Quantum Physics

srisaikat

I do not know where to put this stuff. Apart from music, the subject I have interest (same or more than music) is Physics. Here is interesting video I am sharing.........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7Z_TIw9InA

I hope it will expand the horizon of real (some time boring) world knowledge. If you have any other interesting link on physics (relativity and Quantum) or on other subject you can share here. Thanks....

Hope this sheds some light to the unknown behavior of electrons under supervision
The Electron as a Confined Photon (PDF Download Availablehttps://googleweblight.com/?lite_url=https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Chip_Akins/publication/273446763_The_Electron_as_a_Confined_Photon/links/55019ff80cf2d60c0e5f889d.pdf%3FinViewer%3D0%26pdfJsDownload%3D0%26origin%3Dpublication_detail&lc=en-IN&s=1&m=346&host=www.google.co.in&ts=1457511926&sig=APY536xAPvm6sih725YD2EfsS2dC7qXpMA

Well ... people invoke Quantum physics to sell high priced audio equipment, so it must be some pretty interesting stuff ...

As per my knowledge based on high school Physics, electron doesn't have mass and hence it can't be a particle; its a wave, whereas a photon though not having mass shows characteristics of both particle and wave.

The video shows the experiments done with electrons at first and then switch over to photons. It is confusing as to what the presenter is wanting to prove.

Am I missing anything here?

As per my knowledge based on high school Physics, electron doesn't have mass and hence it can't be a particle; its a wave, whereas a photon though not having mass shows characteristics of both particle and wave.

The video shows the experiments done with electrons at first and then switch over to photons. It is confusing as to what the presenter is wanting to prove.

Am I missing anything here?

Electrons do have mass. 9.1110 raised to ?31 kilograms

Physics is the most intriguing of all sciences and our knowledge about physics keep changing :)

Electron does have mass and it definitely is a particle, albeit one that demonstrates the properties of a wave. This video explains this in a very lucid manner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBFDp-ppG6I

In classical Physics if you threw a ball on the wall 100% of the times it will bounce back. Quantum world is not so determinate. There is some finite probability that an electron would cross over to the other side of a wall like barrier. It's quite spooky.
The Dancing Wuli Masters by Zukav was a rage way back. Though the purists found the mysticism off-putting.

One of the reason I picked this subject for this thread that many (or most) of us love to explain every thing or incident in a rational way, that is may be fundamental human nature which is also the cause of quest for knowledge. But Quantum Physics is the grey area where rational thought of general human being find it's limitation. A thing which behaves both like particle and wave is not a subject which you will find in daily life routine but they are the basic matters of which every body is made of. So always be rational or practical with limited knowledge is not really rational or practical after all . We should always try to keep our mind open.

There are still couple or more Nobel prizes waiting for the person who will propose a suitable theory to explain the dual nature (as well as intelligent or interactive nature in respect of detector) of photon properly and an universal theory which will meet Gravitational Waves theory proposed by Einstein without any contradiction.

Last edited:
So always be rational or practical with limited knowledge is not really rational or practical after all . We should always try to keep our mind open.

Well said Srisaikat. :thumbsup:

Trying to be rational with limited understanding of the subject is the most irrational thing to do. Best way forward is to be moderate with an open mind.

There are still couple or more Nobel prizes waiting for the person who will propose a suitable theory to explain the dual nature (as well as intelligent or interactive nature in respect of detector) of photon properly and an universal theory which will meet Gravitational Waves theory proposed by Einstein without any contradiction.

Wave-particle dualities are already explained by quantum field theories. QFTs treat particles as excited states of an underlying physical field: the particles are therefore field quanta. Quantum Electrodynamics (QED) is the QFT that pertains to the electromagnetic field and photons.

Unifying gravity with the other three fundamental interactions (Strong, Weak and Electromagnetic) should give the so called Theory of Everything (TOE), and nobody has succeeded in this effort yet, including Einstein.

Do any of you physics guys know of some good video/presentations/tutorials to get kids interested into physics. Should not be very math heavy and easy to understand..

Not quite for kids but teenagers can get an overall idea about the evolution took place around this subject over last few centuries (up to the modern age) .........A Brief History of Time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGpfu-KpuLw

Without engagement in heavy math any one can enjoy this video......

Last edited:
Do any of you physics guys know of some good video/presentations/tutorials to get kids interested into physics. Should not be very math heavy and easy to understand..
When I was kid; dad bought few Russian science books by MIR Publishers. There was a two part books titled 'Physics for entertainment' very nice read in easy language. Amazon : Physics for entertainment.

Other physics related books were Physics for everyone. If science is what kids like other books are... Its chancy chancy chancy world, Science for everyone (magnetism, Lots of titles), how radio works, Physiology for everyone, Essays about the universe. Figures for fun. I had all these. Very Readable. Some were borrowed and never returned, some went to my nephews and relatives.
Regards.

Last edited:
Back