Recommendation for Speakers + Integrated Amp setup under ₹2 Lakh

thenightking

Hello Folks,

I'm in need of suggestions for Bookshelf Speakers + Integrated Amp setup under 2 Lakhs.

Room Size -
Height : 9 Feet
Width : 11 Feet
Length : 12.5 Feet

Music Preference - Techno (with good low end response but clear instruments), instrumental & experimental songs like Batu, Overmono, Christian Loffler, Jacob Groening, Tool, Extrawelt, NTO, Stephan Bodzin etc.

A bit about the history of Speakers that I have listened to, for a considerable amount of time -

1. Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 4 - have these since 2019. They will always be my first love. I really love the low end response of the speaker. Fell in love when I listened to Magic by Coldplay.

2. Edifier 1280 BT - Gifted by a close friend. This was the first time I owned a proper L/R speaker setup. The soundstage created by these speakers made me realize what I was missing out on, in the Onyx Studio 4. When I close my eyes, I feel I'm facing a live stage.

3. ELAC Debut 2.0 b6.2 + Marrantz PM 8006 + REL Subwoofer - Owned by the closed friend, who gifted me the Edifiers. These speakers are just out of the world (for me). The amount of clarity in higher frequencies accompanied by the precise low end response are amazing. They are the kind of speakers that make me want to sit in the room rather than go clubbing, because of the energy & excitement in the soundstage.

While researching for speakers, I got hooked to KEF Q350, but was made aware that the current price doesn't justify them. Then I started looking for speakers in a slightly higher price bracket & liked the KEF LS 50 Meta as well as Bowers & Wilkins 606 S2.

Whichever setup I choose, I will always end up comparing it with the ELACs.

Open to all suggestions...

Hello Friend

I highly recommend that you demo some of the speakers before making a purchase decision preferably at your listening place.

You can possibly look into Dali Oberons and Whaferdale Denton/Lintons(shady delaer revolver club has them on a good price) or Fynee Audio 500s.

For IA you can look into Audiolab 6000a as it has a good DAC however I have heard that they can be a bit sharp so need to be careful with speaker pairing.

If you looking to get second-hand speakers, then I know someone selling Rethm Bhaava speakers for a good deal. And I doubt <1lakh can buy you anything better.

Rethm Bhaava are not suitable for the room size. Stick to bookshelves. I would suggest used route if you are comfortable with it, you can get very good setup in your budget, which is quite healthy.

3. ELAC Debut 2.0 b6.2 + Marrantz PM 8006 + REL Subwoofer - Owned by the closed friend, who gifted me the Edifiers. These speakers are just out of the world (for me). The amount of clarity in higher frequencies accompanied by the precise low end response are amazing. They are the kind of speakers that make me want to sit in the room rather than go clubbing, because of the energy & excitement in the soundstage.

While researching for speakers, I got hooked to KEF Q350, but was made aware that the current price doesn't justify them. Then I started looking for speakers in a slightly higher price bracket & liked the KEF LS 50 Meta as well as Bowers & Wilkins 606 S2.

You have answered your own question, in the end if the comparison is inevitable then better get the elac combo you heard and save yourself the trouble of running through different brands

You have answered your own question, in the end if the comparison is inevitable then better get the elac combo you heard and save yourself the trouble of running through different brands
Yes. This makes very much sense.

Elac's unifi reference speaks can be a decent upgrade.

Hello Folks,

I'm in need of suggestions for Bookshelf Speakers + Integrated Amp setup under 2 Lakhs.

Room Size -

Music Preference - Techno (with good low end response but clear instruments), instrumental & experimental songs like Batu, Overmono, Christian Loffler, Jacob Groening, Tool, Extrawelt, NTO, Stephan Bodzin etc.

A bit about the history of Speakers that I have listened to, for a considerable amount of time -

1. Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 4 - have these since 2019. They will always be my first love. I really love the low end response of the speaker. Fell in love when I listened to Magic by Coldplay.

2. Edifier 1280 BT - Gifted by a close friend. This was the first time I owned a proper L/R speaker setup. The soundstage created by these speakers made me realize what I was missing out on, in the Onyx Studio 4. When I close my eyes, I feel I'm facing a live stage.

Get the amp or speaker of your choice and compromise on the other component. I am sure few months later you will be bitten by the upgrade bug then you will have one item to upgrade.

+1

If memory serves me right there are some active Elac's too. I think the elac Navis or something that one gentleman had on here, and is very happy with them. Might be worth considering.

ELACs have nice warm bass and are quite smooth on top. If you like it just go for that. Any other suggestions would be based on other people’s preferences. At the same time, it’s wiser to audition some speakers which are totally polar opposite in sound. For example, KEF R3 Metas, Dynaudio evokes, wharfedale Lintons.

You should also consider Rega Brio amp. Although it is 50 watts, it is very punchy and dynamic.
As far as Rel subs in your price range go, they don’t dig low. For techno, I doubt you will be thrilled with a Rel. so, please please audition before taking a call.

What is going to be the front end ??
If its a single source

Then just get a power amp

1- 1.4 lac power amp
1 lac speaker

Loads of options

If memory serves me right there are some active Elac's too. I think the elac Navis or something that one gentleman had on here, and is very happy with them. Might be worth considering.

Hello Folks,

Room Size -

So here is my suggestion after doing like 4 years of research, and recently settled for Polk R200 + Denon PMA 900 hne.

Speaker Options:
Polk R200 (fuller sound like a tower + smooth), KEF Q350 (balanced), Fyne 500s (smooth, needs good amp), Elac DBR62 (Good Clarity can be harsh when long listening)

Amps:
Denon pma 900hne, Audiolab 6000, Cambridge audio cxa81

Now if you are lucky you can try some combos if any nearby store provides the demo.

Settle for any of these you will not regret, I got myself Polk+Denon because of the sheer energy they produce and they can handle most types of music. Also look for service scenario in your area. There is no point in breaking the bank to get your system repaired later.

Also consider budget for cables and voltage stabilizer or UPS in your purchase.

Try QAcoustics 5020 or concept 30 and Rega brio. Or u can try cambridge amps . I just bought 5020 and those were the best i listened in a normal room . Elac i see so many suggested but i feel qacoustic is way better in a normal not so perfect room setup. Elac i listened in a treated room and still was not so dynamic with marantz 7000n. Audition all that you can .

So how are you liking your Polk R200 + Denon PAM900 combo.

A short review would be useful to many.
Sure, will keep it short. So my listening pattern is of two types:
  1. When I am relaxing or working with concentration and sit very near to speakers (3-4 ft). In this way I keep the volume low ~15% and play some Rahman songs, Coke Studio recordings or Kawalis or Pink Floyd. I really like how all those little sounds are coming out of these speakers without the need of cranking up the volume and listening is effortless no fatigue even if I listen to them for 2-3 hrs straight.
  2. When it's Friday night and my little kids and wifey are up for a party and dancing. In this case its all bollywood party songs, songs from any latest movie and volume level is around 30-40%. In this case speakers comes to life and has an energy which makes us dance and enjoy.
My listening room is not perfect, it just a living room but I have installed some heavy curtains and one wall has some acousting treatment as all other walls are 80% glass.

I usually stream from Spotify connect or use airplay in case song is not on Spotify. Sorry for not writing an audiophile sort of review but yes this is how I enjoy this combo and I am really happy with it.

I have auditioned to lots speakers and amps within my budget way out of my budget I liked the polk+denon most within my budget. If I had more money to spend would have gone for Focal chora or aria floorstanding speakers they both were amazing even on mid range amp marantz pm7000n.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back