Rega Apollo or Marantz SA7001

i dont even know why the question is arising. stop thinking and go for the apollo. its reputation alone is impeccable. and at that price its a steal. i also doubt customs officials will be worried about someone bringing in a cdp:)

Hi guys,

My new Rega Apollo finally arrived this evening all the way from London.. Noticed some changes immediately and I'm simply loving this player.. Vocals have never sounded so real..

A special thanks to all those who helped me make up my mind.. My next AV purchase would be the last component in the chain (Speakers).. would soon be back for your suggestions, but for now I have to repair the damage caused to my wallet.. lolzz

Thanks again and happy listening!!

Prashanth

@prashanth14485
Congrats. Good choice. What amp you have now?
Please post some pics :licklips:

Last edited:
Congrats Prashant. How much did you pay for the Rega and how much is the MRP here. Whats your associated equipments. Enjoy your new system.

cheers.

Prashant, congrats! Which speakers are you using now?

You will find it funny if you knew that I still use my Jamo S416 front towers for music.. (not out of choice). I was planning to buy a pair of speakers only with the money I spent on Rega until the time I realized what difference a source can bring to the sound.. and believe me, my jamo's actually don't sound as bad and boomy as they used to while playing from a DVD player..

My next endeavor would be to get a nice pair of speakers and hopefully no later than April.. In the meanwhile I will purchase a good interconnect (have a couple of options but haven't really decided as yet).. will definitely let you know when I get them..

Cheers!

Congrats Prashant. How much did you pay for the Rega and how much is the MRP here. Whats your associated equipments. Enjoy your new system.

cheers.

As I told you earlier, I got the CDP from London and cousin brought it along.. I did a bank transfer over and she got it as though it was for her so no customs or anything because she lives and works in the UK..

I got the player for GBP 435 plus 2k for the bank transfer.. so it costed me Rs 33k all inclusive while the MRP here was 57k quoted by the only rega dealer in pune... Its the one in black color.

It is only recently I learned about such systems so the other components aren't the best. I use a Marantz PM 15S1 intergrated amplifier (bought this from Siddarth Trehan) and now the only big challenge for me will be to get a pair of good speakers (bookshelves only) that will gel with these two..

The last time I auditioned speakers using my Amp was Focal Chorus 816 and MA Silver RX6.. And out of the two, I liked the Focals better because I found the MAs to be a touch bright for my liking.. They had very nice mid range but there wasn't any involvement either..

On the other hand, the focals were a little laid back as compared but yet full of detailing.. So I am thinking of picking up the focal 807 bookshelf assuming the same series would have the same sound signature.. what do you guys think? will this speaker be a good match? The only problem is that I can't audition the bookshelves because no dealer in delhi has a demo piece so it'll be a big gamble..

Also, the speakers have to be front ported because I don't have enough space from the rear wall..

Again, I really really appreciate all your help.. Guess what, my mom literally hated me for spending so much money on the player but all of that changed the moment we plugged and played it.. So thanks again..

I will post some pictures very soon..

Prashanth

Last edited:
Hi Prashanth

Do not place the cd player directly on top of the amp. Each component should be on its own shelf or platform.

As I told you earlier, I got the CDP from London and cousin brought it along.. I did a bank transfer over and she got it as though it was for her so no customs or anything because she lives and works in the UK..

I got the player for GBP 435 plus 2k for the bank transfer.. so it costed me Rs 33k all inclusive while the MRP here was 57k quoted by the only rega dealer in pune... Its the one in black color.

It is only recently I learned about such systems so the other components aren't the best. I use a Marantz PM 15S1 intergrated amplifier (bought this from Siddarth Trehan) and now the only big challenge for me will be to get a pair of good speakers (bookshelves only) that will gel with these two..

The last time I auditioned speakers using my Amp was Focal Chorus 816 and MA Silver RX6.. And out of the two, I liked the Focals better because I found the MAs to be a touch bright for my liking.. They had very nice mid range but there wasn't any involvement either..

On the other hand, the focals were a little laid back as compared but yet full of detailing.. So I am thinking of picking up the focal 807 bookshelf assuming the same series would have the same sound signature.. what do you guys think? will this speaker be a good match? The only problem is that I can't audition the bookshelves because no dealer in delhi has a demo piece so it'll be a big gamble..

Also, the speakers have to be front ported because I don't have enough space from the rear wall..

Again, I really really appreciate all your help.. Guess what, my mom literally hated me for spending so much money on the player but all of that changed the moment we plugged and played it.. So thanks again..

I will post some pictures very soon..

Prashanth

congrats on the apollo. thats a really good buy. you wont have to think of an upgrade on that one for as long as it lasts.

you said you found the ma's a bit bright. what was the rest of the set up. what amp will you be using in your setup

I use a Marantz PM 15S1 intergrated amplifier (bought this from Siddarth Trehan) and now the only big challenge for me will be to get a pair of good speakers (bookshelves only) that will gel with these two..

The last time I auditioned speakers using my Amp was Focal Chorus 816 and MA Silver RX6.. And out of the two, I liked the Focals better because I found the MAs to be a touch bright for my liking..

On the other hand, the focals were a little laid back as compared but yet full of detailing.. So I am thinking of picking up the focal 807 bookshelf assuming the same series would have the same sound signature.. what do you guys think?

Looks like we have similar taste and trust me if you liked the focal sound then no speaker can satisfy you, go ahead and buy the chorus bookshelf and they pair very well with Marantz PM 15S1.

I find focal sound to be very pleasing, i have the Electra bookshelf.

best of luck.

congrats on the apollo. thats a really good buy. you wont have to think of an upgrade on that one for as long as it lasts.

you said you found the ma's a bit bright. what was the rest of the set up. what amp will you be using in your setup

I used my Marantz PM 15S1 integrated amp.. earlier, i heard it on a Manley Shrimp Tube Pre and Quad power combo which made it sound even more shrill and bright.. I thought it was relatively better while using my marantz but i won't go for it either ways.. Thanks AFJ

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back