Proper way to connect AVR + TV + DTH HD?

manojdaran

I have 2 options in mind, to connect AVR, TV and DTH altogether. But want to know which is the best in terms of Video and Audio quality?

Option 1

Connect the Set Top box using HDMI cable to the TV
[HDMI OUT in Set top box to HDMI ARC in TV]

SPDIF cable [optical cable] connections from TV to AVR

Option 2

Connect the Set Top Box using HDMI cable to AVR [in the HDCP2.2 slot]
TV is connected to AVR using HDMI ARC

Also SPDIF cable connected from TV to AVR [dont know if its needed]

These are the 2 options I have in mind, guys suggest me the best option for a better viewing and listening experience. Thanks

Hi

I have connected Option 1
Reasons........incase of any current passing through HDMI cable....it will affect the TV only.

If I connect a USB stick to the TV, I can still get audio via Optical cable to the AVR......so whatever is seen on TV gets amplified.

Option 2 also works.......Set Top Box (STB) signal is fed to AVR and then to TV........you will also need to add Optical from TV to AVR if you want to amplify some content played through TV usb port.

In short.....Option 1 is much safer ....the challenge is the kind of TV signals we get from STB...some are only 2 channel or DD or DD+....also the volume output may vary and hence advisable to Adjust Source volume settings on AVR....

Connect the Set Top Box using HDMI cable to AVR [in the HDCP2.2 slot] TV is connected to AVR using HDMI ARC

This would be better..

Also SPDIF cable connected from TV to AVR [dont know if its needed]

If your TV is HDMI-ARC capable, then there wouldn't be a need to connect thru optical..

If your TV has Arc, then connect all sources to TV. ARC port to the receiver. TV audio for sources that don't need your entire HT setup else audio from receiver.

No optical signal needed anywhere.

My TV has no Arc, so all my sources go to the receiver. Receiver is set to pass through signal if it's in stand by mode.

MaSh

I'll go with Eddy's solution and use optical cable.
Optical cable is safer for the AVR. I have heard a lot of cases in this forum where the AVR's HDMI board got damaged due to DTH.

Connect the Set Top Box using HDMI cable to AVR and TV is connected to AVR using HDMI ARC
Well, in this case you need to power on your AVR always which is not required.
But another option Connect STB using HDMI to TV. Also connect HDMI ARC from TV to AVR.
So without AVR is on, you hear normal sound of TV. Once you switch on AVR, automatically AVR speakers are active (Source select TV in AVR)

Thanks for the suggestion guys, tried all the options. I couldnt find any difference though. Now, went with STB to AVR. Then AVR to TV via ARC.

DTH -> AVR (via HDMI)
AVR -> TV (via HDMI)

AVR processor besides amplification, also cleans signals. Depends on AVR though. That said, at least it won’t make signal quality any less. Therefore, option 2.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back