Recommendation for 65 inch television

manindra.mukherjee

I have been using a LG 42 inch plasma since 2012 and has been serving me well. Given the current situation , have been watching a lot of OTT content to while away time specially during the weekend with nothing much productive to do for the time being. Netflix , Prime Video , Hotstar and Sony Liv are usually the ones most watched. While I do have a cable connection (through Airtel Xstream Box) , we as a family rarely watch any channel (except some sports HD channel). Would request forum members suggestion on basis the the couple of points below :

1. I am still not convinced on upgrading the TV as the current TV is working fine. Its a 720p HD ready TV and does a pretty good job with 1080p videos on youtube , prime and netflix. The only reason that is tempting me to go for a larger TV is a more immersive experience while watching OTT 4K / HD content.

Is this is good time to invest in a large TV given that many of the recommended TVs in this forum as out of stock (Toshiba) or should I wait for a couple of months to wait for some new launches which might be coming up during the festive season

2. My viewing distance is ~9 feet . TV watching is from the sofa placed bang opposite. The room is brightly lit during the day with bright sunlight . I usually donot watch TV during the day and if at al I have to do so , I usually watch with curtains pulled to avoid glare and reflection . However at night , its a dimly lit environment which makes TV viewing decent on my plasma.
Is 65 inch screen the right choice for the viewing distance of 9 feet ? Also given the room lighting condition , what should be the way to go (as per my limited knowledge and coming from Plasma , I feel i should go for a VA panel)

3. PQ is the sole criteria for deciding my new TV model. As mentioned earlier , i watch a lot of OTT content and sports on HD channel as well as Hotstar . I am not into gaming neither I need a TV with integrated H--Fi sound. I have a separate AV receiver with speaker for the same. When I talk about PQ , I mean natural color tones , deep blacks and minimal motion blur specially watching soccer or cricket .

I am aware that not any particular TV would meet all the criteria specially with my limited budget. However would prefer to go with the one that ticks most number of criteria.

Looking forward to your recommendation , advice and suggestion and sorry for this slightly lengthy post.

I have been using a LG 42 inch plasma since 2012 and has been serving me well. Given the current situation , have been watching a lot of OTT content to while away time specially during the weekend with nothing much productive to do for the time being. Netflix , Prime Video , Hotstar and Sony Liv are usually the ones most watched. While I do have a cable connection (through Airtel Xstream Box) , we as a family rarely watch any channel (except some sports HD channel). Would request forum members suggestion on basis the the couple of points below :

1. I am still not convinced on upgrading the TV as the current TV is working fine. Its a 720p HD ready TV and does a pretty good job with 1080p videos on youtube , prime and netflix. The only reason that is tempting me to go for a larger TV is a more immersive experience while watching OTT 4K / HD content.

Is this is good time to invest in a large TV given that many of the recommended TVs in this forum as out of stock (Toshiba) or should I wait for a couple of months to wait for some new launches which might be coming up during the festive season

2. My viewing distance is ~9 feet . TV watching is from the sofa placed bang opposite. The room is brightly lit during the day with bright sunlight . I usually donot watch TV during the day and if at al I have to do so , I usually watch with curtains pulled to avoid glare and reflection . However at night , its a dimly lit environment which makes TV viewing decent on my plasma.
Is 65 inch screen the right choice for the viewing distance of 9 feet ? Also given the room lighting condition , what should be the way to go (as per my limited knowledge and coming from Plasma , I feel i should go for a VA panel)

3. PQ is the sole criteria for deciding my new TV model. As mentioned earlier , i watch a lot of OTT content and sports on HD channel as well as Hotstar . I am not into gaming neither I need a TV with integrated H--Fi sound. I have a separate AV receiver with speaker for the same. When I talk about PQ , I mean natural color tones , deep blacks and minimal motion blur specially watching soccer or cricket .

I am aware that not any particular TV would meet all the criteria specially with my limited budget. However would prefer to go with the one that ticks most number of criteria.

Looking forward to your recommendation , advice and suggestion and sorry for this slightly lengthy post.
My budget would be ~1L

Please look at Samsung Crystal series AU Series , AUE Series , TU series. These square of most of the criteria that you have mentioned 9 feet , 4k-UHD etc. OLED/QLED may come under 1L for 55 incher depending for festive or sales promotions. Again performance and color rendering depends on your settings and taste. Just suggesting . if you would like to consider there is Vu in flipkart and TCL in Amazon. I have seen their performance to be exceptional but every brand has its quirks, there are many satisfied owners of these brands too.

Do consider extended warranty if you don't mind and please consider an stable power supply. I use my TV as a panel and use firestick as the medium. For me the important aspects apart from performance ( blacks , colors , edge bleeding among others) is presence of 3/4 HDMI ports , one ARC or EARC , Optical for sure. Please look at the connectivity aspects also depending on your current and future usage.

I am in a similar situation as you. I have a samsung plasma as well in my lobby and looking for a 65 incher as an upgrade, although my viewing distance is 14 feet. At 9 feet, I am guessing even 55inch could work. If PQ is the main focus, you could look at deals got LG 55CX OLED. I have seen online deals of around 113-115k. A 65 incher would be more immersive but the PQ wont be much better than the plasma due to budget constraints. Newer models arnt going to bring any noticeable technology upgrade or price drop.
From 65 inchers, Samsung TUE60 seems to be the most VFM but stocks are running low. AUE is downgrade to TU for the same series.

For a 9' viewing distance, MI Q1 will be the best option. Anything below 65" won't work for you and even 65" will be a bit on the smaller side.

The Mi Q1 is a 75" TV and has FALD with 192 dimming zones. I don't think you'll find a better TV than that in your budget. The next best option will be Samsung frame (1.2 lakhs for 65") and Sony X9500G (if you can find one) for 1.5 lakhs. Then there's LG OLEDs for 1.8-1.9 lakhs.

I am also in same boat - have 51in Samsung plasma that just died - now looking for 65in as viewing distance is around 12feet. I was seriously contemplating vu 65in but not sure about brand performance and longevity.

I got a 96K offer from reliance digital for Sony X8000H 65 inch . Does this make sense . I was checking a few reviews and while overall seems to be doing a fairly decent job , not sure if that extra premium is worth it

I got a 96K offer from reliance digital for Sony X8000H 65 inch . Does this make sense . I was checking a few reviews and while overall seems to be doing a fairly decent job , not sure if that extra premium is worth it
I think it is 6-8 k cheaper than a normal offer. It's understandable and maybe just don't accept display units. Otherwise ok deal. But please remember this 8000h is a very ordinary TV. It won't even sometimes pair with a BT headset.

Spend 20k more and get the Frame or the Mi QLED. No point in spending 1 lac to get an IPS panel without local dimming.

Spend 20k more and get the Frame or the Mi QLED. No point in spending 1 lac to get an IPS panel without local dimming.
Thanks...that's what I am planning to....both Frame and MiQ1 are showing not deliverable though or out of stock for Mumbai. I personally am inclined towards MiQ1

Thanks...that's what I am planning to....both Frame and MiQ1 are showing not deliverable though or out of stock for Mumbai. I personally am inclined towards MiQ1
Wait for the lockdown to clear on 31st(hopefully). After that, they should be deliverable.

The traders union has lobbied the government to get deliveries banned right now since they won't be earning, which is just unfortunate and petty.

Wait for the lockdown to clear on 31st(hopefully). After that, they should be deliverable.

The traders union has lobbied the government to get deliveries banned right now since they won't be earning, which is just unfortunate and petty.
That’s the right thing to do. The local traders are closed due to COVID lockdown. They can’t even do deliveries. So the govt should support them to ban the online deliveries in their areas. I don’t think it’s unfortunate or petty at all.

That’s the right thing to do. The local traders are closed due to COVID lockdown. They can’t even do deliveries. So the govt should support them to ban the online deliveries in their areas. I don’t think it’s unfortunate or petty at all.
The right thing to do will be to allow everyone to do deliveries, but traders union didn't want that since they'd earn very less and Amazon/Flipkart a lot.

Anyway, we're going off-topic.

Do not take the display unit unless they throw in 3-4 year extended warranty for free as well.

Given that both 65 inch Frame and 75 inch Mi retail around 1.2L, should I also look at a 55 inch LG BX as well. While I am inclined towards a large screen , the PQ of an OLED is also something which is putting me in this dilemma.

Also any idea whether Reliance Digital does exchange of old TVs

I am also in same boat - have 51in Samsung plasma that just died - now looking for 65in as viewing distance is around 12feet. I was seriously contemplating vu 65in but not sure about brand performance and longevity.
When my 51 inch Samsung plasma died after 7 years, I asked for repair from company. They didn't have parts. So they bought back the TV and gave me Rs. 8500. I hope you didn't throw away your dead TV.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back