Query around cables for Surround Speaker

gifen

Hello,

I have DefTech Promonitor 1000 speakers that I use as my surround. I currently connect it with AmazonBasics 16 gauge basic cables. I am planning to get a better 14 gauge ofc cable instead. Do you guys have any suggestion on what cables should i get? My cable runs around 38 feet for one speaker.

thanks and regards
Gifen

This is for HT application, rear channels and 8 ohm speakers with a distance less than 50ft. 16 awg should be fine. Rest is individual's preference.

"Thick wire (12 or 14 gauge) is recommended for long wire runs, high power applications, and low-impedance speakers (4 or 6 ohms). For relatively short runs (less than 50 feet) to 8 ohm speakers, 16 gauge wire will usually do just fine. It’s cost-effective and easy to work with."

"As you can see in the graph, once your distances exceed about 10 feet, you should consider speaker wire 16AWG or lower. If you are using a loudspeaker that is rated at 4 ohms, the critical distance becomes about half that. It is really important to use thicker wire for long cable runs, especially when driving a lot of power into low impedance loudspeaker systems."

This is for HT application, rear channels and 8 ohm speakers with a distance less than 50ft. 16 awg should be fine. Rest is individual's preference.

"Thick wire (12 or 14 gauge) is recommended for long wire runs, high power applications, and low-impedance speakers (4 or 6 ohms). For relatively short runs (less than 50 feet) to 8 ohm speakers, 16 gauge wire will usually do just fine. It’s cost-effective and easy to work with."

"As you can see in the graph, once your distances exceed about 10 feet, you should consider speaker wire 16AWG or lower. If you are using a loudspeaker that is rated at 4 ohms, the critical distance becomes about half that. It is really important to use thicker wire for long cable runs, especially when driving a lot of power into low impedance loudspeaker systems."
Should have read the OPs post more carefully regarding the speakers and room size. having said that, my original obervation was derived from the very article that you cited from Audioholics :p. Considering they use actual measurements, these guys offer pretty safe and reliable advice.

Thanks guys! any recommended Cables that you suggest? I mean particular brand or something. If any place/ anyone in Bangalore selling these, pls let me know.

Thick wire (12 or 14 gauge) is recommended for long wire runs, high power applications, and low-impedance speakers (4 or 6 ohms)
Also Amazon 12awg is not actually 12awg; it is actually 15awg according to the measurements. Similarly, your 16awg will be much worse in reality.
Read this...

Thanks guys! any recommended Cables that you suggest? I mean particular brand or something. If any place/ anyone in Bangalore selling these, pls let me know.

If you are open to buying 12AWG , go get the Belden 8477 cables. They cost about 160/meter and are really good.

I have onkyo HT 5805 5.1.2 system and currently using the default wires came with it.

Please suggest if i need to change speaker cables for all speakers what is the gauge to be used and brand?

My room size is 11x12 and except rear and atmos speakers others are in 1-3 meters distant from the avr.

Normal household Finolex cable is much better than Amazonbasics cable. Amazonbasics is copper coated whereas Finolex is copper cable.

fancy brands are individual preferences and budget affordability they don’t add much to the sound( my observations )

Iam using the ultra thin white wires which came along with a Yamaha reciever for my surrounds ( Monitor Audio Bronze 2). No issues at all.

1.5 sq mm electrical wire will also do just fine.

Hi,
It seems Amazon basic OFC cable is out of stock. This one is available though.

Any idea on the quality of C&E.
Better than Amazon Basic as that one is copper coated aluminum (cheating), where as this one is pure copper. C&E is very popular among installers. Make sure you are getting appropriately shielded ones if it is for in-wall application.

Basic speaker cables from Klotz and Canare are pretty cheap and easily available here in india nowadays. I have often bought spools from multiple distributors and the quality is just outstanding. As for VFM cable , havells make pretty darn good genuine copper speaker wires too.

Basic speaker cables from Klotz and Canare are pretty cheap and easily available here in india nowadays. I have often bought spools from multiple distributors and the quality is just outstanding. As for VFM cable , havells make pretty darn good genuine copper speaker wires too.
How are DAC cables.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back