Query regarding sound processing by external DAC before transferring to Amp also with a DAC

SuperSumit

Recently purchased a pair of ELAC B6.2 and Denon PMA 600NE. At present, I have connected my desktop with an Optical Out port with the Denon for playing hi-res music. In future, I would like to play this from a portable music player with inbuilt storage connected to the Denon via optical/coax. My question is the Denon has a 192/24 DAC. The portable music player will also have its own DAC. Will the music be processed/de-coded twice (once in the player and then again in Denon)? I would rather have a portable device that will pass the music in pure digital format to the Denon for processing. Is this possible?

Optical/Coax will bitstream the digital data (may/may not bit-perfect) from your new audio player to Denon PMA. Denon will process this digital information and convert it to an Analog signal using its built-in DAC. So, to answer your question, no double-conversion will take place if you connect your new media player to Denon PMA via Optical/Coax.

Sumit, now comes the fun part! You now have to discern which DAC sounds better, your portable media player or the Denon's onboard DAC.
Have fun!

Thanks all. This absolutely answers my question...except one. If the DAP just bitstreams data when the coax/optical out port is used, and I want to use the DAC of Denon only, then does it matter if I buy a DAP sub 10k DAP or 30k+ DAP. (as long as it has a Coax/Digital Out port). Also, could you pls recommend a few DAP for this purpose (feeding digital audio to the Denon).

Instead of a DAP possibly you should look at a network player. Something like the Marantz NA6006 or Denon DNP line or Bluesound....the list goes on.
There is a very good chance that there will be audible difference between a 10K and 30K player even if they 'only' bitstream the digital out. I might be opening a can of worms but you will learn that not all digital outs are the same. Engineering and R&D makes a great bit of difference between two digital outputs even though from outside they would seem to be doing exactly the same job.
Look at something by Allo, like their Digione Signature player for a value for money solution as your network player with digital out. You can buy these in India as opposed to having to import them, that is a plus.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back