Recommend a Graphics card up to 8K budget...

Maybe you can try out a solution in this order:

- Get DXVA to work - Update drivers; Try using MPC-HC or other SW; Update Mobo BIOS (details here)

- Get a new SMPS heavy one with low wattage like CM or FSP 350W.

- Finally get a decent CPU/Mobo upgrade if nothing works.

Maybe one more:
- Try to live without 47GB ISO's and be happy with 15GB rips !

Cheers!

Bang on humblebee. One thing is clear. Your graphics card is not doing the decoding and its being done by your cpu. Hence the lag. While the movie is being played, open movie setings and enable DXVA. CPU is more than capable. If ion based platforms can play HD well, so can this! Its all about the right settings

Maybe you can try out a solution in this order:

- Get DXVA to work - Update drivers; Try using MPC-HC or other SW; Update Mobo BIOS (details here)

- Get a new SMPS heavy one with low wattage like CM or FSP 350W.

- Finally get a decent CPU/Mobo upgrade if nothing works.

Maybe one more:
- Try to live without 47GB ISO's and be happy with 15GB rips !

Cheers!

DXVA was enabled on the XBMC video settings menu since the GPU was installed..

this 47GB rip was the only one with such file size... Other movies in my HDD very in file sizes.. ( 5 GB - 15 GB)...

When i play 15gb files, there is no lag.. It juz plays perfectly...

Bang on humblebee. One thing is clear. Your graphics card is not doing the decoding and its being done by your cpu. Hence the lag. While the movie is being played, open movie setings and enable DXVA. CPU is more than capable. If ion based platforms can play HD well, so can this! Its all about the right settings

DXVA was enabled on the XBMC video settings menu since the GPU was installed...

Ok since the video file is large, may be my CU & GPU together are not able to handle the HQ files.. Understand the limitation here..

But i don't understand the reason why there is a refresh lag when my wife plays Farm Ville 2 on Full Screen...

Am i missing any setting on the Geforce Nvidia settings of the GPU ?

Here is information on my Nividia control panel...

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional, 32-bit
DirectX version: 11.0
GPU processor: GeForce GT 610
Driver version: 320.49
Direct3D API version: 11
Direct3D feature level: 11_0
CUDA Cores: 48
Core clock: 810 MHz
Shader clock: 1620 MHz
Memory data rate: 1066 MHz
Memory interface: 64-bit
Memory bandwidth: 8.53 GB/s
Total available graphics memory: 3455 MB
Dedicated video memory: 2048 MB DDR3
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 1407 MB
Video BIOS version: 75.19.55.00.02
IRQ: 18
Bus: PCI Express x16
Device Id: 10DE 104A 622219DA
Part Number: 1310 0004

Does it show DXVA while playing the blu ray ISO. I am not sure but there is a setting in flash player which switches the dwcoding to graphics card. I am touring so cant guide exactly

Does it show DXVA while playing the blu ray ISO. I am not sure but there is a setting in flash player which switches the dwcoding to graphics card. I am touring so cant guide exactly

Not very sure vaibhav.. I ll check when i get back home & update you...

Not a problem. nothing urgent.. If you can guide me when you come back, well & good..

From hardware perspective, your HTPC is quite decent. You can try a few things. I come from linux world so my instructions may not be precise. In the nvdia control panel, see if sync settings are there. If there, enable sync for your display. Also enable sync to vblank if present. If none of these works, download openelec and test if it can play the iso. If it still doesn't work, let us know the video codec (screenshot with 'o' will be better) and we can further troubleshoot :).

Last edited:
It's mostly you CPU that cannot handle all that uncompressed audio/video processing. Check you CPU utilization while you are watching the movie.

DXVA was enabled in Video settings of XBMC...I went ahead & enabled DXVA2 in "Allow hardware acceleration"... Now it shows up when i press "O" when playing movies in XBMC...

From hardware perspective, your HTPC is quite decent. You can try a few things. I come from linux world so my instructions may not be precise. In the nvdia control panel, see if sync settings are there. If there, enable sync for your display. Also enable sync to vblank if present. If none of these works, download openelec and test if it can play the iso. If it still doesn't work, let us know the video codec (screenshot with 'o' will be better) and we can further troubleshoot :).

I checked in Nvidia control panel, there is no similar options like the ones you mentioned above...

I will try Openlec & try....

It's mostly you CPU that cannot handle all that uncompressed audio/video processing. Check you CPU utilization while you are watching the movie.

I checked the CPU utilization before & updated here before i enabled DXVA2 in " Allow hardware acceleration" in XBMC video setting mode...

This video stuttering happens when the video files contains DTS HD MA audio track... I have an other BR rip (MKV) of around 15GB which has the same problem...

Otherwise it just plays fine...

I had the same issue earlier when I used to use XBMC for all video playback. Not sure what was the reason (did not mind to investigate) as I am using the MPC-HC with Madvr for all the movie playback launched as an external player from XBMC. Try and use this player without Madvr if your CPU is not able to handle the processing. If MPC-HC is able to play your ISO file without any stuttering then you can make the necessary changes to the "playercorefactory.xml" file as suggested in the XBMC wiki and make it as external player. It definitely plays video better than XBMC. So give it a try..

Yup, I used MPC too, or occassionally PowerDVD 12. I have a 36 GB( DTS-MA) copy of Avatar that acts stubborn with most players, video and audio stutters(on an i5 3570k with 8GB RAM and AMD 6870 in CF) but plays perfectly in PDVD 12. So try an alternative player.

I had the same issue earlier when I used to use XBMC for all video playback. Not sure what was the reason (did not mind to investigate) as I am using the MPC-HC with Madvr for all the movie playback launched as an external player from XBMC. Try and use this player without Madvr if your CPU is not able to handle the processing. If MPC-HC is able to play your ISO file without any stuttering then you can make the necessary changes to the "playercorefactory.xml" file as suggested in the XBMC wiki and make it as external player. It definitely plays video better than XBMC. So give it a try..

sure i will try them & update here

Yup, I used MPC too, or occassionally PowerDVD 12. I have a 36 GB( DTS-MA) copy of Avatar that acts stubborn with most players, video and audio stutters(on an i5 3570k with 8GB RAM and AMD 6870 in CF) but plays perfectly in PDVD 12. So try an alternative player.

I will try this too..

WoW.. Am getting exposure to who lot of media players/centers that i haven't heard of other than VLC....

Thanks all.. Wonderful suggestions.....

I tried playing it on WMC... It prompted me to install a new Blu Ray disk software.... Any one tried that ?

i enabled the "Allow hardware accelaration DXVA2" in video settings menu of XBMC... & Luckily the movie plays wtihout a glitch.....:yahoo:

Sincere thanks to everyone who suggested tweaks....

After enabling DXVA2, i monitered the CPU usage by pressing "O" in XBMC menu... It was only 10%..:eek:hyeah:

But an other annoying thing after enabling DXVA2 is that i have noticed flashing of light when a movie is played... Sometimes i need to toggle "on" & "off" Sync playback to display...

I am planning to step-up my GPU & pass the existing one to my mom's PC....

I had some good reading about GPU, VRAM....Understand that AMD GPU works best when paired with AMD CPU......

Wanna try AMD/ATI HD 7750 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card with my PC as this is also AMD processor....

Will the upgrade yield better results than the existing card that i have now ?(ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 Synergy Edition 2 GB DDR3 Graphics Card)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back