Quality Headphones 10 - 15K

ShaQ.Blogs

hey guys..Long since i've been here. :)
I'm looking for a really good quality over the ear headphones (should fit the ear completely). My budget is preferably 10-12K. If its really good i'm willing to go higher.

• Should have really good Bass. So prefer ones with extra but quality bass!
  • Mid range - I have PSB T6 and really happy with the Mid Range. So something on the same lines or better.
  • Would be great if it also has surround. Will surely watch a few movies with surround in the night!
  • Will use for both music and movies with surround.

What are my choices?

These look great and has really good reviews. But reluctant cos its on the ear! Would prefer over the ear.

Last edited:
Do check Philips fidelio X1 for good soundstage with bass punch and they have really comfortable headband.

Last edited:
You can buy Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear headphone though it is slightly costly.
Ran into this earlier. This is a bit overpriced for my budget. So kinda reluctant.
The same model, on the ear is going at 10K. Big difference for over the ear version. Wonder if anything else is different in them.

What other choices do I have?
Primarily looking for good soundstage, neutral mid's and really punchy clean tight bass.

Got a HD998 after pondering a while. Got a demo at the official showroom.
Also got this at a good price from a store near home.

Good buy. What are you running them from?

Marantz 7005 & Galaxy Note 2 with PlayerPro.
Power aside, It sounds really well in both. I was surprised. I didnt see much of a difference. After listening for a while, I prefer Note 2 over Marantz.

Last edited:
Good Choice . I too bought HD598 last month.. So far have used for ~20 Hours . I m using them on my PC, I have an internal sound card -SoundBlaster Z . The cans are really awesome ! For how much did you get them?

Hi , I got my Logitech UE900 for 12600/-, a month backwhich is also bluetooth as well as have NC. Hand a pretty good great Bass and apple campatable.

Marantz 7005 & Galaxy Note 2 with PlayerPro.
Power aside, It sounds really well in both. I was surprised. I didnt see much of a difference. After listening for a while, I prefer Note 2 over Marantz.

I'm debating between ATH-M50X and Sennheise HD 598. Although there is a clean difference in sonic signature between both, akin to the open vs closed structure, I have not been able to pick one between the both.

Also the HD 598s are priced at ~ $100 in the US and in India the current price is significantly higher. M50x on the other hand is priced almost similarly.

Price aside, I am mostly concerned about the low freq projection on HD 598s. I've read quite a few reviews also stating that they are not very good for fast music because of the driver's technology. I listen to a good deal of Extreme Metal (bands like Periphery, Meshuggah, Tool, etc.) and also some EDM (Avici, SHM, etc.).

It'll be helpful if you can share your experience with HD 598s.

Cheers !!

@mvikred

For your tastes in music i would recommend the ath m50xs hands down!!!
The hd 598s lack that exciting punch and low end. The senns have a rather laid back sound.They are supremely comfortable though.

I'm debating between ATH-M50X and Sennheise HD 598. Although there is a clean difference in sonic signature between both, akin to the open vs closed structure, I have not been able to pick one between the both.

Also the HD 598s are priced at ~ $100 in the US and in India the current price is significantly higher. M50x on the other hand is priced almost similarly.

Price aside, I am mostly concerned about the low freq projection on HD 598s. I've read quite a few reviews also stating that they are not very good for fast music because of the driver's technology. I listen to a good deal of Extreme Metal (bands like Periphery, Meshuggah, Tool, etc.) and also some EDM (Avici, SHM, etc.).

It'll be helpful if you can share your experience with HD 598s.

Cheers !!

Hi
The HD598 are reasonably flat, and a bit bright . I havent tried the m50x , but I read they have better low end than HD598 . The HD598 are so comfortable to wear, and light weight , that you will forget that you are wearing them . I m not sure about M50 , but as per some users and friends they have tight clamping force and also owing to closed nature and tight fit , they might not be so much comfortable to wear . The sound stage of HD598 is just brilliant , as you already might know. An Amp is not needed to power the HD598, but they sound better with an AMP . I have found that they actually come to life when connected to an amp . I have used my HD598 with my iPod4 touch, S3, and my SoundBlaster Z ( Through head-amp out) . They sound much lively with the SoundBlaster Z's integrated headAmp. :yahoo:

@mvikred

For your tastes in music i would recommend the ath m50xs hands down!!!
The hd 598s lack that exciting punch and low end. The senns have a rather laid back sound.They are supremely comfortable though.

@visakharun

Thanks. I am gravitating towards the M50x too. However, I do enjoy the openness too, particularly for the Jazz and Blues (that I also listen to). I guess, I'll get the HS558/598 as my second set of headphones !! :)

Got myself some M50x sweetness. Pretty happy with the sound output. These can get pretty loud without an amp. However I'll get a DAC/AMP combo soon. Rock, Metal, and Jazz...all sound great. Really solid delivery.

I didn't get a HD 558 primarily because its way too expensive in India. Will grab one when someone is coming down to India from the US. Maybe just get a 650 itself.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back