Exploring upgrade paths - ₹50k Budget

sudokpr

Given the current basic setup and an upgrade budget of 50k, what would be your preferred upgrade path?

The current setup consists of:
- Wiim mini
- SMSL D6 DAC
- Aiyima A07 amplifier
- Elac Debut 2 B6.2 speakers (mounted on heavy gauge speaker stands)

This setup is quite modest, with the speakers accounting for 50% of the total chain's cost, followed by the DAC at 30% of the budget.

Potential upgrade paths include:
1. Amplifier Upgrade
2. Adding a Subwoofer
3. Room treatment (measurement mic and acoustic panels)
4. Room correction (measurement mic and DSP)
5. Postponing the upgrade and save more money

Which path do you think would best enhance your audio experience within the given budget constraints?

I'd like to emphasize that I'm quite content with the current setup and the sound it delivers. However, I'm experiencing that "upgrade itch" and hope to enhance the overall experience even further.

Additionally, if there are any alternative upgrade paths that I may have overlooked, I'm open to exploring those as well.

With the above setup, I would start with upgrading the amp first. I would look an amp which will have enough power to drive a floor standing speak and make it furture proof. A poweramp will be a good option. If you are looking to add a sub woofer to the current setup, most of the poweramps don't have a subwoofer output. Then you are left with integrated amps. If you are planning to upgrade your bookshelf to floor standers, you may not need a sub woofer because the floor standers will have enough bass. Room treatment will be next, but try experimenting with speaker placement before going for room treatment.

Given the current basic setup and an upgrade budget of 50k, what would be your preferred upgrade path?

The current setup consists of:
- Wiim mini
- SMSL D6 DAC
- Aiyima A07 amplifier
- Elac Debut 2 B6.2 speakers (mounted on heavy gauge speaker stands)

This setup is quite modest, with the speakers accounting for 50% of the total chain's cost, followed by the DAC at 30% of the budget.

Potential upgrade paths include:
1. Amplifier Upgrade
2. Adding a Subwoofer
3. Room treatment (measurement mic and acoustic panels)
4. Room correction (measurement mic and DSP)
5. Postponing the upgrade and save more money

Which path do you think would best enhance your audio experience within the given budget constraints?

I'd like to emphasize that I'm quite content with the current setup and the sound it delivers. However, I'm experiencing that "upgrade itch" and hope to enhance the overall experience even further.

Additionally, if there are any alternative upgrade paths that I may have overlooked, I'm open to exploring those as well.
If you have a dedicated room to yourselves, then treating the room will be the biggest possible bang for buck. However, it takes a significant amount of treatment to make it all worth while, hence only go down this path, if you are fully committed. Adding a few panels at first reflection points does have benefits, but depending on how lively the room is, the gains might not be noticeable. So best to start bottom up, by treating for bass first. Then try to make the room as quite as possible, by sealing the doors and windows to be acoustically tight. Next you can consider ceiling, followed by the side walls.

IMHO 4. Room correction (measurement mic and DSP) will go a long way and is something that can be used for any of your future upgrades.

Also which power supply do you use with the Aiyima AMP?

if Aiyima A07 amplifier is sufficient to power the power-hungry Elac debut B6.2, then a DAC or streamer upgrade will do. If not a nice amp like Rega Brio will do wonders. There's an Audiolab 6000a for sale in the classified section. That is also a good choice and the inbuilt dac of that amp is very good too.

Thank you for all the inputs.

It seems there are many suggestions to upgrade to a better amplifier that would also be future-proof for floor standers. Thanks @bobbyndd for your advice

I realize I should have shared more about my room dimensions and setup to help decide on the room treatment. I don't have a dedicated room, but I do have a secondary living room upstairs where I can add acoustic panels without worrying about aesthetics. The room is 10ft x 7ft, rectangular in shape. One length side leads to the staircase and has no proper wall, while the opposite side has a door, preventing me from placing the speakers symmetrically. One speaker is closer to a side wall than the other, so I have some restrictions on what can be done.

Then try to make the room as quite as possible, by sealing the doors and windows to be acoustically tight.
I'm afraid this can't be done since one side leads to an open staircase. The funny thing is, I can't turn up the volume when everyone is at home, especially my parents. So, whenever they step out, I seize the opportunity for a music listening session.
@Yelamanchili manohar, thank you for your advice on the step-by-step approach, starting with the lower frequencies. I was initially thinking of starting with the first reflection points. As you mentioned, it requires significant commitment to make a noticeable difference and truly hear an upgrade.

IMHO 4. Room correction (measurement mic and DSP) will go a long way and is something that can be used for any of your future upgrades.

Also which power supply do you use with the Aiyima AMP?
@dafreaking, I'm quite inclined towards this option because I've read many posts on this forum from members who use DSP and appreciate the possibilities it offers. Audio purists might not approve, but I like the idea of having DSP in the chain to alter the sound signature with the click of a button. It sounds like a fun upgrade path to me, especially with the newer miniDSP units featuring digital inputs/outputs, which avoid repeated analog/digital conversions. By the way, my Aiyima A07 came with the 32V power supply, which I am currently using.

There's an Audiolab 6000a for sale in the classified section
Thanks @ajuvignesh, If I decide to upgrade the amplifier, this would be a good one. Thanks for mentioning it.

ad subwoofer, end of topic. don't buy anything else.
@Nero9, I'm not yet convinced with this option, but I've heard that taking the low frequencies off the main speakers can work wonders. I still need to understand how to keep the subwoofer volume in sync with the main speakers. I'm not sure if the Aiyima A07 AUX port is designed to connect to a powered subwoofer. If not, I may need to first upgrade to an integrated amplifier with a sub out.

@Nero9, I'm not yet convinced with this option, but I've heard that taking the low frequencies off the main speakers can work wonders. I still need to understand how to keep the subwoofer volume in sync with the main speakers. I'm not sure if the Aiyima A07 AUX port is designed to connect to a powered subwoofer. If not, I may need to first upgrade to an integrated amplifier with a sub out.
If you choose something like a Rel T5x, you can directly connect the sub to the speaker terminals of the amp.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back