[Q] Route stereo sound through all speakers in 5.1 setup

shyamsn00

How to route 2 channel sound [a la music] through all 5 satellites of a 5.1 system [preferably mapping the left and right channels to both the left and right speakers respectively, and both channels to the center speaker]? I remember using a software that came with my motherboard that did this, but can't remember the name.

In Case you just want the sound coming from all the speakers, you could select an all channel stereo mode(if present), or else you can go Pro-Logic or Neo.

In case, you want to go for channel mapping, Media Encoder can do that, but you need to tweak the crossover and range settings, I Would highly discourage it, as it kills the sound and does not give you a 5.1 effect, in case you are trying to achieve that, the sub wont pick up frequencies from a mapped channel.
-Peace-

Sorry I usd the term "channel mapping". I only want the sound coming from all speakers. I do not find an all-channel stereo mode in Windows' sound settings.

What do Pro Logic and Neo do here? [what are they, basically?!]

These depend on your on-board sound card's utilities, if you have additional sound card then it is much better for such effects but the on-board sound card will provide the same functionality, look through carefully on the sound card's driver-utility software.
Be sure to set your system up as true 5.1 from Windows control panel (Control panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Speakers -> Configure) otherwise it may not work.
Pro-logic and Neo are Dolby standards which 'upmix' 2 channel audio source and provide a 'virtual' 5.1 output through all channels, once again this will have to be supported by your sound card.

Dolby Prologic and DTS Neo6 are algorithms used for converting stereo sound to a pseudo 5.1. In your case use a player like KMPlayer that can convert stereo to virtual 5.1. Also set your playback devices to 5.1 in Windows sound control panel.

I have set up 5.1 in Windows settings, and also found the software that came with my motherboard. I have this option called Speaker Fill that says it will do the same. Is this the same as using Dolby Pro Logic or does using Dolby or Neo enhances the surround effect?

Diolby pro-logic is a much advanced algorithm than just 'upscaling' 2 channel audio and hence as mentioned by Baiju will be much better.
Do you know your motherboard model number? That way you could get more details of its audio capabilities.

ASUS M4A88T-M/USB3

Its audio specs:

VIA VT1708S 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
Audio Feature :
- Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel

Sorry I usd the term "channel mapping". I only want the sound coming from all speakers. I do not find an all-channel stereo mode in Windows' sound settings.

What do Pro Logic and Neo do here? [what are they, basically?!]

Use foobar2000 there is an option under the DSP setting to pass sound as 4 channel. I think there is also option under the XBMC to make stereo sound output in all the speakers.

Thanks

Uhh, I don't really want to change media players for this, the option with the driver suits just fine, and can extend to more than just audio.

ASUS M4A88T-M/USB3
AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2 GHz
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB
2x 4 GB DDR3 1333 MHz Dual channel
MSI R6850 Cyclone 1GD5 Power Edition/OC

Your MB has 8ch analog out & spdf headerl too.Also HDMI out.So you have 3 options-
1.Connect multi channel analog out to similar amp.
2.spdf onboard output to AVR which can output 5.1(prologic/Neo etc)
3.Connect with HDMI & let AVR do the rest.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back