Questions regarding WD/Seagate Media Player

TapasDas1980

Hi Guys,

Its really amazing to be part of this forum. I was a complete dumb before I came across this site. After going through most of the threads, you guys really helped me to decide that I must go for a media player than a DVD/BD player, considering I download high definition movies a lot.

Now after going through a thread where there was some issues with Xstreamer support in India, I am bit scared. So decided to go for WD. I dont want any netwroking,Wifi or youtube in my player so thought for going after WD Media player only, instead of WD Live.

I am not sure where to buy in Bangalore. Found below mentioned link.
eBay India: WESTERN DIGITAL MEDIA PLAYER WD TV HD MEDIA PLAYER HDMI (item 180555955514 end time 07-Sep-2010 14:04:04 IST)

I never used ebay earlier to shop anything. Should I go for it? They are actually giving it at around 7K. Is there anyway, I can get it in lesser price in local market here in Bangalore?

Can the product be upgraded later for future file types?

I have few M2TS, MKV files. All of them are more than 7GB in size. Can WD Media player be able to play those files?

Also which one is better between WD media player and HDX Bone?

Looking for your support guys...

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I dont want any netwroking,Wifi or youtube in my player so thought for going after WD Media player only, instead of WD Live.

Better to go for WD Live, since sometime in the future you might want networking/wifi and then you might be stuck. Better to invest 1-2K extra now rather than repent later. Also future firmware upgrades - to play additional file types - will be better for the WDTV Live.

I never used ebay earlier to shop anything. Should I go for it? They are actually giving it at around 7K. Is there anyway, I can get it in lesser price in local market here in Bangalore?

In my experience eBay is quite safe.

Can the product be upgraded later for future file types?

Yes, all media players come with frequent firmware updates to include more file types/functionality.

I have few M2TS, MKV files. All of them are more than 7GB in size. Can WD Media player be able to play those files?

Yes.

Also which one is better between WD media player and HDX Bone?

I don't think HDX Bone has been discussed much in this forum, so have no idea. On the other hand most people report good service/update support for WDTV.

Do you already have an external hard disk you can use for the WDTV? If not you would have to buy one, since you do not want to network the player to your computer. As I said before, it is better to go for the Live since then you are future-proof.

Since you are in Bangalore it might make more sense to buy the PlayOn HD media player, since the India dealer/service support is based there. You can also install a HD inside the Playon, unlike a WDTV, where you will have to connect an external HDD to WDTV via USB. You can join the group buy for Playon and get a discount.

Not many people have bought the Seagate on this forum, so not much idea about that one.

I think the best option for you is the WDTV Live + external Hard Disk.

I purchased WD TV Live, and its a killer device. Plays almost every format i have. And yes, for 1 k extra go for live, as the firmware support is also better in this.

I did a lot of research before buying my WDTV Live box and its lived up to its reputation as a solid product. Just close your eyes and buy it.

Thank you guys for your reply.

Between Playon and WD Live player, which one would be better? Where can I get it locally in Bangalore.

Yes. I have 500Gb external HD and planning to get a 1/2 TB in near future.

The reason I don't want wifi/netconnect, because I would not use wirless at all to connect any device and watching youtube in my LCD is not something I want. I prefer to use my LCD just to watch HD movies and TV channels only.

Thanks again.

One advantage of Playon over WDTV is that you can put an internal HDD inside it. But since you already have a external HDD, it's not important. Playon India is based in bangalore, Mr Ranga Prasad's no will be there in the Playon Owner's thread, I think. But better to join the group buy and get a discount. Your future buy 2TB HDD will also fit inside the Playon.

About networking, it's not just about watching youtube. And you don't even need wifi! WDTV Live has a LAN connect option also, you just run a ethernet cable from your PC (where you download movies) to the player and share content. You don't have to insert a your HD into computer, transfer file, take it out, insert into WD, and then watch it... EVERY TIME!! With networking, you just drag and drop your movie file and it's ready to watch on your TV. Also you can play a movie file that is on your PC on your media player, and vice versa, via video streaming.

Last edited:
So it seems WD Live is better option.:)

Now my last question.

From where I should buy this in Bangalore? SP Road in Bangalore or shall I get it from eBay.in? Which one would be cheaper and can be trusted?

Since you have the option it is better to go to a shop, see and hold the product, maybe test it at the shop itself and then bring it home. In case of any problems the piece can be changed then and there. With eBay, in the unlikely event of damaged product/missing component etc you have to go thru the hassle of shipping back and forth, wating for it to arrive, and so on...

If there is a authorised shop nearby which sells it, better buy from there, even if it is a few hundred bucks more than the eBay price.

Even I thought Live is not required, but later realised there is no big difference in pricing, so I opted for WD TV live. I had purchased it last week from ebay.in
(LISTING) (SELLER)

You can contact Deven Goshar (Tel - 22053254, email - [email protected]) if you have queries. I used ebay voucher to get some discount. If you are a vodofone customer you can get a good discount. See the threads in Hot Deals section.

Personally I am very satisfied with product and the shipping. It reached me in good condition.

But if it is convenient for you, then you MUST visit the market and purchase it. Nothing better than physical shopping.

Yesterday I went to SP road and to my surprise there is not a single WD media player product. Only at one place, I saw Asus media player. The seller asked for 5850 for that. But the product was not box packed.

Is it fine to purchase any item which is not sealed?

I am bit afraid to get items from SP Road, although they offer the best price in city...

I think you should go for the AC Ryan POHD. Ther's a group buy happening for 10k with wireless dongle and all cables. Good deal on a good product.

why not spend more and buy xtreamer? I am doubtful whther WD TV live plays DTS HD-MA ?

My budget does not allow me to for that Hemant. Thanks anyway. I am waiting to check WD/ Asus at my friends place. I mean two diff friends have them. So I am planning to check them out with my own downloaded BD ripped version movies. I am looking for best quality available at the cheapest price. And I am not particularly willing to invest anything for Wifi, Net capability. I just need a player which can play all high definition movies and can send high quality audio to AVR which I am yet to get. Now a days I am giving dry run to multiple AVR/Speaker set up. :)

Hi All,
I managed to get a Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ (FAT+)from Staples, Bangalore.
Before buying my FAT+ I read almost all the blogs available and even went to the SP Road in Bangalore. All shops (Ankit Infotech, Golcha Compurters etc.) on SP road were quoting very high (5200 + 13% VAT) ~6000/-. I also went to Staples and purchased it for 4800/- :clapping:

I would recommend all buyer of FAT+ or WD Live Plus to visit Staples atleast once to get the right price.

My configuration:
Synology NAS DS110j
Seagate FreeAgent Theater+
Old CRC TV

So I am planning to check them out with my own downloaded BD ripped version movies. I am looking for best quality available at the cheapest price. I just need a player which can play all high definition movies and can send high quality audio to AVR which I am yet to get. Now a days I am giving dry run to multiple AVR/Speaker set up. :)

Most movies available on the Net is of the AVI or MKV formats. Most media players will have no issues with these. In addition, as part of the conversion, most MKVs will have HD Audio down mixed to Dolby or DTS. Again all media players will have not issue with this.

The trouble starts when you start playing HD based copy of Blu-Ray or an ISO version of a Blu-Ray disc. Both would need you to carry a HD, as you are looking at a minimum 25GB size.

Cheers

I purchased WD TV Live, and its a killer device. Plays almost every format i have. And yes, for 1 k extra go for live, as the firmware support is also better in this.

Have you tried component output on CRT TV with this. I am considering WD TV Live. But it does not play PAL on component. Although it is not a must for me, but still getting component working will be great.

Appreciate if you could answer.

Thanks in advance

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back