Purchasing power and preamplifier Tubes

subhobh

Friends - I want to check with you where you purchase power and preamplifier Tubes?

Are you paying import and customs duties in addition? If so, what does the process look like? Sorry, I've never purchased; therefore, asking all the experts can help.

Also, if can you provide some general guidelines with respect to Tube brands.

Yes, if you import, you will need to pay the duty. Depending in the rarity of the tube everywhere from ebay to specialized stores like the tubestore can be tried. they all ship with very good packing.

On guidelines, there are as many guidelines as there are views :) and again a lot depends on the kind of tube eg while a telefunken may be great for a 12AX7, for a 6922 you may prefer a Amperex JAN or a mullard for something else

What are you looking for ?

You can read up on brands here.. https://www.thetubestore.com/tube-brands

specifically for 12AX7, Joe's Tube lore discussion in AA is really nice

Yes, if you import, you will need to pay the duty. Depending in the rarity of the tube everywhere from ebay to specialized stores like the tubestore can be tried. they all ship with very good packing.

On guidelines, there are as many guidelines as there are views :) and again a lot depends on the kind of tube eg while a telefunken may be great for a 12AX7, for a 6922 you may prefer a Amperex JAN or a mullard for something else

What are you looking for ?

You can read up on brands here.. https://www.thetubestore.com/tube-brands

specifically for 12AX7, Joe's Tube lore discussion in AA is really nice
Thank you, @arj !! This was helpful.

I would be buying a preamp tube pair such as 12AX7 and a power tube quad such as KT66 / KT77 / KT88 / KT90/ KT90 tubes. So, I was looking for general guidance.

Do try Brent Jessie from audiotubes.com.
Fantastic seller with great communication.
Have also tried Viva Tubes very straight forward and they carry some of the more popular commercial tubes, mostly nothing NOS!

After buying BEL 12AX7 tubes locally, I have stopped looking at any other brand. Same with EL84. Next in line tube to be tested soon is 6BM8 pair I received recently.

Friends from overseas consider them on par with Telefunken. I have used RCA black plates and BEL seem to sound even better.
Any idea where one can source some BEL 12AT7 or 12AU7 tubes?
Would really like to try them out and see how they sound.
Do try Brent Jessie from audiotubes.com.
Fantastic seller with great communication.
+1 Brent is a great guy to deal with.

I bought some NOS tubes from him earlier this year and they were really good.
Generally if your order is under a $100, I don't think customs bothers with the package.

Last edited by a moderator:
After buying BEL 12AX7 tubes locally, I have stopped looking at any other brand. Same with EL84. Next in line tube to be tested soon is 6BM8 pair I received recently.

Friends from overseas consider them on par with Telefunken. I have used RCA black plates and BEL seem to sound even better.
Hi Sir was looking to purchase Some BEL EL84 tubes, can you please share the Indian Source's details. Thanks in advance

Could you pls tell is from where you sourced them in India ?

Brand-wise, I am personally satisfied with current / new Electro Harmonix production for KT-88s................. and their 5U4GBs also.

I live in the USA, and get them from Antique Electronic Supply.

I believe Hari Iyer has these precise tubes in his SE KT88 tube monoblocks which he made in Thane, that we collaborated upon .

Have fun.

Jeff Medwin

where do u get bel 12ax7 and EL84 tubes locally sir? pls share source. Thanks.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back