Quest for a new tape deck

javed

-= thanks for creating this forum =-

are there any yamaha kx-393 owners around? would like to know if it sounds good. it is available in pune. my other options (will have to import) are marantz sd4051, denon (drm-555, 595). guys here are charging 3 times their US list price.

any 3 headed decks out there?

I used to own a three head Technics cassette deck many many years ago. if you are importing one definately buy a 3-head cassette deck.

here are some models that you can consider:

Sony TC-KE500S 3 head Cassette Deck

Denon DRM-555 3 head Cassette Deck

Hi Javed,

I am not sure if you have already finalized your purchase.
Just wanted to share that I own a Denon DRW-585 tape deck for the last few years, and I am pretty happy with it.
http://usa.denon.com/DRW585_productsheet.pdf

It is quite musical, and has a smooth mechanism which gives the sound a CD feel (without reducing the sampling rate like CD does). There isn't much of a hiss, that you would normally notice on many tape decks. Several people who had no idea about the media and equipment I was using, noticed how clean the sound was.
I am hoping that the DRW695 would be as good. Give it an audition...

Thanks,
Sharad

sure, am looking at those two too. will let you know once i get the sys home. thanks for your inputs.

Take a look at Onkyo-I've had one for several years-v.clean sound, well made & priced reasonably.
Since cassettes are a dying medium, methinks it may not be wise to plonk down too much money on a fancy deck.
Regards,
Kamal

Look out for a Nakamichi pre used deck, all the other decks which are manufactured now a days are only 50% of the quality of Nakamichi. i have used CR 3 , 600 II and the quality is amazing , unfortunately i sold both . Recently when i wanted to buy an Cassette deck i was ashamed when i had an audition of Denon decks which is really pathatic. Nakamichi and Tanberg Still Rules Cassette Decks.

My line of thought is a bit different.
It is good cassette decks that may die, not your cassette collection! So spend money and buy a good one while they are still available. They would become extremely expensive when companies like Onkyo, Denon and Yamaha stop producing the affordable good quality decks due to insufficient demand.

Thanks,
Sharad

Hi Javed,

So which one did you buy finally? I am hunting high and low for a Yamaha KX-393. Please could you let me have the relevant contacts, preferably in Bombay/ Delhi else Pune? Many thanks.

Pers

Hi,
I have been using a Nakamichi DR 10( 3 head) for the last two years. Before that had a Denon 3 head cant remember the model. Of all the decks i have used i.e sony, technics,denon and nakamichi, I would rate the Nak as fantastic then the technics, then sony and finally the denon. I didnt know companies are still making 3 head machines but if u get a used one buy it. U could get a used Nak for 10K which to me is a bargain. Having said that if u are not going to record a lot a decent 2 head machine would do too just avoid the twin decks which are poor sounding. If in Mumbai try a place called THE SHOP at JUHU. When the Nakamichi dealer shut shop these guys bought all the stock and till last year they had 2 New Nakamichi decks (DR 8 & DR 10). U can bargain big time!!!!!!!!
Regards.

hello

Nakamichi decks are built to last and doesnt need any servicing for a long long time , i have two deck for the past many years and i record from the LPs and the Cds . i havent changed the belts or the heads and its still running , and as people above said Nakamichi is worth buying.

david.

Dinyaar,

Do you have the contact details for THE SHOP in Juhu? I live in Chennai and could ask him to ship me one, if he yet has a piece.

Venkat

Sure Venkat. The numbers are 2623 7800, 2620 4710. Had given a few forum members these numbers and one of them reverted back that THE SHOP had finally sold the Nakamichis. U can still confirm with them.
Regards

Dinyaar. He does not have any more Nakamichis' Boooo Hooooo !!!!!!:eek:

Renjith, I contacted the number is the URL you send, and he has asked me to contact him on Friday. My only issue is that, being a studio, the equipment will be overused. Anyhow let me see.

Thanks guys

Look at if you're hung up on a Nak. There's quite a few good ones on offer at any time and if you're lucky, a sparingly used 3-head can be had in the 200 dollar range.

Of course shipping to India will add to the bill but it still works out to good VFM compared to anything you're likely to get here. You may have someone in the US who can bring it for you or keep it till you visit.

Look at Audiogon and ebay (in that order) if you're hung up on a Nak. There's quite a few good ones on offer at any time and if you're lucky, a sparingly used 3-head can be had in the 200 dollar range.

Of course shipping to India will add to the bill but it still works out to good VFM compared to anything you're likely to get here. You may have someone in the US who can bring it for you or keep it till you visit.

Yes persiflage, I certainly lust after a Nakamichi. If nothing I would like it to sit proudly in my system rack, adding oooomph to the set up. Believe me, it is a collector's item. Sometime ago I sold away a valve based radio that I had from Murphy. I have been cursing myself since that day.

Thank you. I will now actively start looking for a Nakamichi.

Hi Venkat,
U will surely find them on ebay/audiogon.
U are right on the Nak being a collectors item, add to that it outperforms most of the modern Tape decks. I have a DR 10 (Gold LE). I would hate to part with it even though i rarely use it. Its the last 3 head machine built by nak and though its nowhere in the league of some earlier Naks it plays perfectly.
Hope u find one soon.
Regards

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back