Re: AVR to go with PSB speakers

I guess the good old Yamaha AVR was delivering some amount of phantom power.....if the Yamaha could sustain performance to Ghost Riders satisfaction, am sure the Marantz will do wonders.....now it is upto him

I'm curious to know how did you manage with your current receiver. That yam AVR looks like it is way lesser power than what the T5's need.

Hi Shaq,

Yes, my current AVR is not feeding much power but thats what i initially invested in speakers + sub + plasma and kept the old avr running, now with new upgrades HDMI-DTSX coming its time for new AVR ...so hunting

I guess the good old Yamaha AVR was delivering some amount of phantom power.....if the Yamaha could sustain performance to Ghost Riders satisfaction, am sure the Marantz will do wonders.....now it is upto him

Hi efe,

Though am happy with current Yam RX-450 with power what is been feed to speakers but as told earlier i had invested all in speakers, sub and plasma so now time for new AVR and i would prefer new rather than pre-owned, if have to save and wait then its fine so now am getting ready to stretch a bit ;-)

Cheers

Thanks to all for their inputs and wishing all a very prosperous new year.

Have checked for Marantz and dont see much difference in power between 5010 and 6010, after that 7010 will be out of budget,

For Denon x2200w is lower in power when compared with SR5010 with my current setup, room size i feel something like SR5010 will be sufficient for me.

x2200w - Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive)-125 W
SR5010 - Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive)-140 W

Now compare to this 2 i also checked Yamaha 679 which looks low in power and new sound formats missing and have been using Yamaha from past 5-6 yrs so wanna change.

So now my take is between Denon x2200w & Marantz 5010,
does anyone has good pricing source for these models & one step higher, pricing apart from Alfa and Fairdeal

Cheers..

@Ghostrider
Power rating at 1Khz is a useless number. No source is a single frequency, except for a test tone.
Look for 20Hz - 20Khz number. This is the full audio range.
Unfortunately, most modern AVR manufacturers always specify 2CH driven, when you have 5/7 channels on the AVR.
As far as power is concerned, there is a direct relationship between speaker sensitivity and dB level.
PSBs are pretty efficient speakers
T5/C5 - 88/90 dB (anechoic chamber/listening room)
B4 - 85/87 dB

Assume you will settle on listening level of 96-99 dB (loud enough not to give you a headache).
T5/C5 need 8-16W of power
B4 need 16-32W of power
Pretty low, isn't it. A power output with 50W is sufficient headroom even with transients.
You also have a sub to take over LFE duty.

Denon and Marantz are very capable AVRs with a wide range of products.
SR5010 is 100Wpc (20-20K range)
X2200 is 95Wpc (20-20K range)

If your listening area is small/medium (less than 200 sft), also consider Marantz NR1605/1606.
Similar features to SR5010, but 50Wpc, smaller profile and definitely cheaper.
With the savings on AVR cost, you can probably buy/upgrade other components; BDP for video or DAC for digital audio.

I have a NR1605 and am very satisfied with its performance.
The one crib I have against Denon and Marantz: their user interface is very slow.

Cheers,
Raghu

except for very high end AVR's, most of them specify power spec at 1 Khz, avoid them like a plague. At the very least, AVR's that have power spec at 20-20khz with 2 channels driven is relatively better even though we would want them to specify it with all channels driven

Hi,

As i will be using 5.1 channels as of now and for next couple of years, what if i go with x2200 and power up front using bi-amp mode ? will there be any other issue ? how exactly bi-amp works and what needs to be done.

Thanks all

Hi

Would suggest you download the x2200 manual and check the bi amp capability....the 7.1 and 7.2 AVRs of Marantz have this capability.....I understand that the Marantz 5010 costs between 65 - 67k....given that the built quality is better and nothing happens to AVRs if used in the intended way....you could look at buying the same at a grey rate which would be within 60k or more less......I would do that......the warranty is only one year and honestly nothing really happens...atleast USA gives 3 years which makes senses there.....the choice is yours....

Hi

NAD, Rotel, Anthem are big brands which cost a lot but perform better...Marantz is globally compared alongside them providing almost the same quality performance and yet a bit cheaper....

NADs T757 was a hit model......and there would be some other flagship models...depending on your budget.....go audition and decide what appeals to you in performance, appearance and please trust your ears and carry your music to make an informed choice....

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back