q acoustics 3050i stereo setup

notsiddharth

My impressions of my 1st setup including Q Acoustics 3050i and Norge concerto gold 1000 and chord mojo ( and also lg hifi dac)is mixed. the mids are great, lows are also good but the highs r straight up trash! don't know if it's the fault of the speaker or the amplifier or some other factor like burn in or placement. below i have gone a bit more into detail about my situation and help would be greatly appreciated..
the mids including vocals r very good. they have a sweet sound to them, the placement is good, neither too forwards nor too laid back, all praises in this department. the lows - have plenty of mass, they don't go low enough (they only go up to 45-46 hz) but they do the job for the most part.
coming to the highs - as of now they sound trash. no detail, no resolution, no mass, no extension, just a clunky mess.
the track i used to judge highs r some rock tracks such as :
Island in the sun by Weezer
Chasing cars by Snow Patrol
You're gonna go far kid by The Offspring's
i have just listened to them a few hours at this moment and will update upon listening to them more as i get time.
what is wrong with my setup or what am i doing wrong?
i don't have any other reference in speaker terms but my Sennheiser HD650 and more importantly Fiio FH7 (5 driver hybrid iem) which have phenomenal high extension r my reference of comparison.

Attachments

• 00000IMG_00000_BURST20201218201521460_COVER-01.jpeg
    00000IMG_00000_BURST20201218201521460_COVER-01.jpeg
    955.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20201218_201014-01.jpeg
    IMG_20201218_201014-01.jpeg
    640.7 KB · Views: 110
My impressions of my 1st setup including Q Acoustics 3050i and Norge concerto gold 1000 and chord mojo ( and also lg hifi dac)is mixed. the mids are great, lows are also good but the highs r straight up trash! don't know if it's the fault of the speaker or the amplifier or some other factor like burn in or placement. below i have gone a bit more into detail about my situation and help would be greatly appreciated..
the mids including vocals r very good. they have a sweet sound to them, the placement is good, neither too forwards nor too laid back, all praises in this department. the lows - have plenty of mass, they don't go low enough (they only go up to 45-46 hz) but they do the job for the most part.
coming to the highs - as of now they sound trash. no detail, no resolution, no mass, no extension, just a clunky mess.
i have just listened to them a few hours at this moment and will update upon listening to them more as i get time.
i don't have any other reference in speaker terms but my Sennheiser HD650 and more importantly Fiio FH7 (5 driver hybrid iem) which have phenomenal high extension r my reference of comparison.

The treble in general for me did seem to open up after good 10 hours of usage for most of my FS. So wait for sometime and see if it does open up

The treble in general for me did seem to open up after good 10 hours of usage for most of my FS. So wait for sometime and see if it does open up
thankyou, i was really worried. let see how better it gets. i hope it is better then my iems.

Q Acoustics’s by default sound wonderful with sparkly highs.

let them burn in for few hours. And do try with other tracks too

If you have Spotify, try the above playlist. I use this to A/B test

You can try different source to check that. Chord Mojo is warm sounding DAC I guess and rest of gear is nothing different. Another way is to try different interconnects and speaker cables.
Usually Treble/HF can sound harsh or sharp out of the box from any speaker and turns little sweet later.

You can try different source to check that. Chord Mojo is warm sounding DAC I guess and rest of gear is nothing different. Another way is to try different interconnects and speaker cables.
Usually Treble/HF can sound harsh or sharp out of the box from any speaker and turns little sweet later.
I am also of the same opinion. Try with some interconnects if you can avail.

i have and i

will try this tomorrow itself. i tried the whathifi high test songs which were mostly orchestra tracks they did not seem that bad. But song with rock chorus; cymbals and other percussion instruments do not sound full or clear. i did not get a chance to hear them today. i will definitely listen to them tomorrow.

i will hope that it is true otherwise i will try to make some changes in my setup.

First let it burn in. I would suggest 50hrs. Make one speaker out of phase, place speakers facing each other 1ft apart. Play at listening levels. Cover the speakers with thick blankets to damp the sound. Let it play continuously or 5-10hrs each day.

then see if highs improve. Otherwise try changing each component starting from the source. This way you can pinpoint the cause, if there is any. try to reach out to local FMs is you need spare components like dac etc

keep us posted. Good luck!

Q-Acoustics are the one who gives so much depth to there cabinets :D

First let it burn in. I would suggest 50hrs. Make one speaker out of phase, place speakers facing each other 1ft apart. Play at listening levels. Cover the speakers with thick blankets to damp the sound. Let it play continuously or 5-10hrs each day.

then see if highs improve. Otherwise try changing each component starting from the source. This way you can pinpoint the cause, if there is any. try to reach out to local FMs is you need spare components like dac etc

keep us posted. Good luck!
i will do that, thanks. what does connecting it out of phase means? and would it be safe thing to do?

i will do that, thanks. what does connecting it out of phase means? and would it be safe thing to do?
Yes. It’s safe. I did it for first 200hrs on my ATC.

Just reverse the polarity on one speaker (connect positive to negative and vice versa). Then place the speakers exactly opposite to each other about a foot apart. It’ll just cancel most of the low frequencies. Cover them with think blankets until the sound is mostly damped.

Just a quick way to burn in without disturbing others.

Thanks for introducing me to Ely Bruna, Kari Bremnes. You have some really good tracks in your playlist!

Just reverse the polarity on one speaker
My thoughts little different. Reversing polarity my put tweeter at risk for short time depending on crossover. Usually a capacitor is first to filter Low frequency and then tweeter coil. Opposing polarity may pass all full audio bandwidth via tweeter for short term before Capacitor filters it. Its my thought.

My thoughts little different. Reversing polarity my put tweeter at risk for short time depending on crossover. Usually a capacitor is first to filter Low frequency and then tweeter coil. Opposing polarity may pass all full audio bandwidth via tweeter for short term before Capacitor filters it. Its my thought.
I think it’s a common practice. I did it with my ATCs for about 200hrs without issues.

But I can’t disagree with you as I lack the technicalities.

@notsiddharth plz do it at your own risk.

Can anyone please suggest speaker cable of bright and forward character which can improves dynamics and control the bass a bit?
Currently i am using the DAC SPK 16 AWG OFC duel speaker cable.

Hi,

Going for a pure silver cable will likely make the sound a little more lively, not the best person to suggest you speaker cable. Currently using a Belden 8477 which is tinned copper, which suits my need quiet well.

norge is not exactly the kinds which would give sparkly highs. also, if you are used to to headphones direct comparison may not help. not sure where you are based...try demo different amps. even the DIY amps may fare better.

lastly, source mp3? cd? wav...etc..

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back