Question on Norge amplifiers packaging

Teja

(Note: I searched but didn't find a relevant thread, hence creating a new topic. Please move/merge if required.)

I purchased the Norge 1000 Concerto Gold amp and received the shipment today from Norge (Eastern Electronics, Mumbai). Just unpacked it and have a few questions on the packaging.

• The amp was packed in a plain brown box with "Norge 1000" scribbled on it with a felt marker. No Norge labeling or branding on it.
  • There is no user manual or warranty card or any sort of paper in the packaging other than the invoice receipt.
  • There is no serial number or date of manufacturing or any such indicator on the amp other than the Norge sticker at the back.
  • The amp has a white (brushed Al) face-plate with black lettering and is wrapped in a clear plastic bag with a piece of tape to keep it closed. This is different from the unit I saw at Vector's (Hyderabad) which was shrink-wrapped and had a black face-plate with gold lettering.
I can understand the face-plate being different color but otherwise, is this how Norge amps are sold & shipped?
Is this normal or should I be concerned? Would appreciate if some Norge users shared their purchase experience.

I haven't set up the amp yet, no time today. Will test it tomorrow.

Thanks,
Teja

Yes Teja, this is how Norge Operates. No fancy packing, labeling, user manual, serial no.

As for the white al face plate, yeah its the uncommon version, most of the Norge Amps are with the Black Face Plate.

The only concern you should have is that the amp not powering ON & playing your music. Other than that your A OK!!!

Now, pls enjoy your music :)

Yes Teja, this is how Norge Operates. No fancy packing, labeling, user manual, serial no.

As for the white al face plate, yeah its the uncommon version, most of the Norge Amps are with the Black Face Plate.

The only concern you should have is that the amp not powering ON & playing your music. Other than that your A OK!!!

Now, pls enjoy your music :)
Thank you for the reassurance - I feel relieved :D
I did a quick hook-up and tested the amp (couldn't contain myself). It worked fine.

Post some pics , may be owners can compare with their amps and boxes.
Yep, posting pics of the box & packaging in case someone stumbles onto this thread in future.

norge_box_01.jpg

norge_box_02.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty sure the courier guys are disappointed after opening the package thinking 1000 gold :rolleyes::licklips: .

Some pics of the amp fresh out of the box. If you look closely you can see some small scratches and smudges on the face-plate. Not nice to find on a new item.

norge_1000a.jpg

norge_1000b.jpg

norge_1000c.jpg

norge_1000d.jpg

So, Mr. Bajaj is slowly acting on the feedbacks ...... many of us here had urged him to consider using brushed aluminium face-plate, just like the vintage Pioneer amps.

You are one lucky guy, Teja .... by getting hold of a feedback-enhanced model ... :)

Still, more needs to be done. The knobs / switches continue to remain the same. They also need to be done with solid aluminium with burring on the sides.

Teja, glad to hear your 1000 is alive & kicking :) Yes, there are many short comings on aspects you & others here have highlighted. But, what can you expect from the set-up @ Norge & its pricing? Mr. Bajaj is doing this practically all by himself, with him nearing the '80s age wise. I truly admire his spirit & will to continue at his age.

If you overlook all the aspects that you've highlighted & concentrate on how the amp performs, I'm sure you will not be disappointed. Yes, if all the brushed aluminium knobs & other quality kit is part of the amp, Mr. Bajaj will hike the prices & then who wins??? No one will then even consider buying a Norge !

Regards

Last edited:
my 2060 had a similar packing... and it also had some 'wavcor' packing material for some extra punch:eek:hyeah:

I would have been surprised if the things mentioned by you were actually seen.... The 'factory' is of 15' x 20' room and the assembly line has about 6 tables... thats where Norge comes from. All stages are manual. So if the assembler did not handle the equipment carefully, it can get scratched easily. But nothing to worry, enjoy your new amp..

Pretty sure the courier guys are disappointed after opening the package thinking 1000 gold :rolleyes::licklips: .
:lol:

So, Mr. Bajaj is slowly acting on the feedbacks ...... many of us here had urged him to consider using brushed aluminium face-plate, just like the vintage Pioneer amps.

You are one lucky guy, Teja .... by getting hold of a feedback-enhanced model ... :)
Yes, the Al face plate looks nicer than black, but I wish it was a tad better finished. No worries, I am gonna get some polishing compound one of these days and have a go at it.

The 'factory' is of 15' x 20' room and the assembly line has about 6 tables... thats where Norge comes from. All stages are manual. So if the assembler did not handle the equipment carefully, it can get scratched easily. But nothing to worry, enjoy your new amp..
Wow, I knew Norge was a small one-man operation, but didn't realize it was so bare bones. RESPECT for Mr. Bajaj for his dedication & perseverance.

Teja, glad to hear your 1000 is alive & kicking :) Yes, there are many short comings on aspects you & others here have highlighted. But, what can you expect from the set-up @ Norge & its pricing? Mr. Bajaj is doing this practically all by himself, with him nearing the '80s age wise. I truly admire his spirit & will to continue at his age.

If you overlook all the aspects that you've highlighted & concentrate on how the amp performs, I'm sure you will not be disappointed. Yes, if all the brushed aluminium knobs & other quality kit is part of the amp, Mr. Bajaj will hike the prices & then who wins??? No one will then even consider buying a Norge !

Regards
I was aware of Norge's finish, but didn't expect the box & packaging to be so.... plain. I guess I expected some branding & labels. Anyhooo, my doubts are cleared and I am happy with the amp. It pairs up nicely with MS Carnival 6 floor standers I picked up recently.

Thanks everyone for sharing information about Norge & Mr.Bajaj. I am sure we will appreciate the amp and enjoy the music.

Cheers :thumbsup:

:lol:

Yes, the Al face plate looks nicer than black, but I wish it was a tad better finished. No worries, I am gonna get some polishing compound one of these days and have a go at it.

Wow, I knew Norge was a small one-man operation, but didn't realize it was so bare bones. RESPECT for Mr. Bajaj for his dedication & perseverance.

I was aware of Norge's finish, but didn't expect the box & packaging to be so.... plain. I guess I expected some branding & labels. Anyhooo, my doubts are cleared and I am happy with the amp. It pairs up nicely with MS Carnival 6 floor standers I picked up recently.

Thanks everyone for sharing information about Norge & Mr.Bajaj. I am sure we will appreciate the amp and enjoy the music.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Cost-cutting man cost-cutting everywhere. He doesnt even use a IEC cable connector for the AC cord. No proper labels either. Even T-series stopped using those cheap stickers 2 decades back. Yeah, the packing is very characteristic of Norge products, involves scrounging for every paisa on overheads. The sound is but like a consolation prize, thats all. At this price, the amps are no longer VFM, IMHO.
Check whether the headphone out and line out are working.
Also make sure you press the selector switches snappily and fully as these have a tendency to stick halfway, causing current leakage from the unused source.
Enjoy your amp but do give it about 60-70 hrs to start shining.

Regards

He doesnt even use a IEC cable connector for the AC cord.
Yes, I was surprised that it just has a wire with a 2-pin plug and no IEC connector for AC supply. Even the tiny Topping TP-20 came with a proper C14 (PC-type) inlet.

It didn't bother me much till I connected my old Sony MD player (yeah, a pre-mp3 era dinosaur) to the AUX port. The MD player gives a very mild shock (tingly sensation) when connected to the Norge. I am guessing this is because of lack of proper grounding for the circuit.

The problem is noticed only with the MD player, doesn't happen with the Norcent DVD player or Sandisk Sansa MP3 player when connected to the same AUX port. But that could be because the MD player is mostly metal, while the Sansa is all plastic and the DVD player has good separation between the outer cabinet & internal circuit.

Any ideas how to overcome this issue. Or maybe it is time to retire the MD player.

Thanks
Teja

Absolute respect for the man, Mr. Bajaj but honestly, the build quality is absolutely shocking for the price...allright, the arguments is what goes on the inside is what counts but by comparision, this unit looks like its manufactured by a small scale industry like Harman Radio Corporation (HRC) in Delhi. I wonder how i'd be able to put a unit like this on my rack...for the price, one could be better off with a pre-owned NAD.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back