Pv80

Ash

After reading several posts on this forum I decide to buy the Panasonic PV80 plasma.

Viewed it alongside similarly priced Samsung and LG and decided to opt for the PV.

The Panasonic engineer came home to install the TV, so I assume it was all done by the book.

As expected, the colours and PQ are great, but . Im not at all happy with the way the TV deals with any fast movements on the screen.

For instance the news presenter looks great on screen, but if there is an action scene or if the camera is chasing the cricket ball in the field, I find there is tremendous eye strain.

Just cant follow the ball or any object when the camera pans the screen.

I have two smaller LCDs at home (32Philips & 21 LG), even tho they are LCDs , there is no eye strain on these. Since plasmas are known to be better for viewing sports and fast moving scenes, I am at a loss as to why this is happening.

I have this TV connected to a Marantz 3002 DVD player via HDMI and TATASKY+ connected via Component video.

Spoke with the Panasonic engineer, he said he has received such complaints from people but this problem was sorted when they used better quality RCA cables.

Since I have used HDMI and Component cables, he too doesnt know the reason. Claims my eyes need to get used to viewing a plasma.

I am no expert at this, but having gone thru several threads on this forum, I can think of just a few reasons.

1. TV may not have gone thru its burn in period.
2. There is some chip or graphics card (who knows !!!???) thats not doing its job well enough.
3. These are the limitations of this TV.

Anybody faced this situation ? Any advice / comments ?

Hi Ash:

Congrats on buying an excellent plasma TV. I have mine for the past 7-8 months, and never experienced any of those things that you mentioned. Cricket and football are just great in mine, and no strain at all. I have a feeling that its a matter of getting used to 42" screen. Hope other users of PV8/80 provide some information.

Thats so strange, I watch cricket all the time on my PV8 and load of fast paced action movies and never had an eye strain. Can you tell more on what you mean by eye strain here?

After reading several posts on this forum I decide to buy the Panasonic PV80 plasma.

Viewed it alongside similarly priced Samsung and LG and decided to opt for the PV.

The Panasonic engineer came home to install the TV, so I assume it was all done by the book.

As expected, the colours and PQ are great, but . Im not at all happy with the way the TV deals with any fast movements on the screen.

For instance the news presenter looks great on screen, but if there is an action scene or if the camera is chasing the cricket ball in the field, I find there is tremendous eye strain.

I have two smaller LCDs at home (32Philips & 21 LG), even tho they are LCDs , there is no eye strain on these. Since plasmas are known to be better for viewing sports and fast moving scenes, I am at a loss as to why this is happening.

I have this TV connected to a Marantz 3002 DVD player via HDMI and TATASKY+ connected via Component video.

Spoke with the Panasonic engineer, he said he has received such complaints from people but this problem was sorted when they used better quality RCA cables.

Since I have used HDMI and Component cables, he too doesnt know the reason. Claims my eyes need to get used to viewing a plasma.

I am no expert at this, but having gone thru several threads on this forum, I can think of just a few reasons.

2. There is some chip or graphics card (who knows !!!???) thats not doing its job well enough.

I think this problem is with the Viewing distance.You should be atleast one meter away from the Tv.

@madbullram-- I went through one of your previous posts and changed the settings according to that... even though the picture seems clearer it seems like the brightness is too low or may be i am still not used to seeing the picture like this... i am quite sure the plasma has crossed the burn in period... earlier i also used to see a little blurr on fast moving images... i moved the couch a little more farther and now it seems perfect...

@Ash- just my 2 cents - try viewing from a different distances... the ideal distance should be about 4 mtrs i guess

@madbullram-- I went through one of your previous posts and changed the settings according to that... even though the picture seems clearer it seems like the brightness is too low or may be i am still not used to seeing the picture like this... i am quite sure the plasma has crossed the burn in period... earlier i also used to see a little blurr on fast moving images... i moved the couch a little more farther and now it seems perfect...

Once the burn in is over, you can play with the settings and see what fits you :)

well the causes for eye strain could be due to many reasons ,if ur room as insufficient lighting or sunlight.if u sit to close to the televesion,some people even though they have a small room like 100sqft or less go for a realy huge tv ,i have seen people who sit at point blank distance and yet they have a 40+inch tv,which obviously is going to cause a lot of eye strain and thats one of the reasons people don't use tvs as computer monitor unless u sit at reasonable distance.
but its mostly because u are used to lcd tv ,even in my case i just hate seeing a crt tvs after using lcds,since crts for me cause more eyestrain.

Guys I apologise for the delay in responding to your comments.

Most of you said it may be the viewing distance.. Cant be , as I sit at least 12 feet away from the TV.

Ram, to answer your question (what I mean by eye strain) , basically its as Sushathace mentioned in his post blurring of fast moving images.

Anyway, I had two book shelf speakers on either side of the TV , Ive moved them.

It made things a little better but I still wasnt happy.

Then I think it may have to do with the burn in period cause as time goes by, its getting better.

Ill just wait for the first 100 hrs and see how things go.

Thanks for your input guys.

Hi,
I am using PV-8D for last more than a year. By the way, PV-8D differers from PV80-D only in terms of connectivity, ie PV80-D have a card reader and additional HDMI port.
I have not faced any complaint and I am enjoying the display in all circumstances, sports, news, action movies through DTH and movies through DVD. I use HDMI cable for DVD movies and composite video (RCA) cable for DTH connectivity.
Further, those planning to buy PV8 or PV80, consider stretching their budget a little further to have a look on X series of Plasmas from Panasonic. X10, 42" plasma offers breathtakingly stunning picture quality and the price difference is well justified.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back