[Q] Need help in setting up Media System

ababrekar

I have Sony Bravia 40" LCD (KLV40NX500), Yamaha YHT 292 AV, Xbox, LG Bluray Player, DTH STB, X10 POWERMID Remote Control Extender Kit PM5900. Currently all of the above are connected as shown below with a jungle of wires which i am planning to setup a media storage at home and install the X10 POWERMID Remote Control Extender Kit PM5900 for remote access

Currently:
Bluray Player --> AV (HDMI), Audio (Bluray --> RC (Red/White) --> AV)
STB --> AV (HDMI), Audio (Bluray --> RC (Red/White) --> AV)
Xbox --> AV (V-Aux) --> LCD (RC, Yellow)
AV --> LCD (Video (HDMI))

What I am looking for is:
Bluray Player --> AV (HDMI)
STB --> AV (HDMI)
Xbox --> LCD (HDMI)
LCD --> AV (Audio) Optical Audio Cable

So I basically need all videos to be connected to LCD through AV with HDMI (except Xbox) and LCD audio to be routed to AV through Optical cable. Problem is Bravia doesnt have Optical audio out but RC (Red/White)

Help needed from experts is where and how to connect the audio from LCD to AV

If your LCD has a analogue audio out, that is all you can connect. The other option is to use ARC of HDMI. But I am not sure if your LCD and AVR are both HDMI 1.4 compatible.

Cheers

If your LCD has a analogue audio out, that is all you can connect. The other option is to use ARC of HDMI. But I am not sure if your LCD and AVR are both HDMI 1.4 compatible.
Cheers
Thanks venkat. LCD has analogue audio out. I also connected the RC (Red/White) cable from LCD to AVR audio in, but the sound was not available through HT speakers. I was thinking of opting for an option of buying RCA - Optical converter if there is such any available :(

I have Sony Bravia 40" LCD (KLV40NX500), Yamaha YHT 292 AV, Xbox, LG Bluray Player, DTH STB, X10 POWERMID Remote Control Extender Kit PM5900. Currently all of the above are connected as shown below with a jungle of wires which i am planning to setup a media storage at home and install the X10 POWERMID Remote Control Extender Kit PM5900 for remote access

Currently:

STB --> AV (HDMI)
Xbox --> LCD (HDMI)

So I basically need all videos to be connected to LCD through AV with HDMI (except Xbox) and LCD audio to be routed to AV through Optical cable. Problem is Bravia doesnt have Optical audio out but RC (Red/White)

May be I am Getting bit confused here. It seems that you have connected all sources to your AVR first. Only the video signal is fed to LCD while Audio is played directly by speakers fed by AVR Itself. Now what are the sounds your LCD Is playing? I cant figure it out. I think that since your LCD Is getting only video signals from your AVR its not playing any audio as such. I dont know whether your LCD has any intrinsic sounds. Try this. Connect a USB Stick to USB Port of LCD and plays some song while analogue out is connected to analogue in of your AVR. If you get sound, your 'analogue out' of the LCD is working perfectly.

If you feed full signals to you LCD First and then connect audio out to AVR, Then you will get sound.

I dont think you will get Analogue to optical converter. One is digital signal and the other is analogue. Your Avr works as digital to analogue converter. I have seen some USB DACs which convert analogue to digital but thats for recording and signal goes into comp through USB And not optical.

Last edited:
I also connected the RC (Red/White) cable from LCD to AVR audio in, but the sound was not available through HT speakers.
The TV must have a headphone out. Connect a headphone and check if you get audio. If yes, connect that to the AVR analogue audio IN by using a 3.5mm stereo to RCA cable.

The TV must have a headphone out. Connect a headphone and check if you get audio. If yes, connect that to the AVR analogue audio IN by using a 3.5mm stereo to RCA cable.

Am I making a mistake here? I still cant figure out what audio signals the LCD Is going to put out either through RCA Or headphone jack. It seems to be receiving only video signals. No audio source seems to be connected to LCD directly without the intervening AVR. If all sources are connected to AVR First, there would be no audio signal coming out from LCD.

Since your AVR has very very limited inputs its gonna be a be confusion to set up. Before I lay out the diagram, you need to buy an extera component or HDMI (if your xbox has HDMI out) and an optical cable

Connect one HDMI from your Bluray ====>TO HDMI 1 in of AVR
Connect other HDMI from your STB =====>To HDMI 2 in of AVR

Your HDMI in slots are finished. Now either you can connect another HDMI or you can connect your Component from you XBOX 360 to TV directly, Assuming your 360 has HDMI. But that would not give you 5.1 surround sound for your games. I will suggest connect component from your 360 to your TV and connect the optical from your 360 to your AVR now you will have video via component and proper surround sound via optical. So the connection become.

Connect one component out from you 360 ======>TO component in of your TV
Connect the optical out from your 360 =======>TO Optical in of your AVR

Finally connect one HDMI out from your AVR =====> TO HDMI in of your TV

Now you have your Bluray (A/V), STB(A/V) and 360(A) connected via AVR and 360(v) connected directoly to TV. with all providing full surround support ....

When you have to play games you have to select component in , in your TV GUI and when you have to play bluray/STB then you have to select HDMI in , in your TV GUI.

When HDMI is selected (in TV GUI) the switching between bluray and STB, will be done through AVR.

Bit complex but if you read carefully this should. solve your problem.

Thanks guys... Like I mentioned I have no issues in getting video streamed from all sources through AVR. I dont want to connect all the audio sources (bluray, stb, xbox) to AVR since its a jungle of wires behind, hence I only want to route the audio from LCD to AVR

There is audio out red/white at the lcd back, but I read somewhere to achieve good quality surround sound you need optical audio cable

Moreover, I am not sure if I am making the right connection in AVR in the audio in since I dont get sound in AVR. in LCD i do get it

Am I making a mistake here? I still cant figure out what audio signals the LCD Is going to put out either through RCA Or headphone jack. It seems to be receiving only video signals. No audio source seems to be connected to LCD directly without the intervening AVR. If all sources are connected to AVR First, there would be no audio signal coming out from LCD.

He is getting both video and audio through HDMI. Since his TV doesn't have optical output, he is left with only the stereo RCA output or headphone output to connect back to the AVR. The disadvantage of this is that he won't be getting surround sound. However I also have a doubt. Since he connects the HDMI from the players to the AVR, he will be getting sound through the speakers and what is the need for a connection from TV to AVR for sound?

He is getting both video and audio through HDMI. Since his TV doesn't have optical output, he is left with only the stereo RCA output or headphone output to connect back to the AVR. The disadvantage of this is that he won't be getting surround sound. However I also have a doubt. Since he connects the HDMI from the players to the AVR, he will be getting sound through the speakers and what is the need for a connection from TV to AVR for sound?

Hi baiju.. this yamaha yht 292 doesnt support audio over hdmi and that is the reason why i need to plug lcd audio through also to avoid large amount of cabling from each source's audio to avr

hmmm. So it doesnt support audio over hdmi. Then getting surround sound looks difficult unless it has 2 coax and 1 optical input. That too will support 5.1 only.

Hi,
If u connect ur x box to LCD and want the audio out u need to configure ur LCD Speakers to external , only then it shall give signal to ur Av and sounds in Ht will come.. hope it help uu

Currently:

STB --> AV (HDMI)
Xbox --> LCD (HDMI)

What OP has to do is connect sources to LCD First and then audio out From LCD to Avr through analogue. I think yamaha has 2 coax & 1 optical in. So if the sources have these outputs,they can be used. However this will not solve the problem of wire clutters but will give surround sound.

I find this clutter such a headache that i use stereo sound for movies. I am content with that because i use 22"LCD screen to watch movies. In fact i sold out my yamaha avr recently & bought marantz stereo amp in that place. Its 10hrs music /week vs 2 hrs movies/wk for me.
Somehow i find this HDMI pass through a waste of money as it doesnt process sound.

Thanks all

I connected Bluray player, STB, Xbox to AVR through HDMI for Video and Optical inputs for player, Xbox for audio. Used Coaxial for audio input from STB. Connected the whole setup to LCD with HDMI for video

Back