Receiver /Soundbar to hook up PS3 /Bluray

geko

Hi evryone
I live in mumbai..I currently own a PS3 and 40" Bravia LCD Full HDTV. The PS3 is connected to LCD by HDMI interface which I use to watch movies, play games,music etc. Dont wanna invest in a new player now.
Obviously I am unable to enjoy full 5.1 / 7.1 audio because of this.
The layout of the room does not permit me to install a 5.1 / 7.1 speaker system without doing some ugly external wiring.(wife wont allow that). So I am looking at the Soundbar alternative.

The options I see before me are

1) getting a HDMI to 7.1/5.1 decoder . something like
HDMI LPCM 7.1 5.1 Multi-Channel Audio Decoder With Amplifier
I dont know where to get this or similar piece of hardware?
Dont know whether the audio output of such hardware can be directly connected to speakers?

OR

getting a audio receiver with HDMi repeater and 5.1 processing
There are many but I want a decent cheap one . Must state that I am not a hardcore audiophile look most of you.

2) getting good quality cheap soundbar with 5.1 input and 5.1 virtual o/p
Croma / Ezone have Philips which are 25K onwards..Cant seem to find any other brand though I may not be looking at the right place.

OR

Worst case if no soundbar.. Then which speakers..

I have been trawling thru the net and thoroughly confused about the way to go.
is it possible to achieve this within 30,000?? can someone help please..

Got AVATAR on Blu-Ray ..drooll.. just cant enjoy the sound :(

Hey I think you still need the amp for your soundbar,though not 100% sure,i would recommend getting a new Avr and 2 front speakers or a Onkyo Htib in that range

I read that installing a 5.1 is not an option bcos of ugly wiring. Soundbar will not give u a 5.1 effect period. All are marketing gimmick. Its more of 2.1 with a cute look and feel.

Why dont you try Philips HTiBs with wireless speakers for surround? That way the wiring runs between the HTiB DVD and front speakers and between the two rear speakers. There is no wiring btw rear and front speakers.

Thanks for the info guys , but I have failed to mention another reason.
The layout of our hall is not the typical rectangular and the distance between the sitting area and the 40" tv is not more than 6 to 8 feet. I doubt even with a true 5.1 speaker set I would experience surround.

I checked out Philips HTS5120/51 (integrated dvd,divx etc) at Ezone recently. Around 25K. Though not true surround exp., it was quite good considering how noisy these places get.

Was unable to locate any of Samsungs though, as they seemed to be out of stock. They are cheaper, starting at 15k (without dvd) .

These have optical Input so I could probably hookup the ps3 to them directly.The PS3 has a Toslink but these have just optical input written so not sure of their compatibility though they look quite similar.

hi...I finally purchased Philips HTS5120 soundbar (Integrated dvd player /FM tuner/USB in /wireless receiver etc). Connected the HDMi Out to LCD and Optical out from PS3 to Optical in of soundbar.
I must say I am quite satisfied with O/P.. The virtual surround is not as good as the dedicated 5.1 but was expected.
The sound clarity is quite good though default Bass is a bit high. this can be reduced though.
Games (Uncharted 2, God of War,GTA 4 etc ) ..WoW!!!
Bluray (Avatar) sounds great too especially action sequences..
Got it from Ezone (Rs. 19,800) +optical cable(bainbridge Rs700).
Weird as Croma quoted around 24 K for the same thing..
Anyway m quite pleased with its O/P and enjoy it a lot..

frankly speaking, u have wasted 19k for nothing,its my view..............
if for a sound bar itself u say wow means i dono wat will u say if u come to hear 7.1 uncompressed hd audio.

Last edited:
Have you tried Harman Kardon SB 10 3.1 channel virtual 5.1 and if you add two speakers it will give you real 5.1 effect pricing @ 24999.00 INR on ::: JBL :::

I haven't tried this but looks interesting to me.

Hi evryone
I live in mumbai..I currently own a PS3 and 40" Bravia LCD Full HDTV. The PS3 is connected to LCD by HDMI interface which I use to watch movies, play games,music etc. Dont wanna invest in a new player now.
Obviously I am unable to enjoy full 5.1 / 7.1 audio because of this.
The layout of the room does not permit me to install a 5.1 / 7.1 speaker system without doing some ugly external wiring.(wife wont allow that). So I am looking at the Soundbar alternative.

The options I see before me are

1) getting a HDMI to 7.1/5.1 decoder . something like
HDMI LPCM 7.1 5.1 Multi-Channel Audio Decoder With Amplifier
I dont know where to get this or similar piece of hardware?
Dont know whether the audio output of such hardware can be directly connected to speakers?

OR

getting a audio receiver with HDMi repeater and 5.1 processing
There are many but I want a decent cheap one . Must state that I am not a hardcore audiophile look most of you.

2) getting good quality cheap soundbar with 5.1 input and 5.1 virtual o/p
Croma / Ezone have Philips which are 25K onwards..Cant seem to find any other brand though I may not be looking at the right place.

OR

Worst case if no soundbar.. Then which speakers..

I have been trawling thru the net and thoroughly confused about the way to go.
is it possible to achieve this within 30,000?? can someone help please..

Got AVATAR on Blu-Ray ..drooll.. just cant enjoy the sound :(

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back