Queries from a Newbie

MrBig

Hi All

I was doing some research on setting up a Home Theater system and stumbled upon this forum. This is certainly a God-Send for Indian music lovers.

I am a novice in this area and I am looking for some help from the experts here.

Objective:- To set up a Home Theatre System which also plays exceptionally good Music. I want to do this in multiple phases so that I can spread out the expenses.

Uses:- My Movie to Music ratio is 50:50. My taste in Music is purely western but spans across genres (I.e. Pop, Rock, Metal and occasionally even classical). My source of music would primarily be from an bipod (i.e. iTouch)

Budget for Phase I :- Rs 30,000/-

Objective for Phase I - Most of my budget would go towards the Speakers. Looking at various posts on this forum I can see Waferdale Diamond series seem to be a good choice. The next priority for phase I would be a good DVD player. I would make-do with an average AV receiver for Phase I.

In subsequent phases I would upgrade the AV Receiver.

Questions:-
1. What would be a budget 5.1 Channel Receiver I can opt for. Would Norge be a good choice??
2. Any other options other than waferdale that is worth considering for this budget? I would be auditioning a few more. Any suggestions are welcome.
3. Since I would be using the setup to listen to music as well does it make sense to invest in a separate stereo amplifier?? i.e. Are 5.1 AV Receivers comparable to 2 channel stereo amplifier for music. Any comments??

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks and Regards
David

Hi:

I will share something for the stereo part. Yes, separates or a combo of cdp plus an integrated amplifier are the way to go if you want to listen to music and the rest are all just compromise, the reason, AVR signal path is complicated and will surely degrade the final SQ for two-channel music, but that's not the case of an integrated amp, were signal flows quite straigtforward, the result being excellent SQ.

Having said that, for 50k budget, from what I've heard ...

Speakers
Diamond 9.5
Diamond 9.1/9.2
MA BR5/BR2
MS Aviano 6/1/2

Integrated Amplifiers + CDP
CA 340A/340C V2
CA 640A/640C V2
Marantz PM7001/CD5001
NAD 320/325BEE/C545 (used)

All IMO.

:)

Last edited:
I agree wth Vinod's sugeestion about stereo. I think going for an entry level AV receiver is not as good an idea as a good 2 channel audio system, since you may want to listen to music as well.My suggestion would be to consider building up your speakers-2 channel, then sub, then plan the HT part of it, without necessarily discarding the 2 channel audio system, if that is an option that you can cosnider.

George

You objectives are good, but unfortunately your budget does not match that. To get 'exceptionally good music' you have to look at an AVR somewhere at the 100,000 range. Similarly to get 'exceptionally good music', you have to look for DVD player costing 20,000 or more from companies such as Oppo or CA.

1. What would be a budget 5.1 Channel Receiver I can opt for. Would Norge be a good choice??
Norge does not make AVRs. They limit themselves to two channel music.

3. Since I would be using the setup to listen to music as well does it make sense to invest in a separate stereo amplifier?? i.e. Are 5.1 AV Receivers comparable to 2 channel stereo amplifier for music.

Unless you look at the ultra high end, an AVR will generally be a compromise for music. If you are serious about music, it will be far cheaper to go for a two channel amp and a good pair of speakers.

Since your source is going to be iPod, I am assuming most of your music will be MP3. In that case, it may be better to get an iPod dock. But let me make you aware - irrespective of what you do, MP3, unless recorded very carefully at 320KBPS, will give you only mediocre sound. Ultimately everything depends upon what you mean when you say 'exceptionally good music'.

The best for you will be to listen to both an AVR and an integrated stereo amp, and let your ears decide.

Cheers

Hi All

I was doing some research on setting up a Home Theater system and stumbled upon this forum. This is certainly a God-Send for Indian music lovers.

I am a novice in this area and I am looking for some help from the experts here.

Objective:- To set up a Home Theatre System which also plays exceptionally good Music. I want to do this in multiple phases so that I can spread out the expenses.

Uses:- My Movie to Music ratio is 50:50. My taste in Music is purely western but spans across genres (I.e. Pop, Rock, Metal and occasionally even classical). My source of music would primarily be from an bipod (i.e. iTouch)

Budget for Phase I :- Rs 30,000/-

Objective for Phase I - Most of my budget would go towards the Speakers. Looking at various posts on this forum I can see Waferdale Diamond series seem to be a good choice. The next priority for phase I would be a good DVD player. I would make-do with an average AV receiver for Phase I.

Thanks and Regards
David

Hi David,
See my suggestion regarding similar requirement here >> http://www.hifivision.com/what-should-i-buy/7395-need-advice-home-theatre-30k.html
This link should serve you for Phase-1 of your purchase...

1. In case WD 9.2 is not available... you should try for Norge Millenium Bookshelf (12.5k approx). It's worthwhile to wait for either of them, even if it takes 1 month for delivery.

2. On the other hand, audition the Philips HTIB 3571 (17.5k at ezone, Pune). chk link here >> Philips - DVD home theater system HTS3571/98 - 5.1/7.1 Home theatres - Home theatre - Sound and vision I found these pretty good for Music and 5.1 movie despite the fact that all satellite spkrs are 3" dia full-range spkrs and the subwoofer is passive. IMHO this can give the abovementioned link option costing 30k a good competition!!!

Let your ears decide...

Regds,

Hi All

Thanks for your replies and advice.

One thing seems clear from all your posts Its better to go for 2 Channel Stereo setup for Music and separate set up for HT. This is keeping in mind budget and performance.

So I have decided to phase it as below

Phase I - CD player + iPOD Dock + Integrated Amplifier + 2 Channel Speakers Floor Standing

Phase II Add a Sub-Woofer

Phase III DVD Player + 5.1 AV Receiver + Surround Speakers (Retain speakers from Phase I and Sub from Phase II).

Questions What are the audition friendly shops in Bangalore or Chennai? Also those that have a wider range of brands?

Thanks and Regards
David

Phase I - CD player + iPOD Dock + Integrated Amplifier + 2 Channel Speakers Floor Standing

Yes, way to go.

Questions What are the audition friendly shops in Bangalore or Chennai? Also those that have a wider range of brands?

Chennai
Decibel - | decibel - the art of sound | Home Theatre, Hi-Fi, Custom Installation, High End Audio, Multi Zone Installers Chennai, India
Grand Cinema - Grand Cinema- Home Theater/hi-fi
Home Talkies - Home taalkies
Audio People - Welcome to The Audio People : Chennai Premiere high - end hi-fi Shop

:)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back