Recapping of Accuphase c200 Mk2 Pre Amplifier.

Lazer25

Hi! Friends,
Recently I recapped my Accuphase C200 mk2 pre amplifier with the help of a technician .But the sound signature is little changed.I feel its low and high frequency is not working like earlier.Can anyone suggest is it due to new capacitors or something else?

which capacitor and solder lead did you use? Allow few hours for the caps to burn in. Also each brand of caps has a different flavour and that will have an impact on the sound.
cheers

which capacitor and solder lead did you use? Allow few hours for the caps to burn in. Also each brand of caps has a different flavour and that will have an impact on the sound.
cheers
The technician used keltrone caps with silver solder.Ok I will play it continuously to see the final impact.
Thanks

The technician used keltrone caps with silver solder.Ok I will play it continuously to see the final impact.
Thanks
Keltron capacitors are not the best . You should try vishay , nichicon , Rubycon ,nichicon etc

I have found this website good but they are a little pricey. They do have the nichicon caps kit for your preamp. Whenever I used to work with high power NAD integrateds and poweramps, I used to order caps from them. One suggestion, if you want to use their service, please check with them if power supply filter caps are included before placing the order. For some models, especially power amplifiers, the filter caps usually have to be purchased separately.

On a personal note, Keltron caps are very good. They are extremely good with ESR values and capacitance, compared to most brands out there. I would use them if I was to recap most generic equipment (the Sonys, Akais, Technics, Pioneers, etc). However for brands like Accuphase, it is good to go in for higher quality caps (yes, I have a prejudiced mindset in this regard :) ).

Last edited:
I have found this website good but they are a little pricey. They do have the nichicon caps kit for your preamp. Whenever I used to work with high power NAD integrateds and poweramps, I used to order caps from them. One suggestion, if you want to use their service, please check with them if power supply filter caps are included before placing the order. For some models, especially power amplifiers, the filter caps usually have to be purchased separately.

On a personal note, Keltron caps are very good. They are extremely good with ESR values and capacitance, compared to most brands out there. I would use them if I was to recap most generic equipment (the Sonys, Akais, Technics, Pioneers, etc). However for brands like Accuphase, it is good to go in for higher quality caps (yes, I have a prejudiced mindset in this regard :) ).
Yes I am agree with you.please share the link of website from where I can get the required caps .
Thanks

Yes I am agree with you.please share the link of website from where I can get the required caps .
Thanks
the website which I used: nichicon caps kit
If you look carefully, you can purchase them locally in India from reliable dealers. As I did not have experience with India dealers and as I was a little nervous because of fakes. I got this reference from a friend on a different forum.

Ok .I will try to arrange the caps as you suggested .
Thanks
Pls ask the tech if the pcb will survive another cap change.

If you changed power supply caps, assuming you put in the right values, i would let the keltron be there for now. Hope no caps in the signal path were changed.

Btw what was the reason to recap ?

Pls ask the tech if the pcb will survive another cap change.

If you changed power supply caps, assuming you put in the right values, i would let the keltron be there for now. Hope no caps in the signal path were changed.

Btw what was the reason to recap ?
I checked all.The technician changed the caps in signal path.The all power caps are original(Elna).
May be due to changed caps in the signal path I am getting significant change in is sound character.I compare it with my another Old Mac Mc2155 power and c28 pre amplifier. The Mac gives little higher separation in upper frequency as well low is good.should I continue it for sometimes or ask the tech to change the signals path capacitors?

I checked all.The technician changed the caps in signal path.The all power caps are original(Elna).
May be due to changed caps in the signal path I am getting significant change in is sound character.I compare it with my another Old Mac Mc2155 power and c28 pre amplifier. The Mac gives little higher separation in upper frequency as well low is good.should I continue it for sometimes or ask the tech to change the signals path capacitors?
You should not touch signal caps at all unless they are blown.
What blows my mind is he has put electrolytic caps in the signal path of a preamp ? What kind of caps did he take out ? And why ?

What brand were the original capacitors and their rated tolerance ?

Keltrons are excellent capacitors, highly reliable with good ESR ratings too. They have been approved by some OEM Japanese manufacturers as well. @Hari Iyer please share your own experience here.

The issue could be with tolerance of capacitors. Are you sure only electrolytic capacitors were changed and no film caps were substituted ?
Yes only electrolyric capacitors are changed.The tech advised to change on of the resistor which was not available to him during recapping. I will continue to play it to see changes with time.Let me check if any more change is done by the tech. .

I once "upgraded" the electrolytic crossover cap in my ar28b speaker to a film, and the character of the speaker changed completely. It went from warm and smooth to bright and harsh. Aging caps in the signal path will probably tend to make it warm and smooth as well, which may be what you're missing.

I once "upgraded" the electrolytic crossover cap in my ar28b speaker to a film, and the character of the speaker changed completely. It went from warm and smooth to bright and harsh. Aging caps in the signal path will probably tend to make it warm and smooth as well, which may be what you're missing.
Isnt that another hornets nest…..
Using electrolytics in speaker x-overs…..

Isnt that another hornets nest…..
Using electrolytics in speaker x-overs…..
The electrolytics were stock. I replaced them with Sprague film caps FB_IMG_1656516236916.jpg
On another note, i replaced every electrolytic in an old Technics tape deck with a keltron just for fun and noticed no difference. The technics had all Japanese branded (mostly nichicon and Nippon chemicon ) caps
FB_IMG_1656516479883.jpg

Genuine Keltron electrolytics are good. Unfortunately there are fakes in the market so caveat emptor.

Genuine Keltron electrolytics are good. Unfortunately there are fakes in the market so caveat emptor.
There was a Indian brand called Websen which made caps under tech collaboration with Rubycon.
I found them 5 years ago at a shop at lamington road but not anymore. Nice caps. So yes maybe keltron may have a collaboration with another global cap manufacturer.

On the subject of fake keltron caps, didnt know about that. Wouldnt faking keltron be expensive ?

The electrolytics were stock. I replaced them with Sprague film caps View attachment 70375
On another note, i replaced every electrolytic in an old Technics tape deck with a keltron just for fun and noticed no difference. The technics had all Japanese branded (mostly nichicon and Nippon chemicon ) caps
View attachment 70376
Thats whai I call “time pass” 😂.

Just kidding

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back