records wanted

tharun

hi friends

I am planning to buy a Turntable but where will i get brand new records , any stores in india ? and is it very difficult to maintain a TT? kindly advice ,

thanks in advance

tharun.

Hi tharun,
No ,its not tough to maintain a TT; it just requires as much care & onsideration as any other HiFi component-but, don't let your kid get his hands on it! Kids can screw up a TT big time.
As regards LPs, in India you'll mostly have to depend on Kabari Bazaars as LPs are no longer pressed here, else order them from abroad.

thanks Mr.Kamal and Anil , i plan to purchase only if get Records , otherwise its waste to buy a TT and wait for the records. In cochin i went to a place where they had plenty of records , but not in good shape . So planning to buy new records .

regards

Getting a good TT with all associated electronics is very expensive further software is not only expensive but difficult to source also. You may not get all those title you love to enjoy and remain restricted to whatsover titles you may gather within your budget.

Vinyl is good but costs are prohibitive , at least in India. I would rather suggest you to invest that money in a good CDP and amp that can go very close to analog like sound and then enjoy the unlimited choices of software - both in hard copy and High Res downloads (legal) format.

Getting a good TT with all associated electronics is very expensive further software is not only expensive but difficult to source also. You may not get all those title you love to enjoy and remain restricted to whatsover titles you may gather within your budget.

Vinyl is good but costs are prohibitive , at least in India. I would rather suggest you to invest that money in a good CDP and amp that can go very close to analog like sound and then enjoy the unlimited choices of software - both in hard copy and High Res downloads (legal) format.

You are right Mr.Sughas , but the sound frm the TT is so addictive that its even worth spending double the amount then a normal CDP , i have auditioned some TT and the pure analouge sound is mind blowing. But as you said its costilier then the CDPs and getting the titles is another issue. Is there no stores in our country which sells records?

regards

Hi guys,
I have found a very good source for LPs and 78s and old turntables/gramophones. This shop is at Avenue Road and the contact person's name is Balaji. If you live in bangalore then you should pay a visit to their shop.
Balaji's contact #: 9342410288, 65956427
Also, they will be happy to sent what ever you require via mail.
Cheers,
redlag

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Finally there is a dedicated vinyls store selling all kinds of vinyl records at reasonable prices:

MusicCircle
V Mall, Shop No. 40, Ground Floor
Thakur Complex
Kandivali (East)
Mumbai 400101
Email.: [email protected]
Phone: 09820365979

If you are into Western music, Discogs is a very good source. They would courier you very good to mint records in excellent packing. I have personal experience.

hi friends

I am planning to buy a Turntable but where will i get brand new records , any stores in india ? and is it very difficult to maintain a TT? kindly advice ,

thanks in advance

tharun.

Tharun, you have good intentions and your interpretations are right. The world of vinyl is not something for everyone. Firstly you must have genuine love for the format (which is not easy). Its easy for older guys like myself to do this as we have grown up listening to vinyl and there is a huge nostalgia factor. Make yourself familiar with the format first. I've never relied on forums for guidance and have only believed what I've seen or heard. Likes and Dislikes are all very personal and what appeals to others is not necessarily something that will appeal to you. The other way round as well.

To really enjoy vinyl, you've got to have (1) a decent turntable and cart, (2) a decent phonostage, amp and speakers, and most importantly (3) records in great physical condition and also original analogue pressings. Getting all 3 of these combinations right is a very expensive and difficult proposition. If you are looking for true vinyl nirvana, let me give you some numbers for reference:

• High quality turntable with transcription tonearm and high end cart, around 2 L INR
  • High end phonostage (preferably tubes). around 1 - 1.5L INR
  • A great amp and speakers, around 2-3L INR
  • Original Mint pressings, preferably from the country of origin of the artist, anything between 1.5-10k INR, a piece

Having said that, by spending much less you can also achieve great results. In my opinion, there is no point wasting time with belt drives and idler drive turntables of all types. These can be tweaked to achieve great levels of perfection but the work and time involved is just not worth it. Its alright if you are sitting on your father's green stockpile and don't have to sweat it out for a living but otherwise, my opinion is - stay away from these varieties!! I have owned and flavored some of these legends and this opinion is based on this first hand ownership experience.

Your best bet is a direct drive legend in great condition. You can start as low as the mass market Japanese DDs from the likes of Sony, Akai, Sansui, Hitachi and JVC, or go a bit higher with the mass market Technics DDs. Technics DDs in decent condition are miles above all their Japanese and European counterparts and cost less, in some cases, too. In my opinion, there is nothing on earth that can match the Technics SL1200 or 1210. These are the safest bet if you want to enjoy real vinyl. In my opinion, they are better than all that is out there. Then, if you are bold enough, then get the SP25, SP15, SP20 or better still, the SP10 Mk2. They are especially good when used in broadcast configuration. But having said this, you will almost never come across these.

Regarding records, have 2 turntables set up. Use a really good turntable with a really good cart and phonostage for new or mint records. For old records or preused records, keep a secondary technics DD turntable with s-shared tonearm and a shure m44-7 cart. This configuration will track almost all records and is the best combo for playing old records.

This is exactly the approach I have taken and am satisfied with the results. I have been around with vinyl since my childhood, over 40 years ago :)

All the very best!!

JFYI: This seems like a very very old thread "20th August 2008, 07:49 PM" and the FM was last active "Last Activity: 31st May 2010 10:12 AM".

Just for info.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back