Recommend the best 32" to 42" inch TV for watching cable TV

Partha.Nandi

Hi I am looking for a new TV, 42 " max to replace the dying LG Flatron 21" CRT TV that we had for last 14/15 years ( I think) . The TV is primarily for my parents and all they do is watch cable TV on it , yes the black cable that comes from the cable walah and gets connected to the back of your TV, and not it is not DTH connection. My plan is to go bigger then 21" but 42" is the max size I am looking at, although my budget is max Rs. 45,000 and therefore I may have to settle for a 32" LCD/Plasma or a CRT TV.

I may connect a DVD or Blur ray player later to it, DVD player being a greater chance then a Blue Ray player but as I said the TV will mainly be used for watching Cable TV channels.

I was initially think of getting a LCD or Plasma Full HD TV but heard that they are terrible in watching cable TV channels from the cable walah. Hence my confusion - should I buy a LCD or Plasma or CRT TV ? My place doesnt have DTH.

I look forward to receiving your valuable advices in this regard, and if possible, please specify the exact brand and model no please.

Thanking you in advance

Partha

For 45k, plasma are better option for 42in
Many 40in LCDs are available for same price like Philips,Samy

Check few poppular threads in TV section to get proper answer.

agree with Spiro.
But one heads up. How is the general lighting in the room? If the room is brightly lit, then 40" LCD would be a better choice than the 42" Plasma.

Hi I am looking for a new TV, 42 " max to replace the dying LG Flatron 21" CRT TV that we had for last 14/15 years ( I think) . The TV is primarily for my parents and all they do is watch cable TV on it , yes the black cable that comes from the cable walah and gets connected to the back of your TV, and not it is not DTH connection. My plan is to go bigger then 21" but 42" is the max size I am looking at, although my budget is max Rs. 45,000 and therefore I may have to settle for a 32" LCD/Plasma or a CRT TV.

I may connect a DVD or Blur ray player later to it, DVD player being a greater chance then a Blue Ray player but as I said the TV will mainly be used for watching Cable TV channels.

I was initially think of getting a LCD or Plasma Full HD TV but heard that they are terrible in watching cable TV channels from the cable walah. Hence my confusion - should I buy a LCD or Plasma or CRT TV ? My place doesnt have DTH.

I look forward to receiving your valuable advices in this regard, and if possible, please specify the exact brand and model no please.

Thanking you in advance

Partha

i recommend u a full HD(as U are interested in blueray player in future) LCD if u use it most of the time with SD
my suggestion is U should get a DTH.I'm surprised DTH is installed in remote villages where cable walas are not available
so U can install it any where in india and it works....
32 FHD are available at 35k-40k
if u can stretch a bit u can get 40" LG or samsung for 49k
compare both of them and pick the one you like...
i have a 530 sammy40 and i am satisfied with it...

On a side note...for them who are moving from the CRT 4:3 to LCD 16:9 aspect ratio here is the web site that allows you to compare screen area between different size screens. This give you a Good mapping of your size moving to LCD.

Compute TV dimensions

I thought DTH is available everywhere in Kolkata. Or do you mean dish installation restrictions at your apartment?
For primarily TV viewing I'd recommend a plasma. Get a 42 plasma. DTH looks better on it than on my 32 FHD LCD.

I recommend you 32"/37" LCD.
Anything more than 32" is BAD for normal cable.

You got to decide this first before anything else! If you decide on a bluray player, you need the 1080p resolution.

Owning a bluray player is not cheap. A good bluray player cost ~20k and the cost of ownership does not stop with this. Every bluray movie you buy will deduct 1200/- from your pocket. Ask yourself if you want to spend this much on a movie. For most people, going to a movie hall makes much sense.

Also without a dedicated HT setup for sound, you will not be able to appreciate the bluray quality to the max.

A DVD player with divx plaback is the most cost efective solution today.

I was initially think of getting a LCD or Plasma Full HD TV but heard that they are terrible in watching cable TV channels from the cable walah. Hence my confusion - should I buy a LCD or Plasma or CRT TV ?

Even 720p TV will look terrible for watching normal cable. The analog signal needs to be digitised and upscaled. It will magnify the errors in the transition too. With digital (DTH), this will be somewhat less.

Full HD Plasmas are out of your budget anyways.

For normal cable, the smaller the TV, the better. Trust me, from 21" TVs, 32" LCDs are a huge step up.

32" LCD TVs are best bet. Samsung and sony have better upscaling of SD. particularly sony bravia engine 3 (BE3).

There is also 37" LCD TVs from samsung that you can have a look at.

42" plasmas can be got for 40-45k from panasonic, LG and Samsung. But they will not be as good as 32" LCD for normal cable.

My place doesnt have DTH.

Thats a wonder. I thought DTH has more reachability than normal cable?

32" Samsung B450 now goes on sale for 27k in ebay. It may be grey market.
eBay India: BRAND NEW SAMSUNG LA32B450C4M 32" LCD TV (item 250520150518 end time 25-Nov-2009 14:39:52 IST)
Otherwise it will be ~30-32k

Sony Bravia 32" V Series (Close to 40k)

You can also audition the 720p panasonic 32" TVs in the range of ~30k.
32" C10 can be taken home for ~28k.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back