Q Acoustics M20

prettycommonman

After some research I found that QA M20 would be good value for money (for 40k of course else edifier s2000mkiii is great choice I believe or maybe going with passive setup with integrated amps).

Anyways, purpose of this thread is how good those QA M20 for movie watching. I tried to find reviews that mention about movies dialog clarity and separation stuffs but no one talked about those. So I would like to hear from you guys who may already own that system. I would highly appreciate that.

After some research I found that QA M20 would be good value for money (for 40k of course else edifier s2000mkiii is great choice I believe or maybe going with passive setup with integrated amps).

Anyways, purpose of this thread is how good those QA M20 for movie watching. I tried to find reviews that mention about movies dialog clarity and separation stuffs but no one talked about those. So I would like to hear from you guys who may already own that system. I would highly appreciate that.
Compared to what?

Compared to soundbars in the similar price range and passive 2.0 setup with budget integrated amp
I find sound bars to be the worst in this price range..
I had bought q Acoustics bt3 for my dad.. they are very easy to use and does not need an external amp, which my dad wouldn't have liked.

Compared to soundbars in the similar price range
errrrmmmm.... haven't heard a soundbar in donkey years and don't remember ever having heard a good one though I'm sure those exist.
passive 2.0 setup with budget integrated amp
Thats a rather vague description and more importantly, envisages a scenario in which you can build a passive 2.0 system below 40K. As of today, I am not aware of any such passive system having the same breadth of abilities and SQ as the M20.

Since your question was specific i.e. whether the M20HD i good for movies, it would be helpful if you mention the 2.0 passive combo you have in mind so that we can compare and contrast and tell you which one is better.

Last edited:
the 2.0 passive combo you have in mind
Q Acoustics 3020i with following integrated amps in lookup,

Fosi Audio BT20A
FX Audio D502 (Have optical in)
SMSL AD18 (Have optical in)
Micca OriGain - Don't know if it is even worth considering this, I just listed due to pricing.

I would welcome suggestions also, unfortunately I can't go AVR like amps because I'm looking forward to use this setup mainly on PC desk and occasionally for TV.

Thanks for replies and effort to help.

Q Acoustics 3020i with following integrated amps in lookup
This is essentially the same speaker as the M20, minus the nicer finish and fantastic internal amplification. Therefore, your question is answered at this stage itself and there is absolutely no point reading further. Nevertheless, here you go:
Fosi Audio BT20A
never heard it.
FX Audio D502 (Have optical in)
Not even in the same ballpark as the internal amplification and DAC in the M20. Consider this - the M20 beats hollow any speaker that is powered by the D502, at least the ones i have tried it with which include - Quad S-5, Klipsch RP600M, Wharfedale Evo 4.2, KEF Q350, Boston Acoustics A26 and PSB Alpha P5.
SMSL AD18 (Have optical in)
Haven' heard it and not available in India unless you consider the atrociously priced ones on Amazon
Micca OriGain - Don't know if it is even worth considering this, I just listed due to pricing.
Really?

This is essentially the same speaker as the M20, minus the nicer finish and fantastic internal amplification. Therefore, your question is answered at this stage itself and there is absolutely no point reading further. Nevertheless, here you go:

never heard it.

Not even in the same ballpark as the internal amplification and DAC in the M20. Consider this - the M20 beats hollow any speaker that is powered by the D502, at least the ones i have tried it with which include - Quad S-5, Klipsch RP600M, Wharfedale Evo 4.2, KEF Q350, Boston Acoustics A26 and PSB Alpha P5.

Haven' heard it and not available in India unless you consider the atrociously priced ones on Amazon

Really?
@DB1989

Bumping this old thread since I didn't want to create a duplicate one.

I recently purchased the M20 HD mostly after reading your posts about it. They're a tremendous pair of speakers, thank you!!

Now I am looking at some (budget) subwoofer options.
My usage is 60% music (spotify, apple music), and 40% movies/games/streaming. Not a basshead by any means, do not need my room to shake, just something that adds to and further enriches the sound quality of the speakers is enough. My room is also quite small, 10x11 feet. Budget is around 50-60k.

I was looking at the PSB Alpha S10 at 40k, (based on the one youtube review I found from Steve Guttenberg).
Then came across the REL Tzero MkIII at 50k- tiny 6.5" sub with low output, but said to be suitable for my room size and the brand is fairly enticing to me.
The REL T5/x should definitely be better but retailing at 80k now.

So, getting to the point, is there anything you would recommend for my usage, room size and budget? :)

@DB1989

Bumping this old thread since I didn't want to create a duplicate one.

I recently purchased the M20 HD mostly after reading your posts about it. They're a tremendous pair of speakers, thank you!!

Now I am looking at some (budget) subwoofer options.
My usage is 60% music (spotify, apple music), and 40% movies/games/streaming. Not a basshead by any means, do not need my room to shake, just something that adds to and further enriches the sound quality of the speakers is enough. My room is also quite small, 10x11 feet. Budget is around 50-60k.

I was looking at the PSB Alpha S10 at 40k, (based on the one youtube review I found from Steve Guttenberg).
PSB usually does a good job with their speakers. I had the P5 and it was one of the better 5 inchers I've heard in the budget segment. Haven't heard their subs though.
Then came across the REL Tzero MkIII at 50k- tiny 6.5" sub with low output, but said to be suitable for my room size and the brand is fairly enticing to me.
The REL T5/x should definitely be better but retailing at 80k now.
REL subs have been massively bumped up in price to the extent that they are no longer the best bass you can get for the money. At 80K, the REL T5x is hugely overpriced (i got both my REL T9is cheaper than that last year).

Lastly, you'll not be about to use the primary USP of the REL T series i.e. their high level connection, since the Q Acoustics M20 HD is an active speaker. Therefore, you'll only ever be able to use around 90% of its performance (at least that's what John hunter says).

Rather, go for a Rhythmik L12 (around 70K if I'm not mistaken - People with more experience with Rhythmik well be able to help) or a Q Acoustics QB 12(around 55K). Spend the additional outlay saved on the REL on a MiniDSP or a streamer.

If you want to stick with REL, the HT1003 makes much more sense since it foregoes the high level connection and the stunning 5 coat hand lacquered mirror gloss finish of the T series for extra power and woofer size (the HT series uses a nice vinyl wrap which will be much easier to clean in our dusty environment) which equates to much better lower frequency excursion and output.

Last edited:
PSB usually does a good job with their speakers. I had the P5 and it was one of the better 5 inchers I've heard in the budget segment. Haven't heard their subs though.

REL subs have been massively bumped up in price to the extent that they are no longer the best bass you can get for the money. At 80K, the REL T5x is hugely overpriced (i got both my REL T9is cheaper than that last year).

Lastly, you'll not be about to use the primary USP of the REL T series i.e. their high level connection, since the Q Acoustics M20 HD is an active speaker. Therefore, you'll only ever be able to use around 90% of its performance (at least that's what John hunter says).

Rather, go for a Rhythmik L12 (around 70K if I'm not mistaken - People with more experience with Rhythmik well be able to help) or a Q Acoustics QB 12(around 55K). Spend the additional outlay saved on the REL on a MiniDSP or a streamer.

If you want to stick with REL, the HT1003 makes much more sense since it foregoes the high level connection and the stunning 5 coat hand lacquered mirror gloss finish of the T series for extra power and woofer size (the HT series uses a nice vinyl wrap which will be much easier to clean in our dusty environment) which equates to much better lower frequency excursion and output.

Sage advice, thank you!

I had been eyeing the QB12 for some time, but that bugger is retailing close to 70k everywhere (except some sketchy sellers in Amazon). The prices are completely out of control now.

There is nothing special in movie dialogs compared to the rest of the sound spectrum.
Usually it is the poorly recorded speech track (mostly center track) that causes issues with intelligibility.

If you desire extra clarity in spoken words then you need to have a speaker that is poor in sound reproduction and does not have straight frequency response: because for speech clarity you need to have strong boost in the frequency range of 2000 Hz to 4000 Hz.
Such a speaker cannot be claimed to be hi-fidelity at all. Something like https://celestion.com/product/vintage-30/ (scroll all the way down to frequency response) will suit your prupose

Update: Closed the deal on QA QB12 for 64k (avshack). Now the wait for delivery begins.

The behemoth arrived last night. I knew it will be big, but was still unprepared for just how big 😅
I am kinda limited on the number of locations it can be placed in my room, but I think I found the better of those available spots.

Something that is bugging me though- looking at all reviews and the size of the thing, I had assumed it will output a ton of bass and that I will likely have to keep the subwoofer level at 30-50% max, considering my small room.

But in reality, I found that unless I crank it up to at least 70% I can barely hear/feel a difference over the QA M20 standalone (pun not intended).
It is very pleasing, mind you, and it could just be my inexperience speaking, but I still feel like there should be 'more' (even though I don't really need it).

Using these cables - BlueRigger Audio RCA Cable with Gold Plated connectors (1 RCA Subwoofer Cable 15 FT / 4.5 Meters) https://amzn.eu/d/5usjlqs

Crossover set to 100.
Phase at 0, found that to be the better sounding option.
Cable connected from the M20 sub-out to the QB12's left input.

Taking the liberty to tag @DB1989 again for feedback, in case I have gotten something wrong. :)

The behemoth arrived last night. I knew it will be big, but was still unprepared for just how big 😅
I am kinda limited on the number of locations it can be placed in my room, but I think I found the better of those available spots.

Something that is bugging me though- looking at all reviews and the size of the thing, I had assumed it will output a ton of bass and that I will likely have to keep the subwoofer level at 30-50% max, considering my small room.

But in reality, I found that unless I crank it up to at least 70% I can barely hear/feel a difference over the QA M20 standalone (pun not intended).
It is very pleasing, mind you, and it could just be my inexperience speaking, but I still feel like there should be 'more' (even though I don't really need it).

Using these cables - BlueRigger Audio RCA Cable with Gold Plated connectors (1 RCA Subwoofer Cable 15 FT / 4.5 Meters) https://amzn.eu/d/5usjlqs

Crossover set to 100.
Phase at 0, found that to be the better sounding option.
Cable connected from the M20 sub-out to the QB12's left input.

Taking the liberty to tag @DB1989 again for feedback, in case I have gotten something wrong. :)
Thats possibly because the sub hasn't broken in yet. Never run any speaker, including subs (which are speakers also) too loud right out of the box. The surrounds need to loosen up. You could hear a rat p**s on cotton over my 15 incher right out of the box.

I'm not very experienced with speakers, but I've noticed three things:

1. If you didn't audition the product, then expectations are always higher than what you are going to get. That's why it's always better to audition before buying, especially at a budget of >50k

2. We underestimate the bass output of high quality speakers. Even with no subwoofer, they can deliver quite well. My Taga Harmony Azure B-40 shakes my sofa all the time without a sub. If your speakers were already doing quite well, then the difference may not be felt instantly

3. High quality bass is harder to distinguish as you feel it more than you hear it. You are not going to get a drum beat sound every time the subwoofer kicks in, but you'll feel the rumbling

To get a better feel of things, pick some movies scenes with explosions etc. Play them with and without your subwoofer one after the other. See if you can feel the difference. Or do the same with bass heavy music tracks like trance/EDM.

I have owned the QB12 for a really long time, in my setup I had to keep the volume above 50% to get it to sound like a subwoofer.

I have noted and shared my QB12 experiences on multiple threads here, it is superb for music. Will make your speakers disappear and have tight precise bass. But for movies it won't dig deep and being sealed will require you to crank the volume higher than usual ported subs.

I had the exact same experience like what you had, wait for it to open up. Making few adjustments will bring out its potential, you won't notice the sub playing and it integrates so well with speakers.
One of a really good speaker for music listening in budget.

Thank you, good people!

Thats possibly because the sub hasn't broken in yet. Never run any speaker, including subs (which are speakers also) too loud right out of the box. The surrounds need to loosen up. You could hear a rat p**s on cotton over my 15 incher right out of the box.

I'm not very experienced with speakers, but I've noticed three things:

1. If you didn't audition the product, then expectations are always higher than what you are going to get. That's why it's always better to audition before buying, especially at a budget of >50k

2. We underestimate the bass output of high quality speakers. Even with no subwoofer, they can deliver quite well. My Taga Harmony Azure B-40 shakes my sofa all the time without a sub. If your speakers were already doing quite well, then the difference may not be felt instantly

3. High quality bass is harder to distinguish as you feel it more than you hear it. You are not going to get a drum beat sound every time the subwoofer kicks in, but you'll feel the rumbling

To get a better feel of things, pick some movies scenes with explosions etc. Play them with and without your subwoofer one after the other. See if you can feel the difference. Or do the same with bass heavy music tracks like trance/EDM.
I have owned the QB12 for a really long time, in my setup I had to keep the volume above 50% to get it to sound like a subwoofer.

I have noted and shared my QB12 experiences on multiple threads here, it is superb for music. Will make your speakers disappear and have tight precise bass. But for movies it won't dig deep and being sealed will require you to crank the volume higher than usual ported subs.

I had the exact same experience like what you had, wait for it to open up. Making few adjustments will bring out its potential, you won't notice the sub playing and it integrates so well with speakers.
One of a really good speaker for music listening in budget.

Noted on all of the above, will give it time. And yes, I always felt the bass is coming from the speakers, rather than the sub.

@amrutmhatre90 your earlier posts on the QB12 are one of the main reasons I went with it, since my usage will be music-heavy. So thank you!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back