pseudo biamping

keith_correa

I have 2 small Class-D integrated amplifiers each with it's own volume control and I want these to be used to pseudo biamp 2 way speakers. So essentially I want to use one amp to drive the midbass and the other to drive the highs. I would like to control the volume using just one pot. by leaving the volume of both the individual amplifiers at their maximum. What in your opinion would be the cheapest and best way to do this?
IMO adding a stepped attenuator between the source and 2 amplifiers is the way to go - question is what type of attentuator do I use because input to this would be 2 channels and output should be 4 channels.

Last edited:
You need to get preamp with biamp facility.
Passive crossover can be another option which can be connected btwn CDp balance output & 2amps.

Alright guys - thanks for the links. All this leads me to conclude:
If I really need to achieve what I set out to do, I could use a stepped attenuator as a passive pre-amp for the main volume control. There are 2 configurations I could use to wire the 2 channel output of the pre-amp to my 2 integrated amplifiers. Both configurations would need the use of a Y-adapter [one male RCA jack terminated with two female RCA plugs].

The 2 configurations:

Horizontally
031998sbiamp.jpg

And

Vertically
031998vbiamp.jpg

Anyone know where to buy Y-adapters in Mumbai?

Audeoquest has few models

51E2yAcG0IL._SS500_.jpg

or

aaqrcasplitter.jpg

According to their site, there is a dealer in Mumbai, Kripa Electronics.

Also found here.

The way I see it:

1male-->2females - Horizontal & Vertical Bi-amping
There will be 2 relatively long cables going from the females of the Y-adapter to the amplifiers

1female-->2males - Vertical Bi-amping
There will be 1 relatively long cable going from the female of the Y-adapter to the female of the pre-amplifier

1female-->2males - Horizontal Bi-amping
There will be 1 relatively long cable going from the female of the Y-adapter to the female of the pre-amplifier. The problem may be that the 2 amplifiers need to be very close to each other for the 2 males to reach 1 female each of each amplifier unless the Y-cords are long enough.

1 Male --> 2 Fem : Used on the Preamp's output side
1 Fem --> 2 Male : Used on the Stereo Power amp's inputs

With what you say - isn't what you mention above incorrect?

Preamp outputs = Female hence cable terminations at this end will be male. Other end of this cable will be male too which will terminate into the female end at the leg of the Y-adapter. The other 2 terminations of each end of the "Y" will be male which will terminate into the left and right females of the power amp.

@ keith_correa

1 Male --> 2 Fem : Used on the Preamp's output side. What I meant was that the Y-adapter is used on the preamp itself with the single male going into the pre's output

1 Fem --> 2 Male : Used on the Stereo Power amp's inputs. Now here, the Y-adapter is used on the amplifier's side with the 2 males into the amps inputs

Hope this clarifies your doubts.

Had no doubts. Was confused by your post.
Ah, I see it now - you are giving 2 options. Had no doubts on options but Thanks all the same.

what crossover you have in mind.

it is my feeling that the amp performance is over hyped by tnt audio...
the chip is used a cheap inbuilt amp in some LCD tvs.
If you want to use a amp for biamping you should spend money on some serious amps.This baby is ok for basic PC setup .

what crossover you have in mind.

it is my feeling that the amp performance is over hyped by tnt audio...
the chip is used a cheap inbuilt amp in some LCD tvs.
If you want to use a amp for biamping you should spend money on some serious amps.This baby is ok for basic PC setup .

I got 2 of these amps and have been listening to them with my NHT SuperZeros. They sound wonderful. Initially, I too thought that tnt sort of went overboard with their review but for $80 for 2 amps - I had nothing to lose so asked someone from the US to fetch them.
And yes, the chips may be used in LCD TV's but that would be logical because of the low cost of these chips. Just as the LM3886 chip costs peanuts and the Tripath chips too - so does this Yamaha chip. But that would be no reflection on their sound. The capability is there.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back