Query about buying blu ray discs from amazon

abhishekk89

Hi everyone..
I'm new here..in fact just joined today..first of all let me tell u that I'm impressed with the forum here..finally I get to talk to people who know their stuff..second, i'm saddened at not being able to join you guys earlier..

Anyways now to business..I finally got my home theater i always wished for..
JBL ES 7.1 Speakers
Marantz 7002 SR Amp
Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray Player
Panasonic PT-AE3000 Projector

I believe i've got a decent setup and now i need to enjoy some excellent blu-ray movies..till now i've been relying on blu-ray rips lying around in torrent sites..and i'm not satisfied with it..so i have decided to buy original titles..since here in india as titles are scarce, i thought why not buy from amazon..my blu ray player supports region A and since in USA the same region code is supported i thought buying from amazon is the best option i've got..now i wanna know whether its safe and reliable to buy..will i need to pay any duty and other stuff..and anyone here have actually bought blu-ray movies from amazon..

Secondly since i live here in bangalore you guys know any shop, store or any outlet or ppl who rent blu ray movies plz temme...

Plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz help me out guys..i'm a newbie..any suggestions any thoughts anything is greatly appreciated...

Buying movies from Amazon is already covered in some of the threads. Please search.

I would also recommend that you buy used DVD/BDs at Amazon and have them shipped to your relatives/friends in USA and then have them shipped to you in India in batches. I have done this with Amazon.uk and think that you will be able to save money on the cost of the movies as well as shipping too (relative to what Amazon charges).

Last edited:
thanks for the reply.. i unfortunately don't have relatives in us or uk...

so any idea roughly how much shipping would cost me per single bd..

I think it is $5 per batch and then $2 or $3 per each DVD/BD. Check help at Amazon.com and look for international shiping.

You can buy the Blu rays from amazon.com and its perfectly safe. If you want to save on the customs part then try to order below 100 $ inclusive of shipping. Their normal delivery takes around 20 days time and is usually dilevered through our post office. Their expedited orders take around 15 days and delivered via a local courier. But if you order your blu rays in bulk i.e more than 5 disks then choose their international courier shipping which would reach you within a weeks time and is generally delivered through DHL. If a customs duty is charged then it would be in the tune of 36% which is calculated on the cost of the consignment + shipping cost.

ok thanks a lot guys..i guess i can wait for 20 days..
btw what's meant by expedited orders ??
and any idea about buying computer peripherals from amazon being safe ??
jus wanted a motherboard for my htpc..

Amazon only ships DVD's and Books directly to India for the rest of the goods i.e electronics goods or parts you have to look elsewhere. Expediate is another mode of shipping mentioned in Amazon.com you can check out the same before making the final payments.
For Electronics part like yours if its avaliable on amazon then you could order the same through Shop in the US from India @ 20North - Millions of products, Thousands of brands which they will deliver to India.

thanks ashish...
finally i could convince my dad...

and hey guys...anyone know anything about blu-ray rentals in bangalore...
that link was not useful..

Just a update, I ordered some DVDs from Amazon Uk for the first time seeing that people have received the same over here. Ok I placed my order on 16th Sept. (evening) the same was shipped out on 17th , the expected delivery date was 28th. I received them today. Packet was open but all the discs were in sealed condition. I paid GBP 6 for shipping for the DVDs woth GBP 26 total GBP 32

Just a update, I ordered some DVDs from Amazon Uk for the first time seeing that people have received the same over here. Ok I placed my order on 16th Sept. (evening) the same was shipped out on 17th , the expected delivery date was 28th. I received them today. Packet was open but all the discs were in sealed condition. I paid GBP 6 for shipping for the DVDs woth GBP 26 total GBP 32

You paid using Indian credit card? Do we have to pay some "extra" if using indian credit cards?

Since SP Road is the best to get the PC parts, why you want to get the parts from Amazon without indian warranty?

hi,

i guess LandMark, Planet M, Calipso etc......all these retailers help you to get the bluray dvd's at no extra cost/advance......they just take 2 weeks to process the order, that's it. I got my Matrix Triology ordered thru landmark Jayanagar(Swagath garuda mall)......i don't know frm where they bought it....but any movie u ask them, they manage to get it.

cheers

i like to buy mummy triology blu-ray from amazon.
anybody con confirm it is region free.
how to find region free blu-rays in amazon?

I have been buying DVDs and recently BDs from Amazon.com from the past couple of years and I have never had any problems with customs etc. As someone earlier explained, the package reaches in 15-20 days with "Standard International Shipping".

The fact is, Region 1 DVDs and now Region A BDs are so cheap there compared to the prices quoted locally ( shocking !!), it's worth getting it from USA, especially during the holiday season.

hi,

i guess LandMark, Planet M, Calipso etc......all these retailers help you to get the bluray dvd's at no extra cost/advance......they just take 2 weeks to process the order, that's it. I got my Matrix Triology ordered thru landmark Jayanagar(Swagath garuda mall)......i don't know frm where they bought it....but any movie u ask them, they manage to get it.

cheers
Hey Aneel,
Is it the indian pricing or dollar converted price that you've paid? Indian prices are still bit on higher side than that of US. For many movies the difference is almost half of the price here (except Matrix I guess, as I've seen the price of matrix here is 1299Rs. here and US was 23.5$, not much difference). But all other movies I bought the difference was huge.

Hey Aneel,
Is it the indian pricing or dollar converted price that you've paid? Indian prices are still bit on higher side than that of US. For many movies the difference is almost half of the price here (except Matrix I guess, as I've seen the price of matrix here is 1299Rs. here and US was 23.5$, not much difference). But all other movies I bought the difference was huge.

It was the Indian price only, I guess I paid around 3.5k.

cheers.

It was the Indian price only, I guess I paid around 3.5k.

cheers.
Thanks for the info, bit costly :-( I'm waiting for the prices to come down to 500Rs per movie. Till then Amazon will rock :yahoo: Just missed a good chance of getting Band of Brothers Blu-Ray which was available for only 37$ for few days(Xmas offering I guess) as few days back ordered DVD's for the same for 30$ as Blu-ray cost was high :sad:

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back