Question to mods - Issue of humor in posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vardu

I had a post that was edited due to presence of humorous content and my take is that it should have been removed anyway because it was a bad attempt at trying to be funny rather than actually being funny . :lol:.

Apparently many members had complained about there being many posts (by different posters) that tended to be more silly than actually contributing to that thread.

I understand that each forum has its own set of written and implied rules and either you abide or you get out - no one is forcing you to be there.

I enjoy participating in this forum and would like to continue doing so.

Having said that I would like to ask - Are we taking ourselves too seriously?

Why is it that humor is such a terrible thing to be included in posts in a thread. I understand if it is risque/offensive and that is a no-no to a lot of folks but otherwise treat it like that particular tattoo parlor on the boardwalk that you avoid and continue to window shop the others.

Very often humor helps to set that sense of hyperbole which elucidates the issue and drives home the point. It would be a very stodgy place if such expressions (which are harmless) are curbed because it can be shown only in a particular thread/sub forum.

It happens in all forums that a few threads often become targets for jokes and if folks don't like it , they avoid it and a similar thread is created without too much external noise. This small amount of redundancy allows the members to impart a flavor to the forum.

This is an appeal to all members to consider and give a great deal of latitude when it comes to funny appeals :)

humour sometimes has dual meanings and can heart people sentiments..may be one of the reason mods try to restrict ..

humour sometimes has dual meanings and can heart people sentiments..may be one of the reason mods try to restrict ..

We are all (for the most time anyway :) ) adults who know the difference between harmless silly funny stuff and pejorative and hurtful double meanings.

It should be a given that we shouldn't crack jokes at others' expense but what about at ourselves?

Surely we are not that stuffy that we can't tolerate humor for the sake of humor.:lol:

Of course we must have humour.

On the other hand, I can admit that, given half a chance, I can turn a thread on almost any subject into meaningless drivel within a few posts :eek: :cool:

Of course we must have humour.

On the other hand, I can admit that, given half a chance, I can turn a thread on almost any subject into meaningless drivel within a few posts :eek: :cool:

There are various levels between meaningless drivel and humorous repartes - the point... oh well never mind.

Never thought that there would be a need to be arguing for the tolerance if not advocacy of appropriate humor in posts on an internet forum.

Vadu, everything has it's place.

The basic essence of HFV is knowledge dissemination about AV. We live in a complex society where we have people from 26 or more different languages and culture trying to cohabit together. The sensibilities of people are different and tolerance levels are different. It is best to play safe and not offend anybody.

If you had seen the HFV of a few years ago, you would understand where we have come. If we allow ourselves some laxity, you will have obscene jokes, innuendos, and direct insults being thrown everyday.

We will always enjoy productive humour and even participate in it. But when a post is offensive and insulting and tends to hijack a thread of it's main purpose, we will put our foot down. We think a lot before we act. Most of the time, we receive a lot of complaints (PMs) from OP and other members about these so called humour.

If you have noticed, many others and I have also joked many times in many threads. Most of the times, these jokes are mild and in direct relationship to the topic under discussion. We let the main topic come back into force and will certainly not hijack the thread.

As you said there are levels of humour and their acceptability. Someone has to decide what that level of acceptability is. Unfortunately that onus falls on us.

As I have said elsewhere, there is a permanent thread for humour. You can joke away as much as you want there, as long as the rules are followed.

We want HFV to go a long way. Our dream is to make HFV the de-facto standard for everything related to AV. With new products being offered, we also want many manufacturers and dealers participating so that all of us benefit from information and product availability. We want to be the first to review new products. We want our reviews to be read by millions and used as a standard for design and purchase.

We cannot and will not allow meaningless drivel to push us away from this objective.

Cheers

..........your walking stick should end where my nose begins.......

Vadu, everything has it's place.

The basic essence of HFV is knowledge dissemination about AV. We live in a complex society where we have people from 26 or more different languages and culture trying to cohabit together. The sensibilities of people are different and tolerance levels are different. It is best to play safe and not offend anybody.

If you had seen the HFV of a few years ago, you would understand where we have come. If we allow ourselves some laxity, you will have obscene jokes, innuendos, and direct insults being thrown everyday.

We will always enjoy productive humour and even participate in it. But when a post is offensive and insulting and tends to hijack a thread of it's main purpose, we will put our foot down. We think a lot before we act. Most of the time, we receive a lot of complaints (PMs) from OP and other members about these so called humour.

If you have noticed, many others and I have also joked many times in many threads. Most of the times, these jokes are mild and in direct relationship to the topic under discussion. We let the main topic come back into force and will certainly not hijack the thread.

As you said there are levels of humour and their acceptability. Someone has to decide what that level of acceptability is. Unfortunately that onus falls on us.

As I have said elsewhere, there is a permanent thread for humour. You can joke away as much as you want there, as long as the rules are followed.

We want HFV to go a long way. Our dream is to make HFV the de-facto standard for everything related to AV. With new products being offered, we also want many manufacturers and dealers participating so that all of us benefit from information and product availability. We want to be the first to review new products. We want our reviews to be read by millions and used as a standard for design and purchase.

We cannot and will not allow meaningless drivel to push us away from this objective.

Cheers

Hello Venkat,

My apologies for the drivel. Let it be known though that I have no ulterior motives in my posts. I was a bit surprised to see that you have deleted the one where I acknowledged the contributions of the members for enhancing my knowledge in HDMI Cables. :eek: :lol:

I would request you to consider allowing a bit of humor occasionally as that is what I would think would make HiFiVision a community rather than just a place where people post questions and get answers.

Your efforts towards keeping the Forum clean is appreciated. :)

Regards,

Sunil

Last edited:
I do think there are some areas of our subject which deserve to be laughed at, and that the instance which gave rise to this thread is one of them --- but where one draws the line is utterly subjective. It depends entirely on one's point of view.

going-around-in-circles.png

We live in a complex society where we have people from 26 or more different languages and culture trying to cohabit together.
This is something that would be interesting to see. In full HD :D
I for one would DEFINITELY NOT want to "cohabit" with ANYONE on the forum. But I guess - to each his/her own :D

Humor, jokes, pokes are all permissible as long they are non-offensive. The tough part is deciding what is permissible.

I have been on this forum for a while and it is a safe place :) I re-visit some of my posts and question "was that needed for me to write?". We just need to be a bit mindful of words. It is not what you meant to say but how it might be perceived.

Think we all agree to that, don't we?

"A joke is a very serious thing."
- Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited:
It is best to play safe and not offend anybody.

Most of the time, we receive a lot of complaints (PMs) from OP and other members about these so called humour.

We let the main topic come back into force and will certainly not hijack the thread.

Hi venkatcr -

perhaps it is time i got serious-

i have selected parts of your`reply to "vadu" for analysis-

1. it is a thought in my mind that you take offense easily - and take yourself too seriously -

To play safe and not offend you- would mean that the poster should bury his (id, ego and superego) identity and pay obeisance to your diktat - that is clearly not acceptable to sentient humans -

When almost all the posters on the thread are unanimous that good money should not be spent on digital connecting cables - you choose to go off on a tangent saying that you would spend more money than necessary on branded cables because they result in "less artifarts and more fullsome blacks"(BTW - the correct spelling is 'fulsome')
that comment deserves to be put down (and it was) - but you cannot accept it.

2. I will bet my last transducer that Thad did not complain to you about my frivolous humor - you took it upon yourself to speak for others- (and mind you - Thad was the OP for that thread)

3. and about meaningless drivel - perhaps you should stop posting about what you have no knowledge of. (and perhaps, ask for assistance and direction - instead of trying to pretend that you are omniscient)

regards

and perhaps the other mods (MBR and superhifivision) should let us know their thoughts about the hegemony that venkatcr is planning?- ("We cannot and will not allow meaningless drivel to push us away from this objective")

and the objective? -
We want to be the first to review new products. We want our reviews to be read by millions and used as a standard for design and purchase.
(WE WANT TO RULE THE WORLD = HITLER)

best of luck venkatcr - but you sound like an .....

Last edited:
If u ppls want something without any diversions u will really get bored , first be urself correct ,how much u gave to take a licence ,how much u gave when u got caught to police?
No men is perfect in this world , all them who r perfect are of two types , 1) didn't got chance to make mistake.
2)didn't got caught yet....
Even rama suspected sita...

@Thad E Ginathom-

that was, of course, the subject of venkatcr's pm to you about the issue-

but,

it should be obvious to a thinking person that threads (and subjects) that descend into meaningless drivel (within a few posts) were driven in that direction with a purpose (the purpose being - to end meaningless debate about that which is obvious)

otherwise, the driveling person would be shot down without mercy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back