Receiver displays amo err and shutdown

hrishi8587

I have a Pioneer VSX D811S which I bought a couple of years ago from OLX. I started to add speakers one by one and 2 months back I had 5.0 speaker system comprising two pairs of Dali zensor 3 and zensor vokal. I had a great experience as it was my first ht setup which I wanted to have since many years.
But unfortunately the receiver since yesterday is shutting down automatically after the the display shows amp error. I live in Mysore and there is no one here who repair AVR. So I have mailed htstire in Bangalore and waiting for their reply.
But I am confused should I really spend money in getting it repaired or should I replace the AVR.
I have a plan to buy a Marantz AVR in future probably next year due to financial problem.
My question is it worth getting it repaired?
I wouldn't mind spending upto 10k for its repair if it can be used for at least another two years as I am quite satisfied with the AVR and I can postpone my idea to buy a new AVR for a couple of years

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Have you checked wire's in the back? Try to find out what amo err error means.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

Hi hrishi8587

One of my friends faced the similar error when using a 524 model....it got bricked up....micro circuit issue....not worth repairing as the entire board had to be changed etc...

Most of the AVRs we have today are very sensitive....this error could be due to a number of reasons...like power surge which can fry some parts of the mother board....open speaker wires at the rear of the avr which can be touching each other or the bare body of the avr....etc. etc.

First immediate solution is to disconnect all sources and even speakers from the avr...

Then plug the AVR to the electrical point and try to do a reset...refer to your operating manual that will show you....you will also find a lot of YouTube videos which shows what you need to do.....

It is a pain sticking task and will get a bit frustrating....but keep trying....if you are successful...you are lucky....

If the AVR comes on normally then ensure you connect your speakers one by one and sources very very carefully (with the AVR off as guided in the manual) ..check all wires for any leaks or broken ends which can cause the issue again....usually the poor spring connectors on the avr are too small which bares sometimes the wires...

If you are not successful then you will need to get it repaired....examine the estimate cost....you may be better off buying a new AVR (if you have the budget) or buying a second hand one for now for use till you get ample budget...

Google will also provide some answers...thats what i tried for my friend....he ended up selling his BRICKED Pioneer AVR for spare parts to a repairer...purchased a Denon X520BT

I would suggest you to check the separate forums we have for Pioneer (like we have for Yamaha, Marantz, Taga etc) which owners have created...i am sure they will provide some more ideas...

in my 15+ years of using various systems....Marantz is built like a tank and has a good protection circuit...happy user of this brand for 6+ years now....

All the best

I removed all the speaker's and input connections and tried to on but it was of no use.
I opened the cabinet and couldn't find any signs of capacitor bursting. Circuit seemed to be fine to look.
The fan wasn't running when I switched on the receiver.
My doubt is will the fan run only when it is heated or should it run when AVR is powered on? As far as my knowledge it should run all the time when the device is on as in CPU and in projector
If my thought is right I will try to replace the fan. Since I don't have anyone in my city who repairs AVR I have to spend extra money to courier it to Bangalore to get it inspected so

Hi

In some AVRs the fan works continuously ...in some...it comes on only when there is a spike in volume and heat....

I would suggest before sending it off....take a couple of days and check google and youtube videos...you can find something for sure....patience is a virtue....

I have been into same situation (having non-working AVR) many times before. Here is the lessons learnt,

1. Do not take it to service center (unless it is under warranty) immediately because internet is full of information which would help us to understand the cause of failure to some extent.
  2. Open the unit and check for physical damage (if any) like, loose connection, traces of fire (burnt boards) etc. If fine,
  3. Remove dust from the unit. I use paint brush (soft bristle) which I bough from local hardware store. Buy 2 different sizes and ensure you cover all areas of the unit.
  4. Download the service manual of the model from internet (I would say, this is key). There are quite a lot of places in internet where you can download the service manual for free. Use the manual to reset the unit. If not working still,
  5. You can check (debug) the issue part by part. For example, in my Marantz, design is like (Power plug -> Power Trans -> Main board -> Amp board -> to Main board (post amplification) -> Output board-> Speakers) . When I power-on the unit, system goes to Stand-by mode. As part of testing, I unplugged Main board -> Amp board cable/cord, system stays power on:clapping:, when plugged, Stand-by again:sad:. so we could well say, the amp board is the culprit

Similar to above, you can test the unit (based on your exp. in electronics) and you shall use this space where we have plenty of gurus.

Trust me, most of the service centers are here to make big money so invest your time before hitting service centers.

I opened the cabinet and cleaned the dust not thoroughly though. But the problem related. I didn't touch the AVR for two days.
Today I accidentally found a wire touching the circuit behind the receiver display. The wire was good and not skinned. I just removed the that wire touching the circuit and fortunately the AVR has started to work.

Thanks for ur suggestions.

I opened the cabinet and cleaned the dust not thoroughly though. But the problem related. I didn't touch the AVR for two days.
Today I accidentally found a wire touching the circuit behind the receiver display. The wire was good and not skinned. I just removed the that wire touching the circuit and fortunately the AVR has started to work.

Thanks for ur suggestions.

Good to hear that AVR is back to working. You saved minimum 1.5k rupees by not taking service center route and doing by yourself.

Enjoy.

Good to hear that AVR is back to working. You saved minimum 1.5k rupees by not taking service center route and doing by yourself.

Enjoy.
Yes I guess I saved even more as I had to carry it to Bangalore from my place.[emoji4]

@eferand1

It is a fact that Mumbai too faces power surges at times ? Do you use any stabilizers like the Vanguard or APC. I too had faced the power issues, but can't say confidently. Usually the service guys attribute to "power supply problem"

Hi

I live in south mumbai...no power surges....i use a normal spike guard....

if you feed the set top box hdmi to the avr then there is a risk of electric current coming through the cable tv wire and fry the hdmi board.....

So...i feed the set top box hdmi to TV...given a optical out from the TV to AVR...no loss of 5.1 signal.....

@eferand1

It is a fact that Mumbai too faces power surges at times ? Do you use any stabilizers like the Vanguard or APC. I too had faced the power issues, but can't say confidently. Usually the service guys attribute to "power supply problem"
If u have ups at your home then no need of stabilizer

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back