rare LP vinyl record..........

check the pic no. 2 of this link
lp

Yep, there were certain LP's that would track in reverse!

Would be interesting to see and hear it play!

Come to think of it, the arm has no lateral movement control of it's own. It is controlled by the tracks in the album. So if the record is stamped the other way, as long as you place the needle properly, I am sure it will move outwards when playing.

Interesting, though I don't see any value whatsoever. If you are not careful, you could actually place the arm in the outer edge and it could fall off the record. Ouch!!

Cheers

From wikipedia :
Almost all analog disc recordings were recorded at constant angular speed, resulting in a decreasing linear speed toward the disc center. The result was increased "end-groove distortion" toward the center of the disc, particularly on loud passages. Since classical music tends to start quietly and mount to a loud climax, it was frequently[citation needed] suggested that it would be better if recordings were made to play from the center of the disk outward. A few such recordings were made, but the domination of record changers, and the fact that symphony movements are not uniformly twenty minutes long, made these recordings no more than curiosities. In the late 1920s and early 1930s some movie studios experimented with records as an alternative method for recording film sound. Most of these records "played from the inside out" as this supposedly made it easier to synchronize the sound on the record with the pictures on the film. Nevertheless synchronization difficulties meant that "sound on film" techniques (using optical or magnetic soundtracks) were more commercially successful despite inferior sound quality. A famous scene in MGM's Singin' in the Rain depicts this.

Come to think of it, the arm has no lateral movement control of it's own. It is controlled by the tracks in the album. So if the record is stamped the other way, as long as you place the needle properly, I am sure it will move outwards when playing.

Interesting, though I don't see any value whatsoever. If you are not careful, you could actually place the arm in the outer edge and it could fall off the record. Ouch!!

Cheers

And sometimes that ouch can be very very costly! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Auto-returning arms sense the distance from the center and return back to start after crossing a certain radius. How is this going to work in this case? It may become quite tricky to start at the "end".

Auto-returning arms sense the distance from the center and return back to start after crossing a certain radius. How is this going to work in this case? It may become quite tricky to start at the "end".
Mostly auto returning arm are made to switch on auto returning function just little ahead of locked groove at the end of the record. There is enough distance between end of the record song and locked groove, so as arm does not return.

Last edited:

Cheers
And sometimes that ouch can be very very costly! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Rather than falling from edge, won't it be looped back at outer edge only? So it won't fall done but high linear speed will wear out the stylus tip faster compared to inner loop.

HERE GOES THE PICTURE OF A MAGICAL RECORD I have - LSD by pink

SIDE-A "This Side Starts At Inner Groove" . Meaning, yes, Side A will play inside (near the label) to outside.

Meanwhile Side B [ "This Side Plays Twice"]uses parallel grooves, meaning there are actually two tracks within each other

Wondering if the auto-return will wok on such inside-out disks.
The mechanism usually works by detecting the wider spaced grooves
at the end of the record, which will nudge a trip pawl/lever.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back