Reasonable prices for 70's Speakers

greenhorn

I'm looking for a set of Japanese (pioneer, kenwood etc) floorstanders with 8" woofers. I do see a lot of ads pop up, but typically most folks are asking 8-10K or so. I've heard a bunch of them, and most of them sound rather ordinary. In my opinion, other than some exceptions like AR or the HPM series from pioneer, most of their mid range speakers in the 70's sound pretty mediocre, and anyway worse than what my bookshelf/sub combo sounds right now.

I saw a set of Pioneer CS 305's for 4K yesterday, but half the drivers on them were not working. I've seen other Stuff, but mostly with cone tweeters, still going for exorbitant prices. I'm just looking for something to complement my vintage setup - sound quality is not a major concern.

What do you suppose is a good price to pay. Conversely, what is the value that the market sees in them that I am not?

I've seen reasonable priced vintage cassette decks for 1K to 5K , Amps for 5 to 8K, Turntables for 3K to 8k.

Are my expectations unreasonable ?

I'm looking for a set of Japanese (pioneer, kenwood etc) floorstanders with 8" woofers. I do see a lot of ads pop up, but typically most folks are asking 8-10K or so. I've heard a bunch of them, and most of them sound rather ordinary. In my opinion, other than some exceptions like AR or the HPM series from pioneer, most of their mid range speakers in the 70's sound pretty mediocre, and anyway worse than what my bookshelf/sub combo sounds right now.

I saw a set of Pioneer CS 305's for 4K yesterday, but half the drivers on them were not working. I've seen other Stuff, but mostly with cone tweeters, still going for exorbitant prices. I'm just looking for something to complement my vintage setup - sound quality is not a major concern.

What do you suppose is a good price to pay. Conversely, what is the value that the market sees in them that I am not?

I've seen reasonable priced vintage cassette decks for 1K to 5K , Amps for 5 to 8K, Turntables for 3K to 8k.

Are my expectations unreasonable ?

Most of the speakers from the mid to late 1970s and eighties were more or less compact speakers even if they had 12inch low frequency drivers in them. This is especially true with the acoustic suspension models. Many enthusiasts these days used them as "Giant" book-shelf speakers like hemanth rightly referred to. They were good but I would say that a lot of the more contemporary ones are better investing in but this is my personal opinion.

I am a fan of these old Japanese Floor standers. I have quite a few of them. A huge Sansui and recently acquired Pioneer CS-99A which is an excellent 5 way speaker with horn tweeter and sensitivity of 97db. Many of them which may not have been used for long period of time may need change in caps and to be played for long hours for improvement. When paired with matching amps, they are good to listen especially for analogue music..

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back