.
Epson%20Black%20and%20grey_zpspiptoskh.jpg

Other images
Epson%20pic%204_zpstdcnmgrl.jpg

Epson%20pic%203_zps8sabpky4.jpg

The artifacts in dark images is due to digital noise introduced by camera ISO settings. They are not actually present in the image.

Epson%20pic%202_zpsl0wluonu.jpg

Epson%20pic%201_zpsrcz9mvna.jpg

Now on to the LG PF1500G.
LG%20PF1500%20Projector_zpsgs93k5tt.jpg

And yes, this is the European version, which supposedly is not as bright as the US version. However, I have come across a post in some forum where it is mentioned that the initial units of the European versions were not as bright - the later ones, though, apparently have the same level of brightness as the US ones.

LG%20PF1500%20Pic%203%20Portable_zpsmdork74n.jpg

LG%20PF1500%20Pic%202%20Portable_zpsuhdqybnm.jpg

LG%20PF1500%20Pic%201%20Portable_zpsyenam4b9.jpg

LG%20PF1500%20Black%20and%20Grey%20Portable_zps4xcbtcqz.jpg

The pics above were projected onto the portable tripod screen. The pics below show the same projector image on the Greywolf.
LG%20PF1500%20Pic%204%20Greywolf_zpsqrnnokcf.jpg

LG%20PF1500%20Pic%203%20Greywolf_zpsq6as12b9.jpg

LG%20PF1500%20Pic%202%20Greywolf_zpsn7ljjdjm.jpg

LG%20PF1500%20Pic%201%20Greywolf_zps1vsfxfiw.jpg

LG%20PF1500%20Black%20and%20Grey%20Greywolf_zpsqle0uexx.jpg

And finally the PF1000UW.
LG%20PF1000%20Projector_zpslnj0uxin.jpg

This is the newer version of the PF1000U. It is an ultra short throw (UST) projector and I must say that it is a rather convenient projector to use. Just place it a few inches in front of the screen and you have yourself a very bright and vibrant image. The projection surface, though, must be smooth otherwise the image will appear wavy. I am happy to confirm that the portable tripod projector I have is perfect for the job. No waves in the image. I have seen reports backed up by images which suggest that tripod screens display waves with this particular projector. I guess I got lucky - or maybe some people got unlucky.;)

LG%20PF1000%20Pic%203_zpsigutqfkk.jpg

LG%20PF1000%20Pic%202_zpsmfiy06c9.jpg

LG%20PF1000%20Pic%201_zps64yrczd4.jpg

LG%20PF1000%20Black%20and%20Grey_zpsxztssvi2.jpg

Like I mentioned earlier, this is not a professional review. For instance, the picture settings on all the projectors were not set to the exact same values - though they were all on CINEMA mode. So if a particular projector's colours seem muted it could be because the colour has been tuned down. I don't like my colours oversaturated so most of the colour settings will probably be on the lower side of the spectrum.

Hope this proves helpful to some forum members who are on the fence about what model of projector to go for.

Last edited:
Photos visible in Tapatalk app but not on hifivision.com, both seen on mobile. Strange.

Of late I have come across a few posts on this forum seeking advice on projectors, Heres hoping that this post can help somewhat. This is a comparision between three popular projectors: Epson 2030, LG PF1500G, and LG PF1000UW.

Some things that I would like to make clear before proceeding. I am not a professional reviewer by any stretch of the imagination. The images that I am posting were all taken with a Nikon Coolpix S9100 using the Night Landscape mode. The camera was initially set to the Auto mode; what this did was that the camera would automatically use its built-in post processing effects to brighten the image a very helpful feature when you are clicking away in parties but not so useful when aiming for accuracy. I then selected the Night Landscape mode because it gives a more relatively accurate picture of how the image looks to the human eye. Again, please note that the images taken by the camera in this mode still do not give an accurate reproduction of how the image would look to the human eye. But what I am hoping is to show the picture quality of the three projectors relative to each other.

On to projection surface: two projector screens were used. One is an Optoma Greywolf II screen (92 inches diagonal) with a grey screen and 1.8 gain.
GreyWolf_zps0yqubslr.jpg

The other is a generic portable tripod screen (6ft x 4ft). Why two projector screens? The answer is that the LG PF1000 is an ultra short projector and for some reason short throw projectors do not do well with high gain screens. The image becomes dark when viewed from front and center but becomes progressively brighter as you move to the side similar to what happens when you view images on a TN monitor, but in reverse.

The first series of pictures will show the Epson 2030 projecting on to the Greywolf screen.
Epson%202300_zps8ir3j5sx.jpg

Note that I shot pictures of the projectors displaying still images only. This was done to avoid introducing image blur owing to slow camera shutter speeds.

The image showing the black and white shades is in 4:3 aspect ratio. The extended black bars to either side are due to the absence of an image.
Epson%20Black%20and%20grey_zpspiptoskh.jpg

Other images
Epson%20pic%204_zpstdcnmgrl.jpg

Epson%20pic%203_zps8sabpky4.jpg

The artifacts in dark images is due to digital noise introduced by camera ISO settings. They are not actually present in the image.

Epson%20pic%202_zpsl0wluonu.jpg

Epson%20pic%201_zpsrcz9mvna.jpg

LG%20PF1500%20Projector_zpsgs93k5tt.jpg

And yes, this is the European version, which supposedly is not as bright as the US version. However, I have come across a post in some forum where it is mentioned that the initial units of the European versions were not as bright - the later ones, though, apparently have the same level of brightness as the US ones.

LG%20PF1500%20Pic%203%20Portable_zpsmdork74n.jpg

LG%20PF1500%20Pic%202%20Portable_zpsuhdqybnm.jpg

LG%20PF1500%20Pic%201%20Portable_zpsyenam4b9.jpg

LG%20PF1500%20Black%20and%20Grey%20Portable_zps4xcbtcqz.jpg

The pics above were projected onto the portable tripod screen. The pics below show the same projector image on the Greywolf.
LG%20PF1500%20Pic%204%20Greywolf_zpsqrnnokcf.jpg

LG%20PF1500%20Pic%203%20Greywolf_zpsq6as12b9.jpg

LG%20PF1500%20Pic%202%20Greywolf_zpsn7ljjdjm.jpg

LG%20PF1500%20Pic%201%20Greywolf_zps1vsfxfiw.jpg

LG%20PF1500%20Black%20and%20Grey%20Greywolf_zpsqle0uexx.jpg

LG%20PF1000%20Projector_zpslnj0uxin.jpg

This is the newer version of the PF1000U. It is an ultra short throw (UST) projector and I must say that it is a rather convenient projector to use. Just place it a few inches in front of the screen and you have yourself a very bright and vibrant image. The projection surface, though, must be smooth otherwise the image will appear wavy. I am happy to confirm that the portable tripod projector I have is perfect for the job. No waves in the image. I have seen reports backed up by images which suggest that tripod screens display waves with this particular projector. I guess I got lucky - or maybe some people got unlucky.;)

LG%20PF1000%20Pic%203_zpsigutqfkk.jpg

LG%20PF1000%20Pic%202_zpsmfiy06c9.jpg

LG%20PF1000%20Pic%201_zps64yrczd4.jpg

LG%20PF1000%20Black%20and%20Grey_zpsxztssvi2.jpg

Like I mentioned earlier, this is not a professional review. For instance, the picture settings on all the projectors were not set to the exact same values - though they were all on CINEMA mode. So if a particular projector's colours seem muted it could be because the colour has been tuned down. I don't like my colours oversaturated so most of the colour settings will probably be on the lower side of the spectrum.

Hope this proves helpful to some forum members who are on the fence about what model of projector to go for.
Saw the images on the app. Is it fair to conclude in the environment, the pf>lg>Epson?

Also, if it is a light controlled room then any reason for a 1.8 gain screen?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Damn. What happened to the pics that I so painstakingly posted?? It was definitely showing right after I posted it. Let me see what I can do.....

Looks like HFV needs to update its photobucket. Can you please upload images somewhere else and repost?

I am posting again here what I originally posted earlier. This is due to the fact that the photos uploaded to photobucket were not displaying properly. Hope I am not breaking any forum rules. Mods, please let me know if it is a problem. I can start a new thread.

This is a comparision between three popular projectors: Epson 2030, LG PF1500G, and LG PF1000UW.

jqhYiOw.jpg

ctkcXYP.jpg

lS2gvGC.jpg

Other images:

TyV6NqE.jpg

drAmXqm.jpg

nPaAKd4.jpg

fwMhckJ.jpg

pFX4FVv.jpg

And yes, this is the European version, which supposedly is not as bright as the US version. However, I have come across a post in some forum where it is mentioned that the initial units of the European versions were not as bright - the later ones, though, apparently have the same level of brightness as the US ones. This particular one is very bright indeed.

agkBI6w.jpg

6fnm6XH.jpg

h9rL2dT.jpg

V73O4I7.jpg

b4hhOwg.jpg

ngst5XJ.jpg

vVJUEA0.jpg

ccbwqJu.jpg

3gtUpD9.jpg

This is the newer version of the PF1000U. It is an ultra short throw (UST) projector and I must say that it is a rather convenient projector to use. Just place it a few inches in front of the screen and you have yourself a very bright and vibrant image. The projection surface, though, must be smooth otherwise the image will appear wavy. I am happy to confirm that the portable tripod projector I have is perfect for the job. No waves in the image. I have seen reports backed up by images which suggest that tripod screens display waves with this particular projector. I guess I got lucky - or maybe some people got unlucky.

JVNpHeb.jpg

KQrCfR8.jpg

PZKDvZ7.jpg

G5H2Md7.jpg

Hope these photos don't do the disappearing trick again:). A big thank you to elangoas for the Imgur suggestion.

Saw the images on the app. Is it fair to conclude in the environment, the pf>lg>Epson?

Also, if it is a light controlled room then any reason for a 1.8 gain screen?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Good question. It would be extremely difficult to definitively say that one is better than the other. They are all equally bright and vibrant. What might affect your decision is a number of factors: which brings me to an important point that I wanted to mention initially but did not, for fear that the post would be too long and hence boring.
The Epson, being an LCD projector, does not display RBE artifacts. (In case, you don't know what RBE is, then take my sincere advice and don't go researching RBE and trying to "see" it like I did. You cannot "un-see" it once you start seeing it). The other tech which is known as DLP has been known to display RBE artifacts for those who are susceptible to it. Note that not all people are susceptible to RBE. Unfortunately, I am not one of those lucky ones who are blind to RBE. (I was, but then a chance reading about RBE and some research later .........:mad:)
So, at this point we should be clear that RBE is not something that you want to be seeing. Both the LG projectors mentioned here are DLP LED projectors. They have an LED light source and do not have a spinning colour wheel like the more traditional lamp based projectors. Which has led some people to assume that DLP LED projectors are free from RBE. Which cannot be further from the truth. I have seen RBE in all three of the LED projectors I have (the third one being an LG PB60G). But again, this is highly subjective and depends from person to person. I am sure that some, if not most, people will not see RBE on LED projectors. You just need to check whether you fall into the category of unfortunates who see RBE in LED projectors. That being said, it is not too severe and will probably only be visible if you look for it or in some scenes - like in very dark scenes where there are flashes of brilliant light. Try as I might, I was unable to see RBE in bright scenes. But in scenes like the beginning of Schindler's List, when a candle is lighted in a dark room, you might just see a few flashes here and there.

RBE is one reason why someone who is susceptible to RBE should go for the Epson 2030, or any LCD projector over DLP LED projectors. But to reiterate: RBE in either the PF1500 and PF1000 is not too severe. It is just that the Epson 2030, being an LCD projector, does not display RBE.

As for other points to consider: the Epson is a lamp based projector and the lamp is rated at around 6000 hours in ECO mode while both of the LGs are LED projectors with a rated lamp life of 30,000 hours.

The Epson 2030 is more power hungry and can consume anywhere from 190 watts to 230 watts (measured using APC BR1000G-IN, which may not be pin-point accurate). The LG projectors will consume less than a third of that; so if reducing electricity bills are a priority and you are going to use the projector daily then that may sway you towards the LED camp.

Fan noise: the Epson 2030 is not distractingly loud, but it is audible all the same; understandable, given that it has to work to cool an extremely hot lamp. You may be able to hear the fan noise in quiet scenes.
The LG projectors, on the other hand, have three brightness levels - Maximum (Eco mode), Medium and Minimum (brightest). At the brightest level the fan goes crazy and makes a very audible whining sound. However, at Maximum and Medium mode, the fans become whisper-quiet. You really cannot hear them unless you put your ear to the fans. And the LED projectors run really cool. The Epson on the other hand - let's put it this way; you wouldn't want to handle it immediately after a two hour long movie.

I also noticed that both the LED projectors produce a slightly sharper image than the Epson 2030 (all the projectors are 1080p BTW). You will definitely not notice this unless you are comparing the projectors so if you own the Epson 2030 you are not going to find anything wanting with respect to the clarity. Suffice to say that they all produce a very sharp picture.
These are some of the things you should keep in mind if you are in a quandary over whether to go for LCD or LED projectors.

As for your question regarding the need for a 1.8 gain screen in a light controlled room....... you may get slightly deeper blacks owing to the grey screen. However, there is a trade-off here. The high gain means that the screen is probably glass beaded which may cause you to see "sparklies" in very bright scenes.

Last edited:
@shredder, thanks for the comparison using same screen & enlightening posts on RBE..

From the images, LG PF1500G seems to popup with great colours.. I have read that RGB-LED PJ have wider colour gamut than the LCD one's.. May be this could be the reason..

Looks like 1,000 lumens (or lesser) of DLP-LED PJ brightness is = 2,000 lumens of 3 LCD-Lamp based PJ..

Is it possible to project all three on the same tripod based screen so that one variable is removed?

Is the colour reproduction better in the LG?

i am planing to buy LG PF1500G and gray screen with 1.0 gain for my living room. is it right combination? purpose to watch movies.

Is it possible to project all three on the same tripod based screen so that one variable is removed?

Regarding projecting the Epson 2030 on the tripod screen I'll see what I can do when I get time.

As for colour reproduction, the LG may have a slight edge over the LCD based Epson. It certainly appears so from the pictures though I do remember turning the colours way down on the Epson.

As for colour reproduction, the LG may have a slight edge over the LCD based Epson. It certainly appears so from the pictures though I do remember turning the colours way down on the Epson.

By personal experience, I know that Epson's colours are excellent like an LCD/LED TV (except for blacks). That goes for even their lowest models.

The pictures that are posted here did not represent that and may mislead someone into believing otherwise. Either this particular projector is faulty or its settings are incorrect. The default "cinema" mode settings are good enough to get great colours.

By personal experience, I know that Epson's colours are excellent like an LCD/LED TV (except for blacks). That goes for even their lowest models.

The pictures that are posted here did not represent that and may mislead someone into believing otherwise. Either this particular projector is faulty or its settings are incorrect. The default "cinema" mode settings are good enough to get great colours.

True that. If you read the original post I clearly mentioned that variables like camera settings need to be factored in and the pictures posted here do not accurately reflect the actual images as they appear to the human eye. They are only there to give you an idea of how the projectors perform relative to each other.

I am assuming here that anyone who is trying to make a purchase decision will have the maturity to do so on the basis of what has been written instead of merely judging by the pictures alone.

Like you, I also have a lot of personal experience with projectors, and not just Epson projectors. So I can assure you that this particular projector is not defective in any way. As for the settings, it all boils down to personal preference, so I would hesitate before labelling someone's preference "incorrect".

As for the settings, it all boils down to personal preference, so I would hesitate before labelling someone's preference "incorrect".

There are many who won't even register on this forum or many who are members but won't ask many questions. And as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Your initial post shows Epson's colours as being very dull while the LG projector's colours as being very bright.

That has already created some confusion here:

@shredder, thanks for the comparison using same screen & enlightening posts on RBE..

From the images, LG PF1500G seems to popup with great colours..

@shredder, I just wanted to alert others viewing this thread not to get misled by those differences in the pics and not attack you. I don't think you have done anything intentionally.

By "incorrect", I meant that you have to reset the settings on the Epson to the default if your preference is to get the colours that are being shown on the LG projector. The Epson is capable of much greater colours.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back