QED Vs chord

On futureshop UK, a pair costs 72 pounds. That's 6500 INR. Excluding shipping. Most of them don't even ship to India. So, I think it's fair if dealers or distributors make some margin. They have to give u support, ship the item's, pay custom's and taxes, and bribes locally. So let's be fair. Everyone is having an open shop to earn a living. Not do charity. Yes I agree the margins could and should be less. But that's not decided by us.

Having used both chord and QED, I prefer chord for music and qed for HT. Again. It's a matter of what model u r refering to.

On futureshop UK, a pair costs 72 pounds. That's 6500 INR. Excluding shipping. Most of them don't even ship to India. So, I think it's fair if dealers or distributors make some margin. They have to give u support, ship the item's, pay custom's and taxes, and bribes locally. So let's be fair. Everyone is having an open shop to earn a living. Not do charity. Yes I agree the margins could and should be less. But that's not decided by us.

Having used both chord and QED, I prefer chord for music and qed for HT. Again. It's a matter of what model u r refering to.
See, whatever it is. Be it taxes, shipping, bribe or anything else, whats the point in buying from distributors if they are selling it for more than double the price. Everyone knows ebay or any other online shopping portal, a person who buys products regularly from online(which most of are doing), will search first on internet & then goes to adealer or distributor. But there is one thing which not everyone know. When I was searching Marantz PM6006, I contacted MZ Audio Distribution, Marantz, Q Acoustics, QED, Mission, etc distributor in India. He told me that if he will sell any of the product to me, he sell it to me on MRP. But if a dealer buys a product from him, he will sell it for 50% or 60% discount. So, when asked him about what will be the price of PM6006, he told me Rs.54,000. After that I contacted to a dealer in Delhi, he said, he is not having the stock of PM6006 as he mostly sells AVRs & can get me one piece for me & price would be Rs.30,000. Later on when I asked him from did you arranged me this one piece, he said from MZ Audio Distribution. Now see, this is the whole matter.

I got 6m QED XT25 speaker cables for £47(Rs.4,500) from Glasgow, Scotland through ebay.com. In india, it was way more expensive. I asked MZ Audio Distribution as they are the QED distributor in India. They quoted me Rs.11,000 for 5m. What the hell are these distributors upto!!!
me too had similar experiences with mz audio, 5 mtr qed xt40 was around 5k on ebay and 23k with mz audio. With duties and shipping it was costing around 9k so diff was huge.

I meant what use is a warranty when most cables are never going to have any problems.

I meant what use is a warranty when most cables are never going to have any problems.
True. Nothing really happens to cables, specially speaker wire.
Maybe a bit of oxidation if exposed to air for a couple of years in very humid environment.
Cheers,
Raghu

See, whatever it is. Be it taxes, shipping, bribe or anything else, whats the point in buying from distributors if they are selling it for more than double the price. Everyone knows ebay or any other online shopping portal, a person who buys products regularly from online(which most of are doing), will search first on internet & then goes to adealer or distributor. But there is one thing which not everyone know. When I was searching Marantz PM6006, I contacted MZ Audio Distribution, Marantz, Q Acoustics, QED, Mission, etc distributor in India. He told me that if he will sell any of the product to me, he sell it to me on MRP. But if a dealer buys a product from him, he will sell it for 50% or 60% discount. So, when asked him about what will be the price of PM6006, he told me Rs.54,000. After that I contacted to a dealer in Delhi, he said, he is not having the stock of PM6006 as he mostly sells AVRs & can get me one piece for me & price would be Rs.30,000. Later on when I asked him from did you arranged me this one piece, he said from MZ Audio Distribution. Now see, this is the whole matter.

That is your experience with mz audio. Mine, and a lot of us here have had different experiences. I’ve bought lakhs of items from mz audio, always at 30% off. I have never heard mz audio selling a product at MRP to me.

You are a new member here. Please refrain from misguiding others. It is beneficial to learn here. A few points u have made. If you are talking about buying clothes, then online is cheaper. If u are talking about buying electronic items like speakers, amplifiers etc, maybe 5% will buy online. The rest 95% buy it at a dealer.

Now mz audio, is a dealer and distributor. In India, you cannot buy from a distributor directly UNLESS you know that person or company personally. Why? Because his dealers will get upset. They have bought items from the distributor and stocked them. And the dealers need to sell them. No distributor in India will give u any discounts on mrp. They will tell u, please contact the dealer in you area/region. That is the way it works.

Coming back to mz audio. Lots of forum members have got items from them. All at good deals and discounts. If you were not able to do so, that is a personal issue. But that’s not how the system works. In India distributor and dealer have a monopoly. If it’s a small item, buy it on eBay amazon etc. But I don’t think any knowledgeable member will buy an expensive speaker or AVR or DAC or source, online on eBay or any other online store.

When u contacted mz the distributor, he quoted you the MRP which is absolutely the correct thing to do. He was indirectly telling you to contact the dealer in your region. Like I said, dealers buy equipment from distributors in lakhs. And then they give discount as they see fit.

By directly giving you a discount, MZ the distributor would risk the chance of upsetting his dealers. It's not worth his while to give someone a discount directly and burn bridges with his dealer network across India. I hope you understand what I'm saying.

What u have experienced is the business way of life. Like I said earlier, no one is out to do charity. It’s a business. Just like you have checked with 20 dealers, online sites etc and tried to bargain to get the best price (like we all do), theirs is also a business. If u like it, u buy it. In India we don’t have a choice when it comes to good expensive gear. I wish you good luck in your hifi endeavour.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't know about the numbers being quoted here, but then business works like this.
OEM sets a price, Distributor sets a price for a country/region, Dealer sets the price for the consumer.
Typically distributors do not sell directly to consumer unless it is a bulk order or they have direct sales policy.
Bottomline is if the price is high don't buy. There are a few direct sell companies; if suitable buy from them.
Petition the Indian government to reduce duties; audio video equipment is taxed in luxury bracket.

Cheers,
Raghu

That is your experience with mz audio. Mine, and a lot of us here have had different experiences. I’ve bought lakhs of items from mz audio, always at 30% off. I have never heard mz audio selling a product at MRP to me.

You are a new member here. Please refrain from misguiding others. It is beneficial to learn here. A few points u have made. If you are talking about buying clothes, then online is cheaper. If u are talking about buying electronic items like speakers, amplifiers etc, maybe 5% will buy online. The rest 95% buy it at a dealer.

Now mz audio, is a dealer and distributor. In India, you cannot buy from a distributor directly UNLESS you know that person or company personally. Why? Because his dealers will get upset. They have bought items from the distributor and stocked them. And the dealers need to sell them. No distributor in India will give u any discounts on mrp. They will tell u, please contact the dealer in you area/region. That is the way it works.

Coming back to mz audio. Lots of forum members have got items from them. All at good deals and discounts. If you were not able to do so, that is a personal issue. But that’s not how the system works. In India distributor and dealer have a monopoly. If it’s a small item, buy it on eBay amazon etc. But I don’t think any knowledgeable member will buy an expensive speaker or AVR or DAC or source, online on eBay or any other online store.

When u contacted mz the distributor, he quoted you the MRP which is absolutely the correct thing to do. He was indirectly telling you to contact the dealer in your region. Like I said, dealers buy equipment from distributors in lakhs. And then they give discount as they see fit.

By directly giving you a discount, MZ the distributor would risk the chance of upsetting his dealers. It's not worth his while to give someone a discount directly and burn bridges with his dealer network across India. I hope you understand what I'm saying.

What u have experienced is the business way of life. Like I said earlier, no one is out to do charity. It’s a business. Just like you have checked with 20 dealers, online sites etc and tried to bargain to get the best price (like we all do), theirs is also a business. If u like it, u buy it. In India we don’t have a choice when it comes to good expensive gear. I wish you good luck in your hifi endeavour.
Very useful explanation

Very useful explanation for new people like me!

Suggest me a good speaker cable for pair with QA 3020s as Main hooked with Anthem AVR!
QED r Chord?
I’m using basic cables (don’t know brand name) now which are a compliment with previously purchased Marantz nr 1506.

I have purchased Boston Acoustics speakers from MZ Audio last year and the price was lowest among all dealers I have came across. He also suggested me Mission, Taga speakers on great price. He also offer me Pioneer and Marantz AVR on great price which are absolutely challenge to the market. He was ready to ship Marantz SR 6012 to me cash on delivery mode. As for me I have a great experience dealing with MZ Audio....

Which speaker cable have natural sound
Whatever does that mean?
Go for minimum 16awg copper cable. Finolex speaker cables are a very good starting point.
If you are in coastal area then tinned copper is good. Belden makes them.

If you ofcourse fall in the cable trap, then sky is the limit. You will get to learn lots of fancy techno babble like cryogenic treatment, skin effect, frozen electrons, fluid filled insulation and what not.
There are threads dedicated to 'Effect of cables'. Read them.

Being a distributor of imported electronics is a tough situation. You have to grapple with wide competition, low volume sales and grey market issues.
So the mark-up is usually very high to compensate for these factors.
But since this is information age, buyers get to know the international prices, so that will serve as a bargaining point after you weigh in the duty and GST.
So if the Indian prices are twice or thrice the international price, it has no relevance as the MRP in India is fixed by the importer and not the manufacturer.
Also most high end products are mostly on order basis and you never get to listen and buy.

So if you find huge disparity in prices in India versus international, bargain hard.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back