Protection for stereo and HT

renjith lal

Hi All,

I am looking for some protection for my stereo and HT setup.
At times in my apartment there will be voltage fluctuations but it is not there all the time. But I don't want to take risk and want to protect equipment.

I should go with a good stabilizer from V guard or servo stabilizers or CVT?
I went through the forum and found many posts on the same topic but not able to decide.

Can some one tell me what is best for my case.

Thanks
Renjith

Home UPS with voltage protection and then a spike buster from the likes of Belkin.

Been using for a good 3-4 years without any issues.

Thanks Audiodoc, regeHA.

UPS will help you to prevent sudden shutdown and you can switch it off if power is not there for long time.If I have to go with UPS then I need to get pure sine wave one no?

Can I know other than UPS what is the best option,I mean if I need to go for a good stabilizer? Or first preference is online UPS then servo stabilizer or some other stabilizer?

Please let me know.

Thanks Audiodoc, regeHA.

UPS will help you to prevent sudden shutdown and you can switch it off if power is not there for long time.If I have to go with UPS then I need to get pure sine wave one no?

Can I know other than UPS what is the best option,I mean if I need to go for a good stabilizer? Or first preference is online UPS then servo stabilizer or some other stabilizer?

Please let me know.

Yeah, I use Pure Sine Wave, from Luminous. 1KVA will cost 20-25K or thereabouts IIRC... been 3 years.

I'd go with UPS first line. Surge protection next. Stabilizer... I don't use for all equipment. Only TVs.

Stabilizers are essential in those areas were the supply voltage is below 200 to 220 volts and they are many in india. In such scenario ups alone will not work because whenever voltage will fall the ups will shift to battery power. At the same time charging will be inadequate. In such situation an automatic step up transformer or a servo is essential before the ups.

I use a vguard stabilizer + two 1KW UPS . Receiver and media player connected to one, and BR & PJ connected to the other one.

Can any one tell me what are the advantages of servo stabilizers over good digital stabilizers? Also how good is V guard digi 200. One of my friend said Digi 200 is very sensitive and will shut the system even if there is minor voltage fluctuation hence he moved to other stabilizer.

One good amplifier repair person suggested to use good digital stabilizers over servo stabilizers. Bit confused to make the decision. :mad:

Please share your thoughts.

Mine is vguard digi 200, and its protecting me well I think. When there is a voltage fluctuation beyond a limit, it trips but my UPS takes from there and so I am covered

Ok, I heard that Did 200 trips a lot.
Can you tell me how UPS take care when stabilizer trips?

As of now I am planning to use either a servo or digi 200. Not thinking of getting UPS. Shutting down due to power failure is not a major issue I guess but voltage fluctuation is the problem.

Does Digi200 trips even with minor voltage fluctuation?
One of my friend said it trips a lot in his place and due to that he moved to some other option.If it trips a lot then with minor fluctuation then it is a pain. Can you please let me know your experience?

Best would be to use a VG 400. That usually finds use with a single 1.5 TR AC. The super-extra capacity helps absorb the fluctuations in totality, both ways. Also, a trip is provided, again both ways as an additional protection. My complete rig consisting of a 32" LED, an AVR, an amplifier, a DVDp, TT and cassette deck is fed with a single 4 KVA V-Guard stabilizer. No equipment outrages have been noticed amid moderately high voltage fluctuations prevalent in my area, since the last 4 years. That's a tried and tested solution. Don't need my rig to operate when there is no municipal supply.

Last edited:
Yes, digi 200 trips when voltage goes below a range. For me it trips once a while, say once in a week or so, but my UPS kicks in when it trips. My setup is as follows

Power -> Stabilizer -> 2 UPSs -> AVR/BR player/media player/projector/chromecast.
I connect my xbox directly to stabilizer , as 1KVA UPS will not support it.

i have 5.1 home theater and rear speaker wire isn't enough long for me so how can i extend it
should i cut the wire.
please help me.

Thanks ghatgepatil. But many were recommending digital stabilizer and VG 400 is not digital and it is recommended to use for air conditioners and digi 200 for TV and HT.

Thanks ItsMe. I am not looking for UPS now, need one good stabilizer at present.Digi 200 the VA rating is 1.38 KVA. So later if you want to add some more components it will be a problem and in V Guard highest capacity option is Digi 200. :mad:

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back