Re Squeezebox RIP?

And, of course, a PC can always access internet radio --- and there is an add in to send to the squeezebox whatever your pc is "playing." I don't think I ever got that one to work on my Linux machine, but no problem with Windows.

And what about the application which squeezebox.com or server running on PC provides like..Spotify,Pandora,tune in,Lie365,Shoutbox etc...?

Looks like time to do it ourselves...

I am not at all sure where the legal rights line is drawn. I think that the Squeezserver software is open source, but the receiver software (firmware) is not.

On the other hand, I have squeezeplayer software for my android phone, so it either is available, or someone has done a very good job of emulating it. I have no idea if that program is open source. If it is, then surely what is available for Android must be reasonably easy to port to Linux? Anyway, a network player is surely not a very tough thing to throw together? How about native processing of FLAC. etc?

It is easy for those who are not developers to underestimate such things: correct me if necessary.

In my imagination is forming up the picture of a box containing one of the new tiny pc boards, eg Rasberry Pi, along with wireless-net hardware, and a high quality DAC. NwAvGuy's ODAC is open hardware and has a good reputation.

It should be within the budget of a squeezebox buyer and, of course, the DAC/analogue output should be at least as good. I know little/nothing of the actual hardware/software challenges involved: is my idea feasible?

Last edited:
Well, I do not own a touch , so perhaps I am not very well qualified to make the statement , but will Google Nexus 7 player come close to it. They do say that it has audiophile grade amplifier inside.

Call me a sad old cynic, but can I believe in "audiophile-grade amplifier" in something the size/cost of a phone? Most of us do not accept that the sound-card chip on a PC motherboard is good enough.

Portable devices can be good indeed --- but how good? Good enough for a quick listen, or good enough for long-term use. Plugging the headphones into my phone (it's a Defy+: I'm sure some other phones may have better sound) yields surprisingly good results, but not so good that I would use it instead of my ancient Cowon portable, and not so good that I would want to connect it up to my amplifier.

Future development may change all this, but I'm still cynical because mobile-phone development is always going to be aimed at the mass market --- and the mass market listens to highly-compressed MP3s.

Where my phone wins is that it is actually better than the fancy remote control of the Squeezebox Duet. It makes a better, easier to use remote control, and a perfectly fine Squeezeplayer to take to bed with the earbuds. That works, of course, without any Logitech hardware!

We need DIYers here!

My bet on tomorrow's non-Logitech "squeezebox" would be something like squeezeplug, running on Rasberry Pi, with wifi and a USB DAC.

Links ... Links ... Links

The phone or tablet fits in as the perfect remote control

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back