Receiver or Amplifier????

imgene

Hi,

I have been following the threads for last few months and was most certain to buy the Onkyo HTS-3400. However, as always it happens I stumbled upon few threads which have had a tailspin effect on my decisions and confused me....

So, what are my needs?

1) I love music..., need to have clarity any day instead of bang-o-bang noise.

2) Oh, but I also love Movies..., especially the surround and powerful sounds like we had in The Dark Knight and Transformers 2 - Revenge of the fallen....

So, what I have understood so far...

1) Is that If I need to go for good music, I should go for a good Int. Amp (Norge 2060 seems to be a very popular choice) + speakers (Wharfedale or Mordaunt Short).

2) Is that If I need to move in for good sound from movies, then onkyo HTS3400 is a good choice.

Now, my queries are as follows:

(Pls remember I have a limited budget here....35k max)

1) Should I buy an Integrated Amp + 5.1 or 5 speaker system for the time being and later buy a good A/V receiver later on. Will I be able to connect the Amp to the A/V receiver?

2) Do you recommend getting something like Cambridge DVD99 along with an Integrated Amp + Speakers, is it a better option than to get an A/V Receiver?

3) Is there some setup/configuration that can be recommended where one gets the best of both the worlds, music + movie (budget 35K max).

4) Any recommendations for a good speaker system 2/5 or 2.1/5.1 setting?

5) Any recommendation for a good Integrated Amplifier or should I blindly get the Norge, anything from Cambridge/Marantz, etc I should be looking at?

My ultimate goal is to have a complete setup in place where I can one day hook all of the toys (TV/DTH/DVD/CD/BLU-RAY) and get good quality audio from it in a decent budget.

Here are my few paisas....

1) I love music..., need to have clarity any day instead of bang-o-bang noise.
As you love your music (as I do), please don't kill it by compromising on your audio gears. Go for a good stereo setup by thoroughly auditioning each and every component. Believe me, going down the lane, there will be some imperfections which you will start noticing if you go for best of both of the worlds. I am telling you from my personal experience. You will be soon out in the market for upgrades. If you currently have budget or spouse constraints, wait for some more time before taking the plunge.
2) Oh, but I also love Movies..., especially the surround and powerful sounds like we had in The Dark Knight and Transformers 2 - Revenge of the fallen....
Enjoy your movies in the Multiplexes till the time you get yourself a full fledged HT setup. :eek:hyeah:
1) Is that If I need to go for good music, I should go for a good Int. Amp (Norge 2060 seems to be a very popular choice) + speakers (Wharfedale or Mordaunt Short).
Norge is a good amp and VFM. But in the long run, you will crave for something more.
1) Should I buy an Integrated Amp + 5.1 or 5 speaker system for the time being and later buy a good A/V receiver later on. Will I be able to connect the Amp to the A/V receiver?
My vote will be to start with good speakers and Integrated amplifier and then add the AVR and the surround speakers for completing the HT setup later, as and when your budget allows. Till then enjoy good music with your stereo system.

Apologies for confusing you even more. But I was there a few months ago and now I am out in the market again :mad:

Lets answer One by one

If A/V reciever you buy in Future has a Pre-out only then you will be to connect amp to reciever. Marantz 5005 and Yamaha 667 being the cheapest AVRs with Pre out.

2) Do you recommend getting something like Cambridge DVD99 along with an Integrated Amp + Speakers, is it a better option than to get an A/V Receiver?

A/V Receiver would be better option

3) Is there some setup/configuration that can be recommended where one gets the best of both the worlds, music + movie (budget 35K max).

Sorry no, But you can compromise with Onkyo 3400. There is no subsitute to a good 2 channel music system, Similar to buy for 5.1 would be 3 times costlier. Think like this say a 2 channel system is 10 K , so to build a similar system with same quality is 30K. This is my obervation Only and no scientific fact.

4) Any recommendations for a good speaker system 2/5 or 2.1/5.1 setting?

Lots, But first decide on 2.1 or 5.1 or even 2.

5) Any recommendation for a good Integrated Amplifier or should I blindly get the Norge, anything from Cambridge/Marantz, etc I should be looking at?

Lets answer above questions then get to this.

My ultimate goal is to have a complete setup in place where I can one day hook all of the toys (TV/DTH/DVD/CD/BLU-RAY) and get good quality audio from it in a decent budget.

Only A receiver will be able to help with this , A good Pre amp for all analog will be costlier and the sound would depend on analog out of Devices which would again be questionable.

I am from Delhi too and just bought a system, ask as many questions you want, i ll help you as much as I can.

35 K budget is just about ok to procure an AVR as well as an Integrated amp. The speakers would be extra.

Now, whats your scheme .... movies and music to be played in the same room or movies in one and music in another room?

Thanks All.

I think I will go for an Amp + Speaker combo right now. I tried out the Denon PMA510 and 710, it was worthless.

I also tried out the Yamaha Amp, it was good with 35k worth of speakers.

Now, I am planning to try out CA 350A later in the week or coming weekend.

Any suggestions for good speakers in 2.0 setup?

Since you are more into to music than movies (like me) nothing can be better than a simple 2.0 set up, though the room size will determine the necessity of a SUB, take suggestions, read carefully, think deeply and listen to all possible set up (its possible in Delhi)

1.Don't compromise when it comes to a few bucks
2. Set your preference ASAP, I really don't like two many features in a single unit

if you are a music lover and care for sound think of a
stereo receiver (MATRANTZ, CA, HARMAN KARDON....) + either book shelves (MONITOR AUDIO, WHARFEDALE, MS, POLK...) and a SUB (if required) or floor standers

On the other hand if you go for a AVR + speakers its probably going to stretch you

my personal opinion though......

Thanks AKD: I plan to do some more listening in coming weekend and then will be posting back. Do you or anyone else know where can I listen to Paradigm speakers in Delhi?

Hi All,

I went over and auditioned, the following:

- CA 550A with MS Aviano 1, Aviano 2 and Aviano 6 at C R Park.

The best of the lot were Aviano 2 and 6, I loved all the sounds coming out from both the pieces.

- Then I also went over to audition Klipsch and Polk Audio. We auditioned with Denon 700. I did not like Polk Audio speakers at all while the Klipsch speakers floored me, they were the Klipsch F30, very healthy sound end to end from L's to H's with Bass.

Now, It is the turn of Wharfedale's

Hi All,

Finally, I have been able to do some more rounds of auditioning, here is the feedback:

- CA 550A + MS Carnival 6 - This was a flop show for my ears, just did not understand what was coming out, all the sounds seemed jumbled.

- NAD C326BEE + PSB Alpha - Again the NAD was good, I think the amp was able to bring out much better of the Alpha series but really did not like it, I think it compares well to MS Aviano 1 series but then not my cup of tea.

- NAD C326BEE + PSB Image B6 - Very nice setup, the Image B6 compare well to the Aviano 2 series. The music was powerful, vocals were clear. However, I felt that there was some distortion at highs, which I did not feel for the Aviano.

- Onkyo 8255 + ELAC BS 53.2 - Amazing speakers, ELAC have been a discovery, I have not heard about them on the forum, the reviews on the net are scarce. Of what I have auditioned so far, they are probably the only ones to match the CA 550A + MS Aviano 2 setup in terms of vocals, and music quality.

I also did ELAC FS 58.2 with Onkyo 8255, which were simply superb, amazing. There has been no match for them so far including Klipsch, MS Aviano 6. They sound too good, everything is flat, and reproduced just the right way.

Now, my question is regarding the feedback on ELAC BS 53.2 speakers @ 20K, is this a good buy, any specific reviews for them. I am planning to pair them with CA 550A Amp.

Please advise.

Did you audition the ELAC at the Onkyo Showroom in C.R Park? If so, try convince the CA outlet to carry the amp over to the Onkyo outlet to get a feel of them together. I know, either of them might refuse.

Me thinks, you shan't get any reviews of this combination. ELAC is not being marketed suitably for people to sit up and take notice.

NB - Anything, 'Made in Germany' HAS to be great.

Yes, I auditioned the ELAC's at CR Park. I don't think the FX guys will let me do that.

Am also thinking of of pairing it with the Onkyo 508 AVR to see how it performs.

I believe you started with a 35K budget.Now I think with more auditions your sky is the limit.
What is the price of those Elac FLS pair?

Kittu, That seems to be a tough ask. because none of the onkyo guys stock either of them.

Am thinking on my next steps

Friends which AVR/AMP would match well with Focal 726V Speakers and the Polk RTi A9/A7. I have auditioned Focal 726V and RTi A7 with Denon 2311 and they sounded sweet

Please advise

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back