Recommend a Dishwasher

sgmane

Hi Folks,

Its been a while iam searching for getting a dishwasher.

The primary reason been my mother is old enough and a patient, cannot put up with our maid who at most of the time finds silly reasons for not making it daily. (This dishwasher will be a huge relief for my age old parents).

I have gone through some reviews on the net. And i found the following of dishwasher:

Advantages:
* Hygenie
* Ease of use
* Freedom from erratic attedance of the maid (and the amount she charge for the quality of the work she does)

Disadvantages:
* Power bill shoots up
* Availability of detergants, salt, Rinse Aid and Freshner for dishwasher
* After Sales Service is a big question mark (for IFB, not sure of other brands)

(point 2, 3 of topic "disadvanatges" can be taken care after members comments).

I have a (some points) "buying guide" for dishwasher.
What to look at?
1. Adjustable tray
2. Hard water ready
3. Dry tap indicator
4. Cycle end beeper
5. Rat protection
6. Auto restart
7. Wash programmes (what number to look at 2, 3 or beyond?)
8. 3 Nozzle dish washer for the best output.
9. Solid food Disposal (We dont need to pre-rinse the vessels)
10. Self Cleaning
11. Water consumption - (How to look at machines which uses less water per wash cycle?)
12. Power consumption - (Should it be 60 degree or more? some say 60 degree is more than enough)
13. Delayed STart
14. Load Sensor (and Memory and Display)
15. Fuse (in built fuse to reduce the risk of shock and short circuits)

The above are some of them. If any of you have more on the list, do let me know.

Recent times i notice that IFB (was the best dishwasher earlier, based on reviews) has after sales service related problems. Seems now IFB had made it mandatory to get the detergants from them through customer care!
Other is the Electrolux - but not any reviews though!
Siemens tops in my list of probable dishwashers. (Model number is required)

Budget max 32k.

All the above are based on net reviews, and some paper ads. I am yet to see any dishwasher and its functions.

The product is to be bought in chennai. So any chennai dealers, after sales service centers etc? (If in bangalore, i can atleast have a look at it, and then order in chennai)

Any of you can throw some light, so that i can decide on what to buy?

Thanks

I have been using an IFB, dish washer since last 4 years, rarely with any problem. It is a mother of a product. It gives you dry and hot utensils once the cleaning cycle is through. :yahoo:

The detergents, salt, rinse aid etc, are easily available, i stock them for 6 months so that there is no running around, if any. I have taken a amc 2,000/- bucks a year, there is not much of a electricity bill. It is not mandatory to buy the cleaning aids from IFB, if you know some other source which is cheaper and better you can always go for it.

Vinay.

Not that I do any washing or even know how to, but we've been using an IFB for the last 4-5 years. I do believe (at least in Hyderabad) only IFB and LG are available now, but when we bought it last only IFB was available, but it's a great product and has worked without any problems till date.

One good brand which fits in your budget and needs is Indesit. It is being distributed by the Videocon Next showrooms (at least in Mumbai). It is compact, has all the features you have listed and, not very power hungry and the price is well within your figure. The installation service was prompt and so far we have had no complaints. You can use any detergent and cleaner with it; you're not forced to use same company brand.

I don't know who stocks it in Chennai. For detergents etc., Reliance stores have two soap brands which work with standard dishwashers. Again, I don't know the availability in Chennai.

This seems to be their India website: indesit

-Ajinkya.

I never envisioned writing about dishwashers on a hifi forum. Anyway here's my take on your original post.

I presume you are not expecting the DW to replace the maid. This is not possible as the DW cannot wash large utensils. I have found them to be best for plates, cups, saucers and small to medium utensils. Placement is key for a good wash.

With the above your expenses are increasing with the purchase since you need to sustain the maid as well. Also maybe this may not happen in your case but your parents shoudl be comfortable in loading it appropriately.

Dont go for food disposal units if possible as they tend to cause issues and attract mice and roaches. How hard is it to rinse the plates in plain water before loading? c'mon.

There is no such thing as self cleaning as all you need to do is rinse it without utensils for it to take care of itself.

Finally my prefernece is not go for hot washes as they tend to consume a lot of hot water (double whammy on costs). Better do a warm wash if thats an option. And not dry as that takes a lot of power too.

Hope this helps.

Not that I do any washing or even know how to, but we've been using an IFB for the last 4-5 years. I do believe (at least in Hyderabad) only IFB and LG are available now, but when we bought it last only IFB was available, but it's a great product and has worked without any problems till date.

Was actually about to buy this IFB brand diswasher but aborted the purchase cos we got a maid servant. One question i wanted to aks is does it really wash off our normal stainless steel and aluminium utensils? As a fellow hyderabadi you must be knowing about the state of our hyderabadi bagonas, kadais etc after biryani is cooked :) If it requires additional scrubbing then it is waste of money.

Was actually about to buy this IFB brand diswasher but aborted the purchase cos we got a maid servant. One question i wanted to aks is does it really wash off our normal stainless steel and aluminium utensils? As a fellow hyderabadi you must be knowing about the state of our hyderabadi bagonas, kadais etc after biryani is cooked :) If it requires additional scrubbing then it is waste of money.

My wife says it cleans everything and just about anything. Even after biryani is cooked. Will clean oil stains too. That's because it cleans with hot water at 55-60 degrees Centigrade. The only area you should watch out for is if soot is collected because the food got burnt. In this case better to soak it and scrape out the burnt food before using the machine. My wife's vote is for it, been using it now for some 7-8 years even at her mother's place before marriage without any issues.

First Thanks to all you folks.

@Vinay - can you let me know the model number? Some where on the net, i came across a rough calculation of apprx 1000rs per month. Is that so? How much you get (if you wash twice a day)? BTW, what is the wash cycle duration you use?

@GeorgeO - I shall also check the Kaff product. Any one using it, as you say its good!? (Model number?)

@moserw - Yes lot of guys did tell its good. But people like you had brought it couple of years back.So you folks would have been lucky, is what i should say!!! What about the recent newbies who had bad experience? (Well just from the net,i could see information about bad experience of IFB DW). Model number, that would help me too!

@ajinkya - Oh! That's another name, now that i see. So how long you have been using it? Thanks for the link and i find it does have some chennai contact details, which i shall check. BTW, what wash cycle duration you use? Model number, that would help me too!

@vj_box - i understand you would also have bought couple of years back same as moserw.

@marsilians - Well iam not sure if DW can replace maid. But folks here who are using it, i suppose they atleast would have replaced maid atleast on the dishwashing area! Folks here use the DW and i suppose it should wash reasonably all the vessels. The vessels used by a family of 4 or 6 may not contain big size utensils!

Are you using DW and finding it difficult to wash the big size utensils?

About Food disposal,Self Cleaning, hot washes - your points noted. Some net information (and observation later) gives tips on reducing power when using hot washes!!

Of all these, i could see some DW uses 35mins and some close to 90mins or so. So what is the standard wash cycle duration?

I never envisioned writing about dishwashers on a hifi forum.

You know, thats probably a sign that this forum has probably attained a critical mass of sorts. People trust other people in this forum - not in itself surprising when it comes to Hifi, but also when it comes to other things such as a dishwasher now! Not bad at all. Way to go.

You know, thats probably a sign that this forum has probably attained a critical mass of sorts. People trust other people in this forum - not in itself surprising when it comes to Hifi, but also when it comes to other things such as a dishwasher now! Not bad at all. Way to go.

Well said and that was my motivation to reply to the OP as well. Its all for the good as far as I can see as well. I may have to draw the line when it may come to clothing or beauty products though.

@marsilians - Well iam not sure if DW can replace maid. But folks here who are using it, i suppose they atleast would have replaced maid atleast on the dishwashing area! Folks here use the DW and i suppose it should wash reasonably all the vessels. The vessels used by a family of 4 or 6 may not contain big size utensils!

Are you using DW and finding it difficult to wash the big size utensils?

About Food disposal,Self Cleaning, hot washes - your points noted. Some net information (and observation later) gives tips on reducing power when using hot washes!!

We had a Haier for couple of years (forget the model no.) and it was OK. We have put it in our village home as a stand by. Currently we have been using the IFB Zephyr. Its worked well for us. We wanted something more rugged than all electronics controls as that was ht problem with the Haier. Some settings were pain to understand and they ciruitry was not very reliable.

When I meant big utensils, something that you use for cooking when guests are over or deep fry stuff (Bandli or Karahi or karai - similar to a wok). Unless you run a cycle with only a few of these, they cannot be washed properly. If this does not apply to you, then you are off for the better.

We currently use 45 mins cycle if its full load or a 30 min cycle for partial load or glassware.

In daily routine whatever are the utensils, i have been able to clean all of them with ease in dish washer. The placement is simple, keep the cooking utensils in the lower shelf.

The cost of machine and its cleaning ingredients and other expenses are high, it will be much higher then what we pay to the maid but for me it is worth it, no hassle of human contact, in this case what the machine can do a human can not do. Indeed many of them do not have the patience and related while handling the machine, and true senior citizens will find it more difficult to handle.

It is any day better to go for the machine which can hot clean and dry the utensils, it is like they being sterilized, the one's who can afford this machine, they would just not care about the little higher cost of the electricity and most importantly, if the utensils are wet, then we have to wipe them with the cloth. The idea is to do away completely the maid on this, and this is what the dish washer does, no need of a maid.

Vinay.

I never envisioned writing about dishwashers on a hifi forum. Anyway here's my take on your original post.

I presume you are not expecting the DW to replace the maid. This is not possible as the DW cannot wash large utensils. I have found them to be best for plates, cups, saucers and small to medium utensils. Placement is key for a good wash.

With the above your expenses are increasing with the purchase since you need to sustain the maid as well. Also maybe this may not happen in your case but your parents shoudl be comfortable in loading it appropriately.

Dont go for food disposal units if possible as they tend to cause issues and attract mice and roaches. How hard is it to rinse the plates in plain water before loading? c'mon.

There is no such thing as self cleaning as all you need to do is rinse it without utensils for it to take care of itself.

Finally my prefernece is not go for hot washes as they tend to consume a lot of hot water (double whammy on costs). Better do a warm wash if thats an option. And not dry as that takes a lot of power too.

Hope this helps.

Check out the models avialable with Seimens.
IFB no longer have the technical inputs from Bosch. Seimens products are primarily known to be energy efficient.

Allmost all refrigerators (230ltr) consumes around 470 units, while 200 ltr seimens(discontinued) model eats just 268 units. Recently bought godrej eon 230ltr, terrible power consuption. The elec bill nearly doubled.

I also bought seimens washing machine 23.5k. consumes half a unit for a 45min quick wash also amount of water used is less too. Main thing is input water should have required pressure.

All together I had influenced my friends and relative to buy seimens machines.

The IFB machines are not so good nowadays. The original build quality is no more with IFB. Avoid.

If you don't go by looks and features. Have a look at Siemens. They have excellent build quality, low noise energy efficient. They are very durable.

The model which i am using is neptune if i remember correctly, it was bought around 4 years ago. I agree the cost to use the machine is between 700/1,000/- bucks a month, my machine is use it twice in a day, at times i put it on in the night and close it in the morning. There are different cycles for the needs, very easy to choose from, most of the times i use cycle 5.

I would suggest go for only IFB or Siemens. Actually it is true that there are small problems with the IFB right now, but they are likely to get sorted out, the issues are small ones.

Vinay.

First Thanks to all you folks.

@Vinay - can you let me know the model number? Some where on the net, i came across a rough calculation of apprx 1000rs per month. Is that so? How much you get (if you wash twice a day)? BTW, what is the wash cycle duration you use?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back