PS3 Questions

charuvil

Hi,

I got a PS3 slim 250gb from the US last week. Now I have the following two questions:

1. Does the PS3 have a universal power supply? I have seen some videos on youtube where people have used US PS3's with europen 220v supply. Do I need to buy a step down transformer?

2. Which LCD TV is the best with PS3?

Thanks

Hi,

I got a PS3 slim 250gb from the US last week. Now I have the following two questions:

1. Does the PS3 have a universal power supply? I have seen some videos on youtube where people have used US PS3's with europen 220v supply. Do I need to buy a step down transformer?

Thanks

1. Yes - Linky PlayStation 3 Slim Teardown - Page 2 - iFixit

2. Best to run through the TV Section within here, Ideally for gaming (Esp online) look for something with less input lag. The LG one's seems to fair better in that area.

Hi,

Thanks
OT: Did you upgrade the HDD on your slim? Or have they launched a new version with 250Gb as against the 120Gb that I have.

There is a new 250GB retail unit available, But if you know what you're doing you could get 500GB in less than that ;)

But believe me I've still got 100GB left on my 160GB

do any one know how to burn ps3 game and is it easy and with waht dick
should i burn with and is imgburn can burn ps3 games and will the copy game damge my ps3

I know it a lot of questions but would someone help

should i burn with and is imgburn can burn ps3 games and will the copy game damge my ps3

I know it a lot of questions but would someone help

:eek: Check ur spelling dude!

Anyways, well, PS3 games come on Blu Ray, and not on DVD, so, unless you have a Blu Ray burner, its not possible (If u can afford a burner, u r rich enough to buy all the games u want anyway :p).

Secondly I dont think PS3's piracy protection is broken (yet).

Thirdly, we are not supposed to discuss this matter here, since it is against the forum rules.

Fourth, Most of the games are really worth the money :). If u feel they are expensive, just wait for a year after the game release, and u'll get it a lot cheaper ;)

Hi
I believe the ps3 has a universal power supply. Now the question is the cable that comes with it, can be plugged directly to the indian socket or the cable has to be changed? as my cable says 7A-125V

Last edited:
My model is 120GB PS3 Slim , Purchased in Feb 2010 on Amazon, Model: CECH-2001A

Though the console says only 120v and also the manual says the same it still works perfectly without any converter on 240V in India.

BTW I havent changed the cable to 240V.

PS: This applys to only PS3 slim, for earlier versions of PS3, please research the net as I do not know if it supports the same.

I am planning to buy the PS3 slim (250 GB) sometime soon.
I am pretty much a novice in console gaming, have the following (basic) questions and request fellow members with PS3 expertise to clarify:
1. What are some of the relatively inexpensive (doesnt matter if these are old ones) but good games that are readily available in India? At what cost? I am particularly interested in some racing related stuff, the ones that are not very complicated i.e. something that my kid (9 years) can also play and enjoy.
2. What about the controller? Does it come bundled with the PS3 slim or do you have to buy one separately? At what cost?
3. I have seen it myself that PS3s blu-ray player is as good as or better than any stand-alone blu-ray player available in the Indian market today. But I am not sure how good it is in up-scaling DVDs. This is not the deciding factor me, but still wanted to know how good it is in this front.
4. I know it has inbuilt WiFi. How well does that work? I have a Netgear Wireless-N router that works very well with my laptop and mobile. Does PS3 slims WiFi work with Wireless-N router?
5. How is the XrossBar media interface that I read so much about? More specifically, how is the web-browsing experience using this (& the WiFi connectivity)? Will I need to buy separate wireless keyboard for web-browsing?
6. I know it has a USB port. Does it play media files directly from external hard-disk (NTFS)? What all media files does it support avi, vob, sd-divx, hd-vdivx, mp4, avc-hd, m2ts, mkv? Is there any file size restriction?

I have the PS3 Slim 120GB.
Have tried answering some of your questions below:

1. Have been renting games so cant tell - though have never seen anything less than Rs999 in shops.
2. You have one controller that comes with the console - and will have to shell out more (around 2900Rs) for an additional one that is available separately.
3. lots of comments available in the forums in the regard of DVD upscaling quality - I use it as a game console + blu ray/HD media player and it is excellent IMHO.
4. The Wifi is OK for online gaming etc. If you want to play videos from a PC through WiFi - there will be issues - SD would be OK - HD content will not play smoothly over B/G networks.
5. Web browsing is pretty good - you have to get used to typing from the controller - was thinking I might need a keyboard + BD remote before I bot the PS3 but after using the PS3, dont think its needed.
6. The external hard disk that connects over USB only support FAT32 so no NTFS, and no files >4GB. However, if you copy to the internal disk from a media server or a DVD-5/DVD-9, there is no limitation on file size. I believe mkv is not supported m2ts works perfectly as do divx/xvid in avi. Have not tried many other formats so cannot tell for sure.

Saumitra,

Plan on new games being around the Rs. 2500 mark. Some of the more popular older games are available at Rs. 999.

About file format support - you have no need to worry about it. With a class leading software such as PS3Media Server you are covered for just about every file format on earth - movies and music!

24.gif
24.gif
24.gif
24.gif

Sorry
4.gif
I couldnt controll

I have the PS3 Slim 120GB.
Have tried answering some of your questions below:

1. Have been renting games so cant tell - though have never seen anything less than Rs999 in shops.

Hi Manu,

would love to know from where are you getting these ps3 games on rental ?? coz buying them definitely burns a hole in the pocket ... I m @ Mumbai Btw.

Hi Manu,

would love to know from where are you getting these ps3 games on rental ?? coz buying them definitely burns a hole in the pocket ... I m @ Mumbai Btw.

Check www.moviemart.in. These guys ship PS3 games/blurays/dvd's all over india and seems like they have a good network and service.

Also someone asked about DVD upscale of PS3, I would add that to the Top tier, probably one of the best. 100 times better than my Pioneer DVD player and probably better upscaler than the Denon 1910 also. Actually I hate it when I watch DVD's which can't be played in my PS3 (PS3 is region locked :-( )

Last edited:
Hi Manu,

Sanjay0864 beat me to it :)

Moviemart (as mentioned by Konfused) would be a better bet for you - I havent tried them so cannot comment on their service/catalog.

For others in Gurgaon/NCR, you should definitely check out the YEN library!

thanks a lot Konfused / Sanjay / Manu .... Damn probably first time till now that i hate being in Mumbai ....

If some of the mumbai gamers can help restore my pride in the city ... ;o)

Hi all,
For the benefit of those who are into console gaming and would like to get game discs cheap and reliable, pls visit the site indianvideogamer.com
In this site on the trading forum, u can find used ps3 and xbox discs, controllers,accessories and consoles.
100% reliable. Also one can check consoul.in (under trading section). You need to have min 50posts to post your requirement in the trading section, but once you register, you can sent PM to the person who has listed his item there. To check the reliability of the seller, one can view trading feedback thread.
I usually buy/exchange/sell my ps3 and xbox games from this site.

Cheers

RENJITH,
Trivandrum

Sanchits - if you have a PC or a laptop, use the software ps3mediaserver. You are all set for action.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back