Question to mods - Issue of humor in posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
..........your walking stick should end where my nose begins.......

actually murali_n -

the quote goes like this -

' the independence to swing your walking stick (anyway you like) should end where my nose begins, because i am afraid you might hit my nose' (Satya Sai Baba)

(full excerpt below)

"Then, what is svatantra, independence? You have to remember in this context one important point. True, you have independence. But, there is a limit. Your independence should not come in the way of the independence of others. So you have independence up to the point that it does not affect the independence of others. A small example: One gentleman on a fine morning started his stroll, waving his walking stick and swinging it freely. After some time a man passing that way pointed out, "Do not swing your walking stick like that!" Then, this man said, "Why not? I have independence and can move my walking stick in any way I like." But, the other said, "Sir, it is true. But your independence to swing your walking stick ends where my nose begins to appear because while swinging your walking stick, I am afraid, you might hit my nose." This is the limitation of your independence."

regds

Last edited:
it should be obvious to a thinking person that threads (and subjects) that descend into meaningless drivel (within a few posts) were driven in that direction with a purpose (the purpose being - to end meaningless debate about that which is obvious)

otherwise, the driveling person would be shot down without mercy.

Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing. :thumbsup:

What a fabulous quote! Where did it come from?

@Thad E Ginathom-

that was, of course, the subject of venkatcr's pm to you about the issue-

but,

it should be obvious to a thinking person that threads (and subjects) that descend into meaningless drivel (within a few posts) were driven in that direction with a purpose (the purpose being - to end meaningless debate about that which is obvious)

otherwise, the driveling person would be shot down without mercy.
Without quoting the correspondence with Vekatcr, let me state my personal opinion.

Whatever may or may not be true of any other threads, I thought that humour was particularly appropriate to my thread on cables. I enjoyed your contribution too.

I have contributed many thousands of drivel posts to several other forums. I would say, however, that it was not always inappropriate ;). It can be a pain to moderators, though: I know, because I've done that too.

A few years ago, we might have been laughing at the idea of green ink on CDs. It had its serious advocates. What will, in a few more years, have passed into the realms of forgotten madness? We should be able to laugh at anything. If it should survive the joke, and turn out to be real, then nothing is lost.

Humour has no place in any serious society.

Micheal Clarke has no place in Australian team any more, since his batting has become worse than a joke.

Rakhi's shows are off, since they are such a tragic joke on common man.

No more discussions on 2G and JPC, since they are such a joke on honest Indians.

Manmohan Singh should not be our PM, since his personal honesty is such a joke among the Shivji Ki Baraat.

And my wife says looking over my shoulder; whats the big fuss about humour in hifivision, when the whole hi fi thing itself is such a joke.

I think your wife is quite right!

On reflection over the lifetime of this thread, I think we should have more humour, not less. If a serious topic cannot survive an onslaught of fun, then it cannot have been that serious.

Forum moderation is a delicate (and thankless) business. Even rules about stuff like personal abuse, which look simple, are not always black and white when it comes to real life. Forum moderation is a tough job. Been there, got the t-shirt and the baseball cap (actually, all I got was a mug!) and I'll never do it again.

Sometimes, keeping a thread on topic and to the point is part of moderation, although it is also something than any forum member can contribute to. If anyone doesn't like the way a thread is going, then bring it back to topic yourself!

On reflection, no, I don't agree with the deletion of the specific posts that gave rise to this thread. I think that they were pertinent and apt and completely appropriate.

That, for what its worth, is my view, at least on this instance.

Now I'm off to paint my CDs green and listen to them in my oxygen-free room.

Now I'm off to paint my CDs green and listen to them in my oxygen-free room.

Just make sure that you use the manufacturer-advised compatible CDs with your system else it starts spewing out oxygen, hence ruining your cables :lol:

If a serious topic cannot survive an onslaught of fun, then it cannot have been that serious

and Robert Burns - would have had fun - had he lived in this forum!!:lol:

"O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!
It wad frae monie a blunder free us
An foolish notion:
What airs in dress an gait wad lea'es us,
An ev'n devotion!":)

but this thread is meandering - here, one is supposed to provide feedback - that has been done, but there is no response from other mods - why are they silent?
or is it that this feedback is not important? - and that summary deletions of (carefully) constructed posts are left to the devices of one moderator?-

perhaps the vision of HiFiVision is to have a forum where all the members are placid and meek? - is srajan meek? art dudley? - perhaps they are, and that is why their reviews are read by millions all over the world -

i have a thought in my mind - that thought is that there is NOT a platform where the likes and dislikes of one person should rule - and decide the direction this forum is going to take - and for (you) superhifivision - your commerce is at stake.

at the very least, I need to know that all the four moderators (venkatcr and three others) concurred with the recent actions taken - and also I need to know that all four concurred that i was reducing threads to meaningless drivel without cause- and, as a corollary - does one bigoted moderator have the potential to destroy the true (commercial) potential of this (HiFiVision) forum?

again - most of the deletions of (supposedly offensive) posts in the recent past has been the handiwork of one moderator - why is that?

because i cannot live my life in limbo -

i know venkatcr's mind - but what do the other mods have to say about this?

oops! Catch 22?

Last edited:
and Robert Burns - would have had fun - had he lived in this forum!!:lol:

"O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!
It wad frae monie a blunder free us
An foolish notion:
What airs in dress an gait wad lea'es us,
An ev'n devotion!":)

but this thread is meandering - here, one is supposed to provide feedback - that has been done, but there is no response from other mods - why are they silent?
or is it that this feedback is not important? - and that summary deletions of (carefully) constructed posts are left to the devices of one moderator?-

perhaps the vision of HiFiVision is to have a forum where all the members are placid and meek? - is srajan meek? art dudley? - perhaps they are, and that is why their reviews are read by millions all over the world -

i have a thought in my mind - that thought is that there is NOT a platform where the likes and dislikes of one person should rule - and decide the direction this forum is going to take - and for (you) superhifivision - your commerce is at stake.

at the very least, I need to know that all the four moderators (venkatcr and three others) concurred with the recent actions taken - and also I need to know that all four concurred that i was reducing threads to meaningless drivel without cause-

again - most of the deletions of (supposedly offensive) posts in the recent past has been the handiwork of one moderator - why is that?

because i cannot live my life in limbo -

i know venkatcr's mind - but what do the other mods have to say about this?

oops! Catch 22?

To be honest - venkatcr deleting the posts didn't bother me as much as other folks who complained about it. He is a mod and whether you like it or not he has to take into account feedback from multiple folks. I am just saddened a bit that other folks are taking themselves so seriously in this forum (and maybe offline?) that humour doesn't have a place in it.

To be honest - venkatcr deleting the posts didn't bother me as much as other folks who complained about it. He is a mod and whether you like it or not he has to take into account feedback from multiple folks. I am just saddened a bit that other folks are taking themselves so seriously in this forum (and maybe offline?) that humour doesn't have a place in it.

the only feedback that venkatcr got (re that thread) was from the negative circuits in his personal brain -

and not from the (virtual) members of this forum - and not from other moderators -

that (those deletions) was (an uncalled-for) "on-the -spur" decision - based on visions of "seriousness and superiority"

if i am mistaken about this - that feedback (from other folks on this forum) could be posted openly - and that would be instructive about the direction this forum wants to walk down

OMG!! no no no - this cannot be happening! -

venkatcr cannot post said feedback because he deleted those PMs as soon as he read them - and they disgusted him - because they did not fit in the (strong) fabric of the cloth (egyptian cotton) that makes up HiFivision!!

and yes - if the joke (venkatcr) survives - the seriousness (suri) will die (honorable death):)

(sorry that it had to end this way {george})

Last edited:
Suri has been banned because of his unruly behavior. For the record Suri had been warned several times in the past.

I am not against any humour in the threads or posts. But not at the expense of another individual member.

I request all members to strictly observe the forum rules during their presence here in this forum.

The moderators are here to moderate the forum and as a member you have to respect a moderators decision. I will not tolerate any discussions or posts that criticize or belittle any individual moderator or member for that fact.

I hope this matter will not be repeated ever again by any other individual member.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back