Recommendations for Upgrade path/scenarios

Happy New Year to all!

Current Setup - Leak Stereo 130 with Q Acoustics 3020i and Wiim Mini in a 30 ft by 20 ft living room. Given the size, looking at adding substantial low end performance to my setup.

Possible scenarios:
1) Get a dedicated sub (Any recommendations would be helpful for budget around 40-50K)
2) Get floorstanders - current shortlists between Q acoustics 3050i, Q acoustics 5040 or Wharfedale Lintons (any other recommendations in this budget would be helpful)
3) Consider only room treatment/acoustics and ignore the above

Thanks so much in advance.

In my humble opinion,

1 - A sub should definitely be considered.
2 - Floor-standers would help get louder and "maybe" fuller, but won't substitute for a sub.
3 - Room acoustic treatment will definitely help, but again won't substitute for a sub.

In my knowledge, no speakers in the budget category (or maybe even TOTL) are designed to go as low as a subwoofer, even if they say so on paper, I have never come across one that can.

Your room is fairly large, so you may still feel the need for larger speakers, but I believe the sub + speakers should do it.

I have a very similar sized drawing room, where I have QAcoustics Concept 20s + QA QB12 subwoofer. I have never felt the need for larger speakers, nor have I ever felt the need to pump up the volume - they get pretty loud & sound pretty good.

In my humble opinion,

1 - A sub should definitely be considered.
2 - Floor-standers would help get louder and "maybe" fuller, but won't substitute for a sub.
3 - Room acoustic treatment will definitely help, but again won't substitute for a sub.

In my knowledge, no speakers in the budget category (or maybe even TOTL) are designed to go as low as a subwoofer, even if they say so on paper, I have never come across one that can.

Your room is fairly large, so you may still feel the need for larger speakers, but I believe the sub + speakers should do it.

I have a very similar sized drawing room, where I have QAcoustics Concept 20s + QA QB12 subwoofer. I have never felt the need for larger speakers, nor have I ever felt the need to pump up the volume - they get pretty loud & sound pretty good.
Thanks a lot.

So, just to clarify, you are saying just go with a sub as first priority vs the floorstanders? The sub mentioned is as much/close (1 Lakh) to the floorstanders and so a bit confused right now.

Any other cheaper sub recommendations you'd have which will make a substantial difference when paired with the 3020i?

I definitely cannot get both a sub and floorstanders.

So, just to clarify, you are saying just go with a sub as first priority vs the floorstanders?

I am suggesting that yes, as I would do that too.

ALSO I am not suggesting the exact sub - that was an example as I have that sub. Nor am I suggesting that the subwoofer will be the answer to all your needs.

I am trying to say is that - it may need a bit of everything, however a subwoofer will be the easiest way to augment the sound in a good way. As the bookshelves you have may not be able to produce anything meaningful below - maybe 50/60HZ odd or maybe even higher.

A sub can - MAYBE - remove the need for a larger speaker, as it did in my case. A bit of room treatment will help, but you may get away without.

Eventually it will all depend on what works for you based on what your expectations are.

Now coming to subwoofer under 50K - there are a fair bunch of those these days - I SADLY do not however have much experience with them. However there are lots of threads here on this forum on this topic, where a lot has already been said and discussed. I would suggest you go through those. A few for reference -

In my opinion, if you have the budget, go for the lintons.

They have fantastic bass. Down the road, you can upgrade to a better amp which can make the bass lil more articulate.

In my humble opinion, the issue with subs is integration. For good and seamless integration, you need to climb up the price ladder. Also, your speakers even with a good sub woofers won't sound as full, balanced, warm and organic as a good three way speaker design like Lintons. If budget permits.

In short, If you want better sound, upgrade to Lintons. Conversely, if you just need to add heft to your current speaker, you may add a sub woofer.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back