Questions on speaker placement/actives/multiroom

jaiwant_alex

I have a budget stereo set up (RPI4-Marantz PM7000N-Wharfedale Diamond 11.2) and have been living in the same flat for quite some time. I recently moved into a different place where the house layout is different (and IMO, totally weird and annoying) and this has forced me to rethink where and how to place the amp and speakers. I would appreciate thoughts and advice from members

In the old flat, most of the family’s time was spent in the hall + dining area which was had a long rectangular room. This worked very well as the amp and speakers placed at one end managed to adequately fill the room (and also reach the adjoining kitchen). We spent many happy hours and the music was a constant feature while we were at home.

In the new flat the hall and dining areas are split up as shown in the picture. My amp and speakers are still packed up while we settle down so I have no idea what they sound like from any place in the house. Would like to have your views based on the plan below (measurements are in feet)

IMG_202310.jpg

My inital thoughts on this are that there is no way that a single system can do justice to both the dining and the hall. If this is true, the following possible solutions come to mind

- Two separate wired systems in hall and dining (I have a spare Norge amp and an RPI 3 and can set up something similar to my main system). In this case I would need new speakers and would like to explore speakers which would be an upgrade on my Wharfedale 11.2s. This approach could however run into a space constraint

-Existing system in hall and active speakers in the dining area – i find the pricing of the likes of Qacoustic M20 / ELAC Debut ConneX , but Im not convinced about Bluetooth for connectivity. Would like feedback from those who have used these models. Can these be used as DLNA renderers ?

-Existing system in hall and a pair of Denon Home 150 for the dining area. The key attraction of the Denon Home 150 is that they are Heos compatible. The Marantz PM 7000N has Heos with which I can add the Denon Home 150s in a multiroom setup. This would be a huge plus for convenience.

Depending on which path i chose my budget would start at around 45k (the price of M20/ConneX right now) and stretch upto 75k for bookshelves. I was waiting to move to a larger place and upgrade to floor-standers but the room size seems to have ruled it out for now.

Look forward to views/advice

Going by the drawing the walls makred 16.9, 13.4 and 14.4 all look good for placing the individual setups but only you are so far aware of where your furniture is and can best decide what fits where. Two seperate systems would be needed to enjoy music in both spaces, even though placed in one room the sound can be heard in the other aswell. The marantz and denon idea you have seems good for such an arrangement. It'll be best to start setting up the existing setup you have then see as to what is missing or how and where can you make placement possible for a second system.

- The longer distance is 13 feet
- The shorter distance - my bad, there is no wall there , the gap is the connecting doorway between the two rooms which has a sliding door
The layout is unlikely to be solved with one set of speakers. Multi room or as you mentioned, your alternate equipment will have to be utilised. I have the M20 s in my living room and they are good as here the music is usually in the background with conversations in focus. I found them slightly better than the Klipsch R-51PMs that I also have. I would suggest that you take the help of ( or do yourself) a person well versed with room correction eq or similar software to set it up. ( Depending on your listening routine)

Thanks - what is your source & chain while using the M20s ?
My other rooms
Dedicated audio/TV room - The streamer Is RPi with 7' display and a Pi2AES hat which converts the usb output to a coaxial SPDIF fed to a Macintosh MHT 300 feeding Magnepan LRSs.
Bedroom - The streamer is once again a RPi ( awaiting a allo usb to Spdif hat) feeding a Denefrips Ares 12th anniversary feeding an Arylic BP50 preamp feeding a pair of Genelec 8030s
Living room - Chromecast audio feeding a Topping e50 feeding the M20 s.
All rooms playing Roon - core on a intel Nuc with 2 five TB HDDs attached

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back