Questions about speakers (MA, Dali, MS, B&W) and all-in-ones (Arcam Solo)

Grama

Hi,

I have a few questions as I plan to get a new music-only system (speakers + receiver/cd player).

(1) I am leaning towards floorstanding speakers, primarily for aesthetic and convenience reasons. However, there will be only 1.5 to 2 feet space between the speakers and the back-side wall. Is this too little for floorstanders? Am I better off using standmount speakers in this case? The room itself is big enough, more than 20ft x 15ft, and is not a concern. I also never listen to music very loud (usually I use no more than 30% of the volume dial) so that is not a concern either.

(2) I have currently shortlisted Monitor Audio RX6, Dali Ikon 6, B&W 684, and Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6 and plan to audition them. Any thoughts on these appreciated. In particular, if any of these don't work well when placed close to a wall, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

If there are standmount speakers in the same price range (including stands) that sound better and are worth listening to, please let me know. (I am looking for speakers that are available in Bangalore.)

Is B&W 684 available in Bangalore? Where?

(3) As for the receiver and cd player: I am very much tempted by all-in-one solutions due to their convenience and simplicity. Currently, I have only found one all-in-one solution Arcam Solo (and its new verion Solo Neo that has been announced) that fits my budget. Naim Uniti sounds very attractive, but is this available in India? Even if it is available, it is somewhat on the expensive side.

How would Arcam Solo (or Naim Uniti, if available in India) work with the above speakers? Am I compromising too much by going for a combined unit? Would I do better with a separate cd player and separate integrated receiver?

(d) I anticipate that I will end up putting all my music on a hard disk in the future and would like to be able to play off from it (preferably wirelessly from a NAS device). This is another reason I am attracted by Arcam Solo Neo (and Naim Uniti).

Any thoughts/suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Rama
p.s. This is my first posting here, and I don't know if it is possible to post this thread in more than one forum, since it spans multiple topics. Or, does one split the posting into separate ones, though that seems strange, as we'd lose context.

I am leaning towards floorstanding speakers, primarily for aesthetic and convenience reasons. However, there will be only 1.5 to 2 feet space between the speakers and the back-side wall. Is this too little for floorstanders? Am I better off using standmount speakers in this case? The room itself is big enough, more than 20ft x 15ft, and is not a concern. I also never listen to music very loud (usually I use no more than 30% of the volume dial) so that is not a concern either.

Thats too little space between FS, minimum you need 6 feet between FS; can't you increase the distance between FS at all ?, i mean, your room size is quite big. If the answer is 'no' - yes, a BS, is the way to go, can also include a sub if this is the route you're taking.

I have currently shortlisted Monitor Audio RX6, Dali Ikon 6, B&W 684, and Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6 and plan to audition them. Any thoughts on these appreciated. In particular, if any of these don't work well when placed close to a wall, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

The RX6 and Mezzo 6 are rear ported, so will surely boom if kept closer to rear or side walls. No idea abou 684. But, the Ikon 6 is front ported, so can be kept closer to walls, have heard the 6 closer to walls, and they never boomed, so may be you can lean on 6 if it fits your bill.

How would Arcam Solo (or Naim Uniti, if available in India) work with the above speakers?

The Solo would really work well with the Ikon 6. I fear the Uniti is not available in India, AFAIK.

:)

Thats too little space between FS, minimum you need 6 feet between FS; can't you increase the distance between FS at all ?, i mean, your room size is quite big. If the answer is 'no' - yes, a BS, is the way to go, can also include a sub if this is the route you're taking.

Vinod, thanks for the useful feedback. One clarification: I was speaking about the distance between the speaker and the (backside) wall, not the distance between the two speakers. I can place the 2 speakers 6 feet apart from each other. But 6 feet between the speaker and the wall seems too much, so I am not sure if that is what you are referring to. (I certainly won't be able to do that, as that will put the speakers in the middle of the room.)

Hi Grama,

The distance between the speaker and the wall would depend on the speaker design viz sealed or ported; If ported, front or rear ported.

In general, speakers that you get in market are all ported. The ones with front port can be placed very close to the wall about 6" to 1' but the rear ported ones require some breathing space in the rear 1' 6" minimum.

Also, one should not place the speakers at the extreme corners of the room to avoid boomy bass.

Bookshelf speakers have excellent sound stage and a decent bass. Try Epos, they are very detailed and musical. The only catch is, to sound the best, they need proper stands.

The all in one solution like Arcam, well I have no idea.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back