Quicksilver

Since 1981 Mike Sanders has been producing well made, dependable and great sounding tube electronics. In a word, Quicksilver products epitomize the term value. The company’s designs are simple, reliable and well executed. Mr. Sanders believes in the value of point to point wiring, eschewing circuit boards in favor of more robust junctions between component parts. The quality of each and every part of the design is chosen with the intended task in mind, and is selected for its sonic contribution to the goal. You won’t see advertisements for Quicksilver products in audio magazines. Mike believes that if you offer a quality product, reputation will spread by word of mouth. This cost savings allows Quicksilver to use top quality parts, and labor intensive hand construction, while keeping their prices low. We think you’ll find Quicksilver designs to offer a unique blend of sonic strengths, excellent reliability and superb value.” - Galen Carol

Respect!

All the best Prem! I have always heard good things about Quicksilver amps. Very excited that it is finally coming into a known system :).

Think the Mid monoblocks I currently own are the ones from Sid. I am driving Cadence avitas with them and it just sounds beautiful. Haven't heard the VA 1 pairing with Avitas so this is the best so far for me

I believe srinisundar sold to you right ? He was driving his Thiels with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
You do know what "wood" is slang for, right? :p
And there aren't that many normal use cases for "wood" out there. Of course, if one wanted to be really creative...

Keith, arj prefers the softer wood;)

Lets just say that I am very firm and straight on what I could and would with wood.

And I am being upfront about it.

I know sidvee has sold to Srinisundar, since i have heard the system at srinisundar house. Know how he struggled to match the thiels. Only the mid mono could drive it easily at last..

The Quicksilver arrived two weeks back. I have about 25 hrs on them. Still need 50 hrs more for the bass to open up.

The amp is showing a lot of promise and am happy with the purchase.

It’s a fairly neutral sounding amp with decent resolution.

To put things in perspective, almost all the amps in my consideration list will definitely be more resolving and more extended than the Quicksilver. But I was in search of a very natural sound with full tonal range and depth. Hence Quicksilver. It’s not an amp that will score high on hifi attributes like staging, imaging:)

I agree Sidvee. They are VFM products. But I am not sure they will work well with modern speakers. I think Mike himself uses Klipschhorn and JBL horns for his personal listening. Also Greg Timber, the man behind all the legendary JBL designs, uses Quicksilver for his personal listening.

Glad to know you also share my taste in presentation prem :)

If i toe in my speakers the imaging locks into place. But then I find the instruments coming from different parts of the room to be very uncanny. And above all it is distracting and never let's me relax. So I much prefer my speakers facing straight ahead to present me a wall of sound,, I can sink into :)

Glad to know you also share my taste in presentation prem :)

If i toe in my speakers the imaging locks into place. But then I find the instruments coming from different parts of the room to be very uncanny. And above all it is distracting and never let's me relax. So I much prefer my speakers facing straight ahead to present me a wall of sound,, I can sink into :)

So many times I have experimented with toeing in my speakers (to varying degrees from a couple of degrees to full blown pointing to listening position) to always return to zero toe in straight ahead position. Yes, some amount of toe in (too much will cram the soundstage with instruments overlapping each other) definitely leads to a feeling of better imaging (carefully using the word ‘feeling’) because the central channel, which is where usually the main singer is, becomes prominent and rises up in soundstage. But if you then listen to busier music with multiple instruments across the sound stage, you realise that it comes at the cost of imaging of the instruments on the side.

I have since concluded that the enhanced imaging upon toe in is only an illusory feeling which may serve those who primarily listen to vocal music. But others who listen to Jazz, Rock, Fusion, Western Classical. New Hindi films will find it unbalanced.

And clearly there are two types of listeners. One, who focus on lyrics and the other who go for the overall feel. (I can correlate it with personality types). I belong to the latter type. So for me, the overall presentation matters much more and I get that best only when the speakers are straight ahead with no toe in.

Now, I don’t know if this is speaker specific (some say it is) but till I am convinced otherwise I shall assume it is true of all speakers.

Note: There are other reasons why some toe in. For example to compensate for imbalanced speaker position (different distances from side wall) or reflections from one side etc. But those are special situations which rather be remedied by room arrangement/conditioning/even DSP (if one is inclined that way) than through asymmetrical speaker placement.

Last edited by a moderator:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back