Question about DAC use with Marantz PM 6006

hemya

I have a Marantz PM 6006 which is used to drive Energy CF70 floor standing speakers. The audio source is usually a Fiio X1 with a mix of FLAC and mp3.

The setup is mainly used for music from the X1

Sometimes I use the laptop to watch movies. At such times will a USB DAC make a big difference.

I have a chance to get a used Fiio E18 or a Fiio E10K. Both there are headphone DAC units. If it were to make a difference, which one would be better.

I dont really want to spend on a new one as I just got myself a used Rega RP1 performance pack form another FM. So the choice is really between these two units only.

The Fiio E18 uses a PCM1798 from Texas Instruments
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm1798.pdf

The Fiio E10K uses a PCM 5102 chip
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm5102.pdf

Cheers!

I have a Marantz PM 6006 which is used to drive Energy CF70 floor standing speakers. The audio source is usually a Fiio X1 with a mix of FLAC and mp3.

The setup is mainly used for music from the X1

Sometimes I use the laptop to watch movies. At such times will a USB DAC make a big difference.

I have a chance to get a used Fiio E18 or a Fiio E10K. Both there are headphone DAC units. If it were to make a difference, which one would be better.

I dont really want to spend on a new one as I just got myself a used Rega RP1 performance pack form another FM. So the choice is really between these two units only.

Let me try and understand your requirement.

You have a PM6006 which you use to listen to music from a Fiio X1.

You want to watch movies on your laptop.

So far so good.

What are you trying to do ?

ALT 1) you want to send the audio from your laptop to your PM6006 to hear it through your existing speakers ? The amp has a decent DAC but accepts only optical or coax inputs. Therefore you want a USB DAC

ALT 2) you want the audio from your laptop to a set of headphones and you want a reasonably good headphone DAC.

ciao
gr

ALT 1) you want to send the audio from your laptop to your PM6006 to hear it through your existing speakers ? The amp has a decent DAC but accepts only optical or coax inputs. Therefore you want a USB DAC

This is what I would like to do...apologies for not being clear enough...

Cheers

You can future proof your investment by investing in a USB to SPDIF converter. That option even if a bit expensive at the moment, will grow with your system. You will not have to worry about changing that component without changing the level of your system significantly.

I think this is what I am looking at too. Stay cheap. I have spent a lot this past year on a new TV, integrated amp, Rega TT etc.

To clarify, I am getting either one of these for no cost. Both are owned by a cousin and he is upgrading. So I get to pick either the fiio e10k or the fiio e18. The other goes to his friend. So I was looking for any opinions on the two Fiio options.

I was looking at the Schitt Modi 2 but then this option came up and I dont have to spend anything so was looking for opinions on the two options based on their DAC chips (understand the tech stuff)

Cheers!

I think this is what I am looking at too. Stay cheap. I have spent a lot this past year on a new TV, integrated amp, Rega TT etc.

To clarify, I am getting either one of these for no cost. Both are owned by a cousin and he is upgrading. So I get to pick either the fiio e10k or the fiio e18. The other goes to his friend. So I was looking for any opinions on the two Fiio options.

I was looking at the Schitt Modi 2 but then this option came up and I dont have to spend anything so was looking for opinions on the two options based on their DAC chips (understand the tech stuff)

Cheers!

Take the E18, the e18 also comes with a Stereo to coax cable so you can plug it in to the PM 6006 coax port as well. its much better than the e10k

heres a video on how to use it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Wjs_grio8

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back