Record breaking: The 41-megapixel 'Nokia 808 PureView'

EthenHunt

Record breaking 41 MP Nokia 808 has been shown in MWC 2012 today. The specs and the photos looks amazing..

This is what the camera is capable of doing as per the Nokia europe website.
Amazzing......

Main camera

* 41 MP sensor with PureView Pro imaging technology and Carl Zeiss optics
* Video resolutions: Full HD (1920x1080) 30fps [Default], HD (1280x720) 30fps, nHD (640x360) 30fps
* Slide Zoom: 4x1080p [Default], 6x 720p, 12x360p
* Frame rates supported: 15, 24, 25, 30fps
* Stereo High Amplitude Audio Capture (HAAC)

Video encoding: H264 High Profile Level 4.0, H263 / audio: 128 kbps, 48 kHz
Three shooting modes: Auto, Scenes, Creative
Integrated video editor for trimming video

Any Avid Photographer will tell you that megapixels is a load of crap.

The race for who has the most megapixels is pretty similiar to Amplifiers a couple of years ago ..Which one has the most amount of watts .
Well we all know that watts isn't everything and its how it produces those watts is actually the most important.
Read : Pumped up figures Sony / Aiwa / Philips/ Samsung etc vs Mediocre Power rating NAD, Arcam, NAIM, Rotel etc

Well however 41 MP is crazy ..Def a record of some sorts atleast for a Phone. wonder what the file size would be and the time it takes to write it on the flash drive or internal drive of the Phone.

Hope its not a case of click a Pic of your GF now and by the time it saves the file you are sitting at home having dinner with your Wife with your phone right next to her :D:D

Creating more and more pixels on a given size generally leads to quality drop. If they start making larger sensors then having higher pixels will make sense.

For me -
Camera is still for taking photographs.
Phone is for communicating.

An odd looking rear. But not bad.
I doubt it is 41 MP """could""" be a case of upsampling.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Nokia PureView 808 - 522.jpg
    Nokia PureView 808 - 522.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 200
  • nokia-pureview-808-hands-on-review-0.jpg
    nokia-pureview-808-hands-on-review-0.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 201
even if it has the sensor, I am not aware of cards that can handle that kind of data transfer speed in raw mode, each pic will be like 160mb, it will take something like 7-8 seconds to just save the photo.

Any Avid Photographer will tell you that megapixels is a load of crap.

The race for who has the most megapixels is pretty similiar to Amplifiers a couple of years ago ..Which one has the most amount of watts .
Well we all know that watts isn't everything and its how it produces those watts is actually the most important.
Read : Pumped up figures Sony / Aiwa / Philips/ Samsung etc vs Mediocre Power rating NAD, Arcam, NAIM, Rotel etc

Well however 41 MP is crazy ..Def a record of some sorts atleast for a Phone. wonder what the file size would be and the time it takes to write it on the flash drive or internal drive of the Phone.

Hope its not a case of click a Pic of your GF now and by the time it saves the file you are sitting at home having dinner with your Wife with your phone right next to her :D:D

Rightly said. It is a myth that the more a megapixel a camera has the better the pictures would be. Its one big fat lie that had been ingrained in our minds by the companies.

One megapixel is equivalent to a million teeny weeny dots. On one hand, though it would seem that more a megapixel a camera has the end result should be a sharper picture but it could also mean a terrible picture made of more dots than actually required. I am not saying that the mega pixels would not enhance a picture but there are a lot of other factors that come into play in a great picture and these could range from lightning and composition, angle of the shot, the lens of the camera, the camera's internal circuitry, the mastery of the end user etc.

Having said this, it is commendable that Nokia had been able to achieve 41 mps in a phone. This is what is interesting... the technology.

Last edited:
I've owned and used a lot of camera phones... even the Nokia N8 and yet to my memory I found the 2 MP Sony Ericsson K750i to be the best of the lot.

In fact the Sony Ericsson K750i handled more like a camera than a mobile.

Is that real 41MP or calculated?

When they say 41MP sensor, it better be actual sensor capability than software interpolated crap.

Either ways, 41MP is of little use on a phone since they always have below average optics...You simply cannot shrink lenses :lol:

I wish !!! but trying to save money from the thoughts of buying a separate camera. :)

It would be nice to have a cell phone with x-mp camera and xx optical zoom. :licklips:

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back